[SOLVED]No sound in cauldron

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Re: No sound in cauldron

Postby banjo » Mar 16th, '23, 19:59

Just to see what would happen, I enabled the tainted repositories and did an update.

Code: Select all
# urpmq --list-media active --list-url
Core Release https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/release
Core Updates https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/updates
Nonfree Release https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/nonfree/release
Nonfree Updates https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/nonfree/updates
Tainted Release https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/tainted/release
Tainted Updates https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/tainted/updates
google-chrome http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64

I rebooted, and there is still no sound. However, the MCC now shows zenity mga9.

Screenshot_20230316_134154.png
Screenshot_20230316_134154.png (79.77 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

So I answered my own question about where is the mga9 version of zenity. It is in the tainted repositories.

On another whim, I tried once again to install pa-switcher, and it succeeds.

# urpmi pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
  Package                        Version      Release       Arch
(medium "Core Release")
  zenity                         3.43.0       1.mga9        x86_64
(command line)
  pa-switcher                    0.0.5        1.mga9        noarch
10MB of additional disk space will be used.
3MB of packages will be retrieved.
Proceed with the installation of the 2 packages? (Y/n) y

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/zenity-3.43.0-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
SECURITY: The following package is _NOT_ signed (OK ((none))): pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
installing pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/zenity-3.43.0-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...                     ###############################################################################################
      1/2: zenity                ###############################################################################################
      2/2: pa-switcher           ###############################################################################################

So, the "broken" bit of my system that prevented me from installing pa-switcher was just that I had not enabled the tainted repos, so it was picking up old versions.

Next, I will try to get the sound working with pa-switcher, but I am still puzzled as to why pipewire doesn't work.

Stay tuned.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby sturmvogel » Mar 16th, '23, 20:19

Zenity is in the core repo as also can be seen in your output. But your local repo cache was not actual. By adding the tainted repo you refreshed your cache so you where able to see zenity.
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/zenity-3.43.0-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm

There seems to be a heavily modified behaviour on your system as packages get installed out of cache instead of getting downloaded and installed directly from the mirror. I never have seen such an terminal output on any of my systems when installing packages. Maybe Morgan or doktor5000 can shed some light on this.
Strange lines from your output:
SECURITY: The following package is _NOT_ signed (OK ((none))): pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/zenity-3.32.0-2.mga8.x86_64.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/lib64javascriptcoregtk4.0_18-2.34.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/lib64webkit2gtk4.0_37-2.34.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/lib64icu69-69.1-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/webkit2-2.34.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/icu69-data-69.1-1.mga9.noarch.rpm

installing pa-switcher-0.0.5-1.mga9.noarch.rpm
/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/zenity-3.43.0-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
sturmvogel

Postby banjo » Mar 16th, '23, 21:01

Interesting observations. The MCC did show zenity before I added the tainted repos, but it was mga8. After I added tainted, the MCC shows mga9. Does the MCC look in the cache?

I ran pa-switcher and told it to switch to pulseaudio,

[brian@BSKQuadCore ~]$ pa-switcher
Switching to Pulseaudio
Disabling pipewire.socket
Disabling wireplumber.service
Switching to pulseaudio
Package pipewire-alsa not installed, so not removing anything
Package task-pulseaudio not installed, installing
urpmi task-pulseaudio
The following packages have to be removed for others to be upgraded:
pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pulseaudio-module-gsettings)
task-pipewire-9-2.mga9.noarch
 (due to missing pipewire-pulseaudio) (y/N) y
(medium "Core Release")
  paprefs                        1.2          1.mga9        x86_64 
  pulseaudio                     16.1         13.mga9       x86_64 
  pulseaudio-module-gsettings    16.1         13.mga9       x86_64 
  pulseaudio-module-x11          16.1         13.mga9       x86_64 
  pulseaudio-module-zeroconf     16.1         13.mga9       x86_64  (recommended)
  task-pulseaudio                9            1.mga9        noarch 
5.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
1.3MB of packages will be retrieved.
Proceed with the installation of the 6 packages? (Y/n)

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pulseaudio-module-x11-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pulseaudio-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm                                                           
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/task-pulseaudio-9-1.mga9.noarch.rpm                                                         
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm                                           
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pulseaudio-module-gsettings-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm                                         
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/paprefs-1.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm                                                               
installing pulseaudio-module-x11-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm pulseaudio-module-gsettings-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm task-pulseaudio-9-1.mga9.noarch.rpm pulseaudio-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64.rpm paprefs-1.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     ###############################################################################################
      1/6: pulseaudio            ###############################################################################################
      2/6: pulseaudio-module-x11 ###############################################################################################
      3/6: pulseaudio-module-gsettings
                                 ###############################################################################################
      4/6: paprefs               ###############################################################################################
      5/6: pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
                                 ###############################################################################################
      6/6: task-pulseaudio       ###############################################################################################
removing package task-pipewire-1:9-2.mga9.noarch
      1/2: removing task-pipewire-1:9-2.mga9.noarch
removing package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64
      2/2: removing pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64
Package pavucontrol already installed, so not reinstalling
Disabling pipewire.socket
Removed "/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire.socket".
Disabling wireplumber.service
Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service".
Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service".
Package plasma-desktop already installed, so not reinstalling
Package pavucontrol-qt already installed, so not reinstalling
Switching to PulseAudio completed.

After pa-switcher ran, the sound came back and is working.

I still don't know why pipewire would not work on this system. Is it worth tracing that down, or should I just mark this solved?

Anyway, the workaround for no sound is to make sure that the tainted repos are enabled, then install pa-switcher and run it to convert back to PulseAudio.

Is pa-switcher going to be available in the repos after release?
banjo

Postby morgano » Mar 18th, '23, 13:49

banjo wrote:Is pa-switcher going to be available in the repos after release?

"we are working on integrating the pa-switcher feature directly into draksound."
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31507#c16
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby banjo » Mar 18th, '23, 14:07

Thanks for the update.

I am going to mark this SOLVED since the original question of how to get the sound working has been answered.

However, I am considering doing a fresh installation of beta 1 to see if the pipewire sound still fails or if I did mess something up in this alpha installation.

If I do that, I will report the results back in this thread.
banjo

Re: [SOLVED]No sound in cauldron

Postby morgano » Mar 18th, '23, 16:38

Due to many updates since beta 1, netinstall may be a better option if it works with your connection.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby banjo » Mar 18th, '23, 17:58

I have never done a net install. I usually install from a live USB. I may give the net install a go and see what happens.

The network is on WiFi because the computer is remote from the switch. But it isn't a bad connection.
banjo

Postby xerxes2 » Mar 18th, '23, 23:35

No need to reinstall for that as beta1 is running Pulseaudio by default. Did you ever try Pipewire after you got your system in order?
Last edited by xerxes2 on Mar 19th, '23, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
xerxes2

Postby banjo » Mar 18th, '23, 23:58

When I switched over to PulseAudio, pipewire was still showing no devices. As installed (alpha), my system had pipewire as the default, and it never did work. After switching over to PulseAudio the sound works.

I could switch it back to pipewire and see if it would work then.
banjo

Postby xerxes2 » Mar 19th, '23, 00:08

Yeah that is what I meant. There seems to be something weird going on in Cauldron as Pulseaudio and Pipewire both runs. But as I said beta1 runs Pulseaudio by default.

It could be that there are older packages of Pipewire or dependencies that somehow enables it as default? And that it's fixed now going forward.
xerxes2

Postby banjo » Mar 19th, '23, 05:05

OK. I did not have time to even boot the computer today. Maybe tomorrow I will go boot it up and see what happens when I switch it. It is my experimental box, so no problem if it quits working from fooling around with it.
banjo

Postby banjo » Mar 19th, '23, 13:43

I used pa-switcher to switch back to pipewire with wireplumber, but now both sound systems are running simultaneously.

$ inxi -Axx
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:8ca0
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 High Definition Audio [GeForce 940MX]
    vendor: eVga.com. driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s
    lanes: 16 bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0fbc
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.2.6-desktop-1.mga9 running: yes
  Sound Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.66 running: yes

The sound system shows the correct devices, but the sound does not work. Also, the video buffers constantly in the browser and does not work. I vaguely remember a discussion of this on the developer thread about the video being affected by the interaction between the two sound systems. The details escape me.

So I tried again, this time setting it up to use Pipewire with Media Session. Here is the log from the switch.

Switching to Pipewire with Pipewire Media Session
Switching to pipewire_pipewire-media-session
Package task-pipewire not installed, installing
urpmi task-pipewire
The following packages have to be removed for others to be upgraded:
alsa-plugins-pulse-config-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.noarch
 (due to missing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio)
lib64alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.x86_64
 (due to missing alsa-plugins-pulse-config)
paprefs-1.2-1.mga9.x86_64
 (due to unsatisfied pulseaudio-module-gsettings >= 12.2-3.mga7)
pulseaudio-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pulseaudio-daemon)
pulseaudio-module-gsettings-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64)
pulseaudio-module-x11-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64)
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
 (due to missing libprotocol-native.so()(64bit),
  due to unsatisfied pulseaudio == 16.1-13.mga9)
task-pulseaudio-9-1.mga9.noarch
 (due to missing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio) (y/N) y
Marking task-pipewire as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
writing /var/lib/rpm/installed-through-deps.list
(medium "Core Release")
  pipewire-alsa                  0.3.66       1.mga9        x86_64  (recommended)
  pipewire-pulseaudio            0.3.66       1.mga9        x86_64 
  task-pipewire                  9            2.mga9        noarch 
5.8MB of disk space will be freed.
90KB of packages will be retrieved.
Proceed with the installation of the 3 packages? (Y/n) y

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pipewire-alsa-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm                                                       
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/task-pipewire-9-2.mga9.noarch.rpm                                                           
installing task-pipewire-9-2.mga9.noarch.rpm pipewire-alsa-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.66-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
      1/3: pipewire-pulseaudio   ###############################################################################################
      2/3: pipewire-alsa         ###############################################################################################
      3/3: task-pipewire         ###############################################################################################
removing package task-pulseaudio-1:9-1.mga9.noarch
      1/8: removing task-pulseaudio-1:9-1.mga9.noarch
removing package alsa-plugins-pulse-config-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.noarch
      2/8: removing alsa-plugins-pulse-config-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.noarch
removing package pulseaudio-module-x11-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
      3/8: removing pulseaudio-module-x11-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
removing package pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
      4/8: removing pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
removing package paprefs-1.2-1.mga9.x86_64
      5/8: removing paprefs-1.2-1.mga9.x86_64
removing package pulseaudio-module-gsettings-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
      6/8: removing pulseaudio-module-gsettings-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
removing package pulseaudio-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
      7/8: removing pulseaudio-16.1-13.mga9.x86_64
                                 ##########################################################################################warning: /etc/sysconfig/pulseaudio saved as /etc/sysconfig/pulseaudio.rpmsave
#####
removing package lib64alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.x86_64
      8/8: removing lib64alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.7.1-2.mga9.x86_64
Package pipewire-media-session not installed, installing
urpmi pipewire-media-session
The following package has to be removed for others to be upgraded:
wireplumber-0.4.14-1.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pipewire-session-manager) (y/N) y

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/pipewire-media-session-0.4.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
installing pipewire-media-session-0.4.2-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms                                             
      1/1: pipewire-media-session
Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service".
Removed "/home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service".
Removed "/home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service".
removing package wireplumber-0.4.14-1.mga9.x86_64
      1/1: removing wireplumber-0.4.14-1.mga9.x86_64
Enabling pipewire-pulse.socket
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.socket.
Enabling pipewire-pulse.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/default.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.service.
Enabling pipewire-media-session.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-media-session.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/pipewire-media-session.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-media-session.service.
Enabling pipewire.socket
Enabling pipewire.service
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.socket.
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants/pipewire-pulse.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-pulse.service.
Enabling pipewire-media-session.service
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-media-session.service.
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/pipewire-media-session.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire-media-session.service.
Switching to Pipewire with Pipewire Media Session completed.
[brian@BSKQuadCore ~]$

Now, the video and the audio are working running pipewire. Here is the inxi info.

$ inxi -Axx
Audio:
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no

I do not know what the difference is between wireplumber and Media Session, but pipewire appears to work using Media Session and not work using wireplumber. Or... something more complex is happening during the switchover.
banjo

Postby morgano » Mar 19th, '23, 14:23

Probably better to report at the bug https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31507
And also try the new MCC integration by draktools-curses-18.56-2.mga9 as mentioned there.
morgano

Postby Germ » Mar 19th, '23, 15:20

I've been following this and as I believe I posted, I had no joy with pipewire. I tried on a clean install and a upgrade from mga8 install of cauldron. I used the switcher script. pipewire found no sound devices.

So my question is: Why even bother with pipewire when pulse works just fine? Why try to fix something which is not broken?

Seems like resources could be better spent elsewhere....
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby sturmvogel » Mar 19th, '23, 15:42

Germ wrote:Why even bother with pipewire when pulse works just fine? Why try to fix something which is not broken?

Pulseaudio is an ancient piece of software. Pipewire is the succesor. Most distributions already switched to pipewire (Mageia is lacking behind the overall development). Pipewire has many advantages over the ancient Pulsaudio. You can google it yourself if you want. Only two links:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire
sturmvogel

Postby Germ » Mar 19th, '23, 16:04

pulse may be old, but it works. I checked your links and saw nothing to change my mind.

Something new and shiny to replace something considered "ancient" that works just fine? That's like lemmings over the cliff...

I'm not trying to start an argument. I just do not understand the "why" of it considering the problems with pipewire I've been having. Two different machines, two different install types, identical problem with pipewire. And its not just me.

As long as I can use pulse, I guess it doesn't matter.
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby banjo » Mar 19th, '23, 16:21

Just for grins I switched the system back to pipewire and wireplumber again. Here's the log.

Switching to Pipewire with Wireplumber
Switching to pipewire_wireplumber
AUTO_INSTALL(switcher-system)=
Package task-pipewire already installed, so not reinstalling
Package wireplumber not installed, installing
urpmi wireplumber
The following package has to be removed for others to be upgraded:
pipewire-media-session-0.4.2-1.mga9.x86_64
 (due to conflicts with pipewire-session-manager) (y/N) y
Marking wireplumber as manually installed, it won't be auto-orphaned
writing /var/lib/rpm/installed-through-deps.list

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/wireplumber-0.4.14-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm
installing wireplumber-0.4.14-1.mga9.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms                                                       
      1/1: wireplumber           ###############################################################################################
Removed "/etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/pipewire-media-session.service".
Removed "/home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/pipewire-media-session.service".
Removed "/home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service".
removing package pipewire-media-session-0.4.2-1.mga9.x86_64
      1/1: removing pipewire-media-session-0.4.2-1.mga9.x86_64
Enabling wireplumber.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service.
Package kpipewire already installed, so not reinstalling
Enabling pipewire.socket
Enabling pipewire.service
Enabling wireplumber.service
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire-session-manager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service.
Created symlink /home/brian/.config/systemd/user/pipewire.service.wants/wireplumber.service → /usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service.
Switching to Pipewire with Wireplumber completed.
[brian@BSKQuadCore ~]$

The latest inxi info:

[brian@BSKQuadCore ~]$ inxi -Axx
Audio:
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no

Both sound and video are working fine.

So now all three options work on this system. Strange. I wonder if there was an incomplete startup condition on my system after the installation that kept it from working, and the re-installation of the packages has fixed that. Just guessing.

Generally speaking, if I can get the system working with the new stuff, I will run with that.
banjo

Postby sturmvogel » Mar 19th, '23, 16:53

Germ wrote:pulse may be old, but it works. I checked your links and saw nothing to change my mind.

Something new and shiny to replace something considered "ancient" that works just fine? That's like lemmings over the cliff...

I'm not trying to start an argument. I just do not understand the "why" of it considering the problems with pipewire I've been having. Two different machines, two different install types, identical problem with pipewire. And its not just me.

I also don't want to argue. But maybe see it that way: Other distributions started Pipewire integration already years ago and finished it sucessfully. Due to the lack of active Mageia maintainers, now Pipewire looks for most of the last few Mageia users as some new black magic. Most problems are caused by the lack of active developers, testers and users of Mageia (the active people in bugzilla, wiki, forum, are less than 20 ppl).

I was a proud user of Mandrake, Mandriva and Mageia for decades. I liked it really much...until i got an up-to-date high-end-machine.The Mageia star is going down (in my opinion). Less and less activ developers, lagging behind actual developments, broken MCC-features for years,....
Mageia is now only a side hobby which is left as secondary OS on my machines (with hope that the star may rise again). As working OS im using openSUSE Tumbleweed. If you compare Mageia's MCC with openSUSE's Yast you will notice that the development of MCC stopped years ago and Yast is superior in all ways....(this counts also for other parts of the OS).

You only need to start a live ISO or try to install another actual Linux distribution and you will already notice how dated the Mageia installer is. And if you do some Mageia installations after each other (as example to create some VM's) you will notice so many cringeworthy quirks of the installer...as example the same dropdown menu for extended user rights shows everytime another sorting order...
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Mar 19th, '23, 17:22

I love the sig banjo use:

:)
morgano

Postby Germ » Mar 19th, '23, 20:13

@sturmvogel

Yea, I went Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia, as well. Yes, the installer is still kinda clunky but you have to admit it is a great OS once you get it setup as you want it. I used to actually work for Mandrake/Mandriva as a Forum Administrator. $500/month

I have to say MX Linux is about the slickest distro around now. I've been running it on another machine and really like it. Stable and all the tools you need for administration and configuration.

I've tried a ton of distros. I have a test machine for that. I think the calamares installer is really great.
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xerxes2 » Mar 22nd, '23, 20:45

banjo wrote:Both sound and video are working fine.

So now all three options work on this system. Strange. I wonder if there was an incomplete startup condition on my system after the installation that kept it from working, and the re-installation of the packages has fixed that. Just guessing.

Generally speaking, if I can get the system working with the new stuff, I will run with that.

Yeah same here for me. Also the original Pulseaudio project seems to be put on life support, with uncertain outcome i would say. And pipewire-media-session and Wireplumber are two different session managers for Pipewire. Wireplumber seems to be what most people recommend to use right now.
xerxes2

Postby xerxes2 » Mar 22nd, '23, 20:52

sturmvogel wrote:
Germ wrote:pulse may be old, but it works. I checked your links and saw nothing to change my mind.

I also don't want to argue. But maybe see it that way: Other distributions started Pipewire integration already years ago and finished it sucessfully. Due to the lack of active Mageia maintainers, now Pipewire looks for most of the last few Mageia users as some new black magic. Most problems are caused by the lack of active developers, testers and users of Mageia (the active people in bugzilla, wiki, forum, are less than 20 ppl).

I was a proud user of Mandrake, Mandriva and Mageia for decades. I liked it really much...until i got an up-to-date high-end-machine.The Mageia star is going down (in my opinion). Less and less activ developers, lagging behind actual developments, broken MCC-features for years,....
Mageia is now only a side hobby which is left as secondary OS on my machines (with hope that the star may rise again). As working OS im using openSUSE Tumbleweed. If you compare Mageia's MCC with openSUSE's Yast you will notice that the development of MCC stopped years ago and Yast is superior in all ways....(this counts also for other parts of the OS).

You only need to start a live ISO or try to install another actual Linux distribution and you will already notice how dated the Mageia installer is. And if you do some Mageia installations after each other (as example to create some VM's) you will notice so many cringeworthy quirks of the installer...as example the same dropdown menu for extended user rights shows everytime another sorting order...

I think you're a bit too harsh on Mageia now. Pipewire has existed in Cauldron for two years already so I've been running it for a long time. Yes it's not default but it hasn't been default on other distros either until recently. And for the leftovers from the nineties I would tend to agree with you. I don't use any of the Mageia configuration tools or urpmi. And the installer looks a bit dated sure but it works. Installing Gnome from beta1 I only do three things to the stock installation. Set hostname (can't find it in the installer), switch to network-manager and switch to Pipewire. And DNF is installed by default so you can consider it equally "default" as urpmi already.
xerxes2

Postby xerxes2 » Mar 22nd, '23, 21:01

Germ wrote:@sturmvogel

Yea, I went Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia, as well. Yes, the installer is still kinda clunky but you have to admit it is a great OS once you get it setup as you want it. I used to actually work for Mandrake/Mandriva as a Forum Administrator. $500/month

I have to say MX Linux is about the slickest distro around now. I've been running it on another machine and really like it. Stable and all the tools you need for administration and configuration.

I've tried a ton of distros. I have a test machine for that. I think the calamares installer is really great.

The fast updating of Cauldron is totally awesome. Yeah sure there could be bugs but it usually boots even though Gnome been borked a few times. I havn't used the stable branch that much but from what i hear it gets lots of updates too. Yeah sure the Mageia configuration tools propbably are a bit old now if they come from Mandrake. I only use Gnome's own configuration tools and Pavucontrol for sound. That is basically all Ineed I think. Never heard of MX Linux but i was running XFCE4 for years. But when Gnome got support for Wayland I switched to that. Couldn't resist trying out the new stuff and actually likes Gnome very much now.
xerxes2

Previous

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron