mageia 5.1 last repo

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

mageia 5.1 last repo

Postby nexus » May 29th, '21, 20:40

Hello,

I see that mageia 5.1 last repo are disappeared from servers. I searched a few ftp servers but with no luck. Someone know is this possible to get from somewhere a archives of this repo. I really need this.

Regards
nexus

Re: mageia 5.1 last repo

Postby doktor5000 » May 30th, '21, 00:49

Mageia 5 is end of life since over 3 years now, you should probably think about upgrading to a current version.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » May 30th, '21, 01:27

Welcome to our forum :)

http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/p ... e/distrib/

Sometimes we do have to run old versions of something for compatibility of old machines/hardware/programs/files...
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby nexus » May 30th, '21, 20:05

doktor5000 wrote:Mageia 5 is end of life since over 3 years now, you should probably think about upgrading to a current version.
Yes, i know and i have tested every distro after but unfortunately they lack the functionality of version 5.1. For the most part, its not even the fault of the magea developers, but the plasma.
Nevertheless, thank you to all the people who work on it and i hope that despite its low popularity, they will not give up.

morgano wrote:Welcome to our forum :)
Sometimes we do have to run old versions of something for compatibility of old machines/hardware/programs/files...
Thank you very much it work, but i wonder how i can download html repo to my own disk, with ftp it would not be a problem.
nexus

Postby filip » May 30th, '21, 22:21

nexus wrote:Nevertheless, thank you to all the people who work on it and i hope that despite its low popularity, they will not give up.
morgano wrote:Welcome to our forum :)
Thank you very much it work, but i wonder how i can download html repo to my own disk, with ftp it would not be a problem.

Many of us don't care about popularity. Stability, usability, good documentation and user friendliness in general are my important criteria for good distro. Mageia covers that well for me. I'm also trying to contribute in my capacity.

For copying anything from web wget or curl are you friends. Mirrors are here. Note that the obsolete ones might not be on the list anymore.

I do hope that you can handle the fire of long obsoleted software. Good luck

And welcome from me too.
filip

Postby morgano » May 31st, '21, 09:12

nexus wrote:... i have tested every distro after but unfortunately they lack the functionality of version 5.1. For the most part, its not even the fault of the magea developers, but the plasma.

Curiously, what is the functionality you hunt for?
Maybe it is available in another desktop environment than Plasma?
Or with some trick.

You can run Mageia 8, then install i.e VirtualBox (see Virtualisation) and in a such virtual machine install Mageia 5.1
So you mostly use Mageia 8, and at the same time can use whatever you need of Mageia 5 - concurrently.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby jiml8 » May 31st, '21, 19:46

I have Mageia-5.1-x86_64-DVD.iso in my archives. If you can come up with a way for me to get it to you, I can provide a copy.

I made a major update to my NAS about 6 weeks ago that went very badly wrong, and when I finally rolled back, my cloud server remained down. I know why, and when I get around to it, I will fix it. But for now, I can't provide a link.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » May 31st, '21, 21:11

The older ISOs area also available in the same folder on some mirrors, for which morgano posted the link above - in this case http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/p ... chive/iso/
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby nexus » May 31st, '21, 22:28

This repo is really big, it is a pity that at the end not was released mageia 5.2;)

morgano wrote:Curiously, what is the functionality you hunt for?
For example, was lost after Mageia 5.1:
- possibility to define own format of time and date (short, long etc.),
- in "digital clock" widget, calendar->holidays are not visible holidays fom all days in month, only from a day what i choose (it does not make sense),
- in "foder view" widget not work "sorting"->"manual",
- in "system settings"->"application style" "plastik" disappeared, best for small resoltion screen (is condensed),
- python bindings for kde/plasma
- "kss_clock" the best screensaver, simply, pretty... ehh.

morgano wrote:You can run Mageia 8, then install i.e VirtualBox
Before i migrate to new version i always test it and preconfigure on virtualbox. This is amazing tool.

jiml8 wrote:I have Mageia-5.1-x86_64-DVD.iso in my archives...
There is no problem with the Mageia-5.1-x86_64-DVD.iso, i have one, the problem is with all updates after. Fortunately, the morgano has found a place where they still are. But thank you.
nexus

Postby sturmvogel » Jun 1st, '21, 07:52

nexus wrote:For example, was lost after Mageia 5.1:
- in "digital clock" widget, calendar->holidays are not visible holidays fom all days in month, only from a day what i choose (it does not make sense),
- in "foder view" widget not work "sorting"->"manual",
- in "system settings"->"application style" "plastik" disappeared, best for small resoltion screen (is condensed),
- python bindings for kde/plasma
- "kss_clock" the best screensaver, simply, pretty... ehh.

Missing gimmicks like screensavers are NEVER a excuse for using i big pile of unmaintained software with infinite known and unknown vulnerabilitys. You are risking your personal data, and you are a risk for other internet users with such bad behaviour. Your system could be already used as spambot or way more worse stuff without your knowledge. As example if you are still using the browser from Mageia 5.1 than you are already lost...

And some of your mentioned missing stuff is still/already in Mageia 8, like:
- "application style" "plastik"

You should think about that and have a fresh look at Mageia 8!
sturmvogel

Postby nexus » Jun 1st, '21, 10:18

sturmvogel wrote:Missing gimmicks like screensavers are NEVER a excuse for using i big pile of unmaintained software with infinite known and unknown vulnerabilitys.
This screensaver is from official repo and for over 10 years of use i have not heard of any vulnerabilities in this screensaver. If you something know just tell.

sturmvogel wrote:... such bad behaviour.
Means... not accepting changing something good for the worse? It seemed to me that the essence of progress is changing good things into even better ones, not the reverse.

sturmvogel wrote:As example if you are still using the browser from Mageia 5.1 than you are already lost.
The last esr firefox work very well on mageia 5.1.

sturmvogel wrote:And some of your mentioned missing stuff is still/already in Mageia 8, like:
Where? One place what i know is in "system settings"->"regional settings"->"formats".

sturmvogel wrote:And some of your mentioned missing stuff is still/already in Mageia 8, like:
- "application style" "plastik"
Where? I think you are mistaking "Window Decorations" with "Application Style".
nexus

Postby sturmvogel » Jun 1st, '21, 16:04

nexus wrote:This screensaver is from official repo and for over 10 years of use i have not heard of any vulnerabilities in this screensaver. If you something know just tell.

Your Mageia 5.1 consists of several thousends no longer maintained, vulnerable, sometimes EOL, software packages. They didn't get any security update for more than 3 years. You are using vulnerable Kernel, internet packages and so on....you have no mitigation against actual processor vulnerabilities.... Outdated firmwares and drivers...
So it seems that you don't care about your and others security because of a missing screensaver (which is no longer needed with new monitors) or theme.
This is what i call irresponsible. Security should have always a higher priority over design and gimmicks...

nexus wrote:Where? One place what i know is in "system settings"->"regional settings"->"formats".

Right click on your clock->set digital clock-> apperance-> Timeformat-> user defined
sturmvogel

Postby nexus » Jun 2nd, '21, 09:15

sturmvogel wrote:....you have no mitigation against actual processor vulnerabilities....
I tested it (with and without nopti option in kernel) and vulnerability mitigations for Meltdown is present and it doesnt significant slow down processor in my applications.

sturmvogel wrote:... screensaver (which is no longer needed with new monitors)...
This is not true especially if is used oled screen.

sturmvogel wrote:Security should have always a higher priority over design and gimmicks...
Maybe, but is hard do something without hand.

sturmvogel wrote:Right click on your clock->set digital clock-> apperance-> Timeformat-> user defined
Ehh... it works only for clock widget not in other places especially in dolphin.

Linux is not a windows or macos where users must do what other people want. The power of linux is to give the user the possibility to adapt it to your needs.
Probably i will die with mageia 5.1;) But thank you all for help.

BTW... someone know would it be possible to compile the kernel from mageia 8 in magea 5.1?
nexus

Postby AstorBG » Jun 2nd, '21, 11:47

BTW... someone know would it be possible to compile the kernel from mageia 8 in magea 5.1?

Maybe it will be impossible to compile the latest kernel-5.10.xx from M8. It will require newer libraries/packages and perhaps new compiler options that the M5 compiler does not have. The last kernel of M5 is 4.4.114 I think. You will have better chances compiling the latest stable upstream kernel from kernel.org which is 4.4.270 by using your M5 kernel config file + few manual touches.

A.
Mageia 5.1, KDE4, x86_64
Mageia 8, Plasma, x86_64
AstorBG

Postby nexus » Jun 2nd, '21, 14:35

AstorBG wrote:You will have better chances compiling the latest stable upstream kernel from kernel.org which is 4.4.270...
I am asking because I am thinking of a device for which support was added in kernel 5.4. But this is not much important for now. But thank you.
nexus

Postby nexus » Jun 5th, '21, 02:31

I see that the repo of mageia 5 is not fully compatible with mageia 5.1 (for example version of kernel) so maybe someone else knows where the last mageia 5.1 repository is?
nexus

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '21, 15:22

There are no different repos for 5 and 5.1, there is only one repo for Mageia 5.
5.1 only refers to install media generated at a later date including any updates up to that point in time.

Why do you think in anything is not fully compatible, any particular example ?
----
doktor5000

Postby nexus » Jun 6th, '21, 00:54

doktor5000 wrote:Why do you think in anything is not fully compatible, any particular example ?
I have looked at this repository http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/p ... e/distrib/ and i see that the last kernel is 4.4.92 and mine is 4.4.114 but... after your post i checked it again and i see that there is a 4.4.114 kernel, I was confused by the sorting. Sorry for my mistake and thank you.
Ehh ... so many gigabytes to download.
nexus

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 6th, '21, 14:32

nexus wrote:Ehh ... so many gigabytes to download.

You don't have to download the whole FTP folder just to do an update, you can simply add this as repository.
----
doktor5000

Postby nexus » Jun 6th, '21, 16:26

Yes i know, but if i do not download this repository and it disappears like from official mirror then i stay with nothing.
Maybe it would be good practice to release the latest version with all updates before removing version from the servers.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 6th, '21, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
nexus

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 6th, '21, 20:08

nexus wrote:Maybe it would be good practice to release the latest version with all updates before removing version from the servers.

Well that's why there was a Mageia 5.1 - but you have to keep in mind that we have limited ressources, it's not really feasible
and in my opinion also it doesn't make much sense to offer updated install media for an obsolete release of the distribution several years later.
----
doktor5000

Postby nexus » Jun 7th, '21, 03:32

doktor5000 wrote:... we have limited ressources,
The size of mageia 5 repo (only x64) is about 140GB the siaze of mageia 5.1 iso is about 4GB assuming one version per year we have 140/4=35 years. For me, it makes dubious sense to keep repositories 6 and 6.1 on the server instead of just 6.1 (similarly 7 and 7.1, etc.), they overlap i think (although there may be some reasons for this) and instead use this space for the latest releases of the disappearing versions. Probably the people who prepare iso versions dont do this file by file but have a script so it shouldnt be difficult to prepare a new iso version i think.

doktor5000 wrote:... it doesn't make much sense to offer updated install media for an obsolete release...
But the big question is why to do an iso for the old version... for future generations, to preserve hard work of many people, perhaps future computer archaeologists and... for me;), perhaps the last man on the earth who use version 5.
nexus

Postby morgano » Jun 7th, '21, 13:06

I have read files are stored linked, to .1 versions, but am not sure.
Releasing a new ISO: Most work is validating it. An updated ISO take less work than a new release, but as we are already on our knees keeping the current going...
Could be a hobby project for some. Documentation is open, you may join and do just that if you like. Or help out other stuff.
Thinking about archeology, it would no tmatter mych about an updated 5.1 or a new 6 twenty years from now... And storing large files is gettign cheaper and easier by time, so why not store it all instead of cripple it?
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 7th, '21, 16:54

morgano wrote:I have read files are stored linked, to .1 versions, but am not sure.

There are no separate repos for e.g. 6 and 6.1
----
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Jun 7th, '21, 22:13

morgano

Next

Return to Basic support