Anyone use 'libmobiledevice' with Mageia 4?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Anyone use 'libmobiledevice' with Mageia 4?

Postby jdkl81 » Mar 26th, '15, 09:47

I need to fetch texts and other information off of my iPhone in a linux platform. This program suggests that it runs well in several linux distros, but I'd assume it would need some modification for Mageia. I decided that a lot of my problem with my previous issues was downloading and trying to install software before really doing my homework on it, so I wanted to ask here before I did anything. They do have a tar.bz2 file available so I would assume somebody (not like me) who really knows Mageia very well would be able to tweak this file for this OS. Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm open for suggestions if anyone knows a program that works better with Mageia that would do the same thing. Here is the program in question: http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
jdkl81

Re: Anyone use 'libmobiledevice' with Mageia 4?

Postby martinw » Mar 26th, '15, 11:13

It's already packaged for Mageia and available in the core software repository. On my machine it is already installed (presumably pulled in by another package, as I have never used it). Note the name is libimobiledevice - may have just been a typo when you posted this, but the same typo would stop you finding it on your system.
martinw

Postby jdkl81 » Mar 26th, '15, 17:38

As you said it's in the repository. I do not know how I missed this....actually I think I had to a) make the spelling correction and b) change the search from GUI only to ALL. The control center says it's installed. Since it's not GUI does that mean I need to launch it from the Konsole? Thanks for your help.
jdkl81

Postby martinw » Mar 26th, '15, 20:42

Not used it myself, but a quick search of the forum (watching out for typos ;-) ) gives a number of results. This looks like a good one to start with:
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7623
martinw

Postby jdkl81 » Mar 27th, '15, 05:16

Thanks so much for your help. I will read your thread and do some more searching with correct spelling and see if I understand.
jdkl81

Postby jdkl81 » Mar 27th, '15, 05:46

It sounds like I need to install some other programs to mount the iPhone. I can find my iPhone easily with the terminal and saving pics is no problem. What I'm trying to do is save my texts as well, and was told libimobiledevice is a good program with which to do this. Here is the output when I typed in the suggested commands to the Konsole:
Code: Select all
[jdkl81@localhost ~]$ mkdir ~/iphone
[jdkl81@localhost ~]$ ifuse ~/iphone
[jdkl81@localhost ~]$ ls -l ~/iphone
ls: cannot access /home/jdkl81/iphone: Transport endpoint is not connected
[jdkl81@localhost ~]$ ls -l ~/iphone
ls: cannot access /home/jdkl81/iphone: Transport endpoint is not connected

I didn't want to copy all the output from ideviceinfo here unless necessary. It seemed to show just about everything. The control center says libimobiledevice is installed. but I feel like I don't understand how it's supposed to work that well.
jdkl81

Postby jdkl81 » Apr 16th, '15, 04:35

Hey I want to revive this thread. I can see my iPhone as "camera" when I connect it through the usb port. As suggested here, "libimobiledevice" is in the official repository, but I still can't find the other programs on which it depends "ifuse" and "libusbmuxd" and "usbmuxd" in the repository, so I downloaded these "tar" files from mirrors online. I have had a very difficult time installing programs from source like this in the past, so I may need some help with that again. I downloaded the tar files and extracted them to the desktop. Most instructions tell you to extract to the home file, is the desktop ok? If someone could give me a hand with this I would really appreciate it. I'm a real newbie at Mageia so I'm probably a little over my head with this. Thanks in advance.
jdkl81

Postby tarakbumba » Apr 16th, '15, 08:27

ifuse and libusbmux2 are in the repositories. But depending on your systems architecture you may see lib64usbmux2. Please try to search again.
tarakbumba

Postby jdkl81 » Apr 16th, '15, 09:58

You right and I am wrong. My repositories show both are installed. I guess that explains why I can see the iPhone in Mageia when I plug it into the USB port. I can only see it as a "camera," what I want to do is to be able to back up the files, particularly my texts and contacts (pics and vids are already saved several places) because I have no more room for them on the phone, and I need to free up some space. Also, if I use the command "ideviceinfo" in the Konsole, I get all the output that was suggested that I should get here on the forums, all correct to the best of my knowledge. If it matters, the phone is not jailbroken, iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1 (I know very old). I suppose that I am going to need to work out how to run these programs(ifuse etc) and gather the info I want from the Konsole, since the reason I missed them at first is that they are not GUI and that is the default filter on the repositories search in my version of Mageia. Thanks again for the gentle correction and thanks in advance for any future help.
jdkl81

Return to Basic support