Booting on a MacBookPro

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Booting on a MacBookPro

Postby dtoebe » Apr 22nd, '14, 20:22

Hi,

I've just installed Mageia 4 KDE from an Install DVD onto a MacBookPro (8,2), with reFind for EFI bootloading on the OSX /boot/EFI. The Issue I am having is in reFind's menu it shows a generic linux install, but when I click on that menu option I get the no bootable device found. I assume that during the install I should have set up OSX's /boot/EFI to mount as Mageia's /boot/EFI (which I dindn't) (DOH!). I can boot into Magiea fine if I load the install DVD then boot from hard disk.

So my question is should I have set up /boot/EFI mount point during the install? If so how do I fix it post install?
dtoebe

Re: Booting on a MacBookPro

Postby martinw » Apr 22nd, '14, 21:08

No, you shouldn't need to set up a /boot/EFI mount point, but it is useful if you subsequently want to change or update the rEFind files when running Mageia. You can add a mount point by starting the Mageia Control Centre, going to the "Local disks" tab, clicking on "Manage disk partitions", clicking on the EFI partition, clicking on the "Mount point" button, and typing "/boot/EFI" in the text box.

Did you install rEFInd when running Mageia (using the RPM package)? If not, you need to perform some additional configuration steps. Probably the easiest way to do this is to download and unzip the rEFInd binary zip file and run the install.sh script.
martinw

Postby dtoebe » Apr 22nd, '14, 21:33

No I installed it on OSX. I should have mentioned I was dual booting. I will try the installer on the Mageia side. I've never had to with any other distro. But Magiea is one of the few that I had to burn to a disk instead of just using a USB. Thank you I will post my findings later on.

If some how I do wreck my install how can I export a list of installed packages, and is there an easy way to reinstall those packages?
dtoebe

Postby martinw » Apr 23rd, '14, 09:37

Listing the installed packages can be done by
Code: Select all
rpm -qa

I don't know of a simple way to install packages from a list. If I had to do it, I would write a script to loop through the list and call urpmi to install each package in turn.
martinw

Postby martinw » Apr 23rd, '14, 10:14

In case the rEFInd install.sh script doesn't fix the problem for you, here is the procedure I follow when I install a new Mageia release:

1) Install Mageia.
1a) During the partitioning step, set the EFI partition to be mounted as /boot/efi
1b) During boot loader configuration, select "grub" and boot from MBR (we'll need the /boot/grub/menu.lst file later)

2) Boot Mageia (I do this by temporarily changing the BIOS to non-UEFI boot, which then boots via "grub"). Then execute the following commands as root:
Code: Select all
RELEASE=4
export BOOT=/boot
ln -s initrd.img $BOOT/initrd-Mageia-$RELEASE.img
ln -s vmlinuz $BOOT/vmlinuz-Mageia-$RELEASE.efi 
./configure_refind > $BOOT/refind_linux.conf
cp mageia_logo.png $BOOT/vmlinuz-Mageia-$RELEASE.png

I comment out the "scan_all_linux_kernels" directive in the master refind.conf file, to just get a single Mageia-4 icon on the rEFInd boot screen. This will boot the most recent Linux kernel you have installed for Mageia.

The attached file contains the configure_refind script and the mageia_logo.png file.
Attachments
configure_refind.tgz
(10 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
martinw

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 23rd, '14, 21:37

dtoebe wrote:If some how I do wreck my install how can I export a list of installed packages, and is there an easy way to reinstall those packages?

Please check our software management MAQeia and also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6901
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby linuxero » May 4th, '14, 02:48

doktor5000 wrote:
dtoebe wrote:If some how I do wreck my install how can I export a list of installed packages, and is there an easy way to reinstall those packages?

Please check our software management MAQeia and also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6901

Maybe you want to add automated, aka unattended, installation to what doktor5000 suggested..!
linuxero

Postby mageiauser78240 » Aug 1st, '14, 07:03

dtoebe wrote:Hi,

I've just installed Mageia 4 KDE from an Install DVD onto a MacBookPro (8,2), with reFind for EFI bootloading on the OSX /boot/EFI. The Issue I am having is in reFind's menu it shows a generic linux install, but when I click on that menu option I get the no bootable device found. I assume that during the install I should have set up OSX's /boot/EFI to mount as Mageia's /boot/EFI (which I dindn't) (DOH!). I can boot into Magiea fine if I load the install DVD then boot from hard disk.

So my question is should I have set up /boot/EFI mount point during the install? If so how do I fix it post install?

The problem is that a gpt partition table entry has not been made yet... MBR will have it as a result of the install but the GPT hasn't been sync'd with tthe MBR entries.
You can fix it by booting into Mac OSX and installing rEFIt and rebooting. Then when you get to the rEFIt menu, seclect the partition icon from the lower row of icons.
It will compare your GPT partition table against your MRB table and then prompt you to update. Select Yes. When you update, it will put an entry into the GPT for your new install. At that point you can remove rEFIt by deleting the rEFIT directories from the EFI directory that it created during its install. Then install rEFInd. When you reboot, you will now see the rEFInd screen, from which you can click on the Penguin! Problem solved. :)
mageiauser78240

Return to Advanced support