For the first time installing Mageia and loving it!

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

For the first time installing Mageia and loving it!

Postby georgi » Dec 22nd, '14, 08:54

Hello guys, Racer is here! :)

A little background about me: Former distro hopper and mostly Mint/Debian user. I had never tried RPM based distros before. My experience with Debian based distros is rich but still my skill level is novice so you can expect questions from me. ;)

Nowadays: Yesterday I had installed Mageia 3 on my 7 year old PC (I was afraid that this will crawl under Mageia...how wrong I was). Installing unsupported version wasn't funny experience - 455+ updates and then dependency hell. Nice end to my hard day! :lol: Anyway the update to Mageia 4 went very smooth for my surprise and now I'm a happy Mageia 4 user.

What I hate about the whole process: BLOAT, bloat, bloat! I installed only KDE 4 (choosing "Other" option) and still KDE was bloated with unwanted programs. For my surprise (again) casual programs like "KSnapshot" were missing but some others which I will never use were there... Also the install process feels like a beta test. Really where are the options to set a computer name, why I have so bad collection for user avatars, why some ordinary options are hidden (for example full list of countries)?

What I love about Mageia: Beauty and the freedom to choose. I was never a fan of KDE (and still KDE is bloated for me) but man, what things you can do with it... I'm just in love with my system! And I will never switch again to another distro mainly because Mageia is a rolling release and keeps improving. When Mageia 5 is out - I will install it on my laptop too and I'm sure - it will be even better. :)

PS: Please do not take my bad words too serious, I just point out where Mageia is failling in my eyes. In any case I don't want to blame someone - I want improved Mageia after all.

georgi

Re: For the first time installing Mageia and loving it!

Postby ind-pc_student » Apr 16th, '15, 16:54

that is cool like the screenshot you posted its stylish
ind-pc_student

Location: Milton Keynes - the only linux counter registered linux user in the area

Postby jiml8 » Apr 17th, '15, 02:03

Personally, I celebrate the bloat. I revel in it, I love it.

At least, this is true when I am doing an install on a modern machine with plenty of speed and space. When I install on a small and/or old box, I don't like the bloat either.

But, really, what is wrong with the bloat? Because of the bloat, installation goes smoothly on almost everything; the drivers are there and the installer finds them. The kernel may be big, but it supports everything. The desktop may be really fat and suck a lot of resources, but the resources are there to be used for something, and the fat desktop gives lots of cool features and a great appearance.

I run KDE with compiz on my Mageia 4 system that has a quad-core processor (Phenom-II 955 which is now 6 year old technology) and 32 GB of RAM. I have 1 TB in SSDs (two 500 GB Samsung EVO 940s), a 3 TB SATA, and a 4 TB SATA. I also have a 9TB iSCSI share connected to my NAS. As I write this post, I have no fewer than 6 virtual machines running on this system (Windows 2000 Pro, OpenSUSE 13.2, a Mageia 4 VM, FreeBSD 6.4, FreeBSD 8.1, and FreeBSD 10.0 with KDE). I have three NICs connected - one upstream to the WAN and two LANs on which I do development, and there is continuous traffic on all three NICs. This workstation is running apache, dhcpd, ntpd, postfix, and a number of other servers.

I also have about 20 Firefox windows open and at least half a dozen Chrome windows. I have about a dozen console windows open (Konsole). I have a couple of Konqueror windows. I have Kmail running, and Amarok is playing music. I'm currently syncing my Android to this workstation; it is plugged in via USB. I have a TOR relay running.

And with all of that, I still have about 12 GB of RAM free, and my processor utilization is hovering around 45% at reduced clock speed; most of the time most of the cores are running at reduced speed - the load is not such that the cores need to run at full speed.

Celebrate the bloat. If you have the horsepower - and the vast majority of modern machines DO have the horsepower - the bloat makes life a LOT easier and makes computers much more friendly.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 17th, '15, 19:29

jiml8 wrote:When I install on a small and/or old box, I don't like the bloat either.

Well, you can select a minimal install and disable suggested packages in installer.
After installation, use
Code: Select all
urpmi --no-suggests task-kde4-minimal
(that is, if you really want to install KDE on a small/old box) and install only the packages that you absolutely need.

There will not be any bloat there.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia