Cauldron distro release announced on Mageia 5 station

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Cauldron distro release announced on Mageia 5 station

Postby Fred01 » Oct 2nd, '15, 14:32

Have a laptop with the lastly distributed Mageia 5 release (- KSD)

Normally I do receive all updates on this distro version through the update applet - and also got several updates that way yesterday evening.
After finishing updating - no other updates were found and closed the updating tool.

However after about 5 minutes a new applet popped up on the task-bar indicating there's a new distribution release .....
This seems however to be CAULDRON - what I do not use as I'm on Mageia version 5.

My other pc's did after the same regular updates as mentioned above -- not get/show this specific applet informing about a distribution release....

What can I do/should I do -- as I normally want to continue with Mageia version 5 -- and not have CAULDRON (installed)...

Can I just deny this this updater applet some how without influencing the default updater applet for updates concerning Mageia version 5... ?

Please advise - appreciated...

Kind RGDS
Fred
Fred01

Re: Cauldron distro release announced on Mageia 5 station

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 2nd, '15, 17:10

Fred01 wrote:What can I do/should I do -- as I normally want to continue with Mageia version 5 -- and not have CAULDRON (installed)...

Please ignore it for the time being and open a bugreport for this issue, and post the contents of your /etc/product.id and /etc/mageia-release in the bugreport.
Howto for a bugreport is in the wiki: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
For completeness's sake and also to allow others to follow up on that bug report, please also post the link to it here in the thread, thanks.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fred01 » Oct 3rd, '15, 19:46

Hi doktor

Just after starting the pc., the updater applet came up again - when clicking it it mentions there's a new version of Mageia distribution released and if I want to updateto Mageia version 5..... But I do have already Mageia 5 since the release in June...

Sure I can ignore it, but does this not influence or stop me from receiving the normal updates to Mageia 5 now ..?

Find below the output of /etc/product.id and /etc/mageia-release;

Code: Select all
fred@lap1 ~]$ ls -l /etc/product.id
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jun 22 21:46 /etc/product.id -> product.id.Default
[fred@lap1 ~]$

[fred@lap1 ~]$ ls l /etc/mageia-release
ls: cannot access l: No such file or directory
/etc/mageia-release
[fred@lap1 ~]$

BUG REPORT:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16887

===================================

My question remains --- when I ignore the applet --- does it not disturb my normal updates to Mageia version 5 -- AND -- is there anyway
to get this applet stop providing the alert for a new distribution version 5 which I already have .. ?

When clicking the applet it exactly looks the same now as the one back in June and when clicking for more information
it leads me to the url: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_5_Release_Notes
Fred01

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 3rd, '15, 20:07

doktor5000 wrote:and post the contents of your /etc/product.id and /etc/mageia-release in the bugreport.

We'd need the contents, so please show the output of
cat /etc/product.id
cat /etc/mageia-release
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fred01 » Oct 3rd, '15, 20:20

Here we go:

[fred@lap1 ~]$ cat /etc/product.id
vendor=Mageia.Org,distribution=Mageia,type=Basic,version=5,branch=Official,release=5,arch=i586,product=Default
[fred@lap1 ~]$

[fred@lap1 ~]$ cat /etc/mageia-release
Mageia release 5 (Official) for i586
[fred@lap1 ~]$
Fred01

Postby Fred01 » Oct 4th, '15, 10:49

Hi Doctor
Provided requested output ...
Applet keeps popping up....
- when I ignore the applet --- does it not disturb my normal updates to Mageia version 5 -- AND -- is there anyway
to get this applet stop providing the alert for a new distribution version 5 which I already have .. witout disturbing
the nomal updates to this Mageia version....
Fred01

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '15, 15:26

You can run mgaapplet-config and disable the display for new distribution versions. Those checks are not related to the normal checks for updates.
But you can also ignore it, does not make a difference.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support