Problem when upgrading (Solved)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Problem when upgrading (Solved)

Postby GersonLearchman » Jun 13th, '21, 16:26

Yesterday I did a clean install of Mageia 8, installed the programs I always use from the CCM, work them without problem and shut down the machine.
Today when I log in I get the message that there are pending updates. I click install and I get the following notification:

Code: Select all
2 installation transactions failed.
There was a problem during the installation:

el archivo /usr/lib64/LLVMgold.so de la instalación de llvm-plugins-11.0.1-4.2.1.mga8.x86_64 entra en conflicto con el archivo del paquete lib64llvm11.0-11.0.1-4.2.mga8.x86_64

llvm-plugins >= 11.0.1-4.2.1.mga8 es necesario por lib64llvm11.0-11.0.1-4.2.1.mga8.x86_64

I tried as root with:
# urpmi --clean
And then with:
# urpmi --auto-update
It performs all the installation, I reboot and I get the updates again and when asked to install, I get again the error that I comment above.
How to solve it?
Last edited by GersonLearchman on Jun 14th, '21, 02:44, edited 2 times in total.
Quien no teme preguntar, no teme aprender. :idea:
GersonLearchman

Re: Problem when upgrading

Postby benmc » Jun 13th, '21, 21:48

please post the output of
Code: Select all
urpmi --auto-update

thanks
benmc

Postby GersonLearchman » Jun 13th, '21, 22:03

After using the command
# urpmi --auto-update
as many times as it asked me to and several restarts, it has not presented that notification again.
I will wait some more time to consider the issue solved. Thank you.
GersonLearchman

Postby GersonLearchman » Jun 14th, '21, 02:43

To make sure everything is running smoothly use:
# dnf update
And no more problems, everything is solved, thanks for the help.
GersonLearchman

Re: Problem when upgrading (Solved)

Postby morgano » Jun 14th, '21, 12:45

Do you use both DNF and URPMI?
It is not recommended.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Using_DNF
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby GersonLearchman » Jun 14th, '21, 19:13

Now I'm confused, how do I know what to use then? I just did a clean install reading several things written in this forum and in some it talks about rpmi and in others about dnf. How do I know which one I have; which one should I keep and how do I remove the other one?
GersonLearchman

Postby sturmvogel » Jun 14th, '21, 19:33

At a fresh installation urpmi is standard. You have to install dnf from the controlcenter if you want to use it. And there is no recommendation which tool you have to use. It's your personal choice. I for myself tried dnf and i have to say, i don't like it. I'm used to the urpmi-way for several years...

The only thing what is relevant was already written by morgano: only use one tool or you could create unwanted sideffects.
sturmvogel

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '21, 23:04

morgano wrote:It is not recommended.

No recommended by whom? You can use both urpmi and dnf on the same system without issues, if you don't use them at the same time, even then the urpmi lock would catch that case ...

So why scare users unnecessarily ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Jun 15th, '21, 00:04

Well yes both can be used but then tracking orphans will not work as they handle that separately each.
For people like me who likes to clean orphans, especially before and after a system upgrade, that is a problem.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 15th, '21, 17:37

AFAIK dnf doesn't handle orphans at all. But that's not something that should lead to recommending others not to use it ...
For regular users orphans are pretty much irrelevant, and they should not need to care about that, simply put.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Jun 16th, '21, 23:39

I have not tried it myself, but searching internet give i.e
https://www.cyberithub.com/dnf-command- ... NF_Command
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 17th, '21, 16:06

Well, as I mentioned - dnf doesn't handle orphans as we usually refer to them.
dnf can simply list/remove all packages which are not required by any other packages. But that is totally separate from urpmi and does not interfere, so no reason to not use both.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support