Mounting a Synology NAS [Closed}

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mounting a Synology NAS [Closed}

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 2nd, '21, 22:29

I recently bought a Synology NAS, to complement, or replace a number of similar Drobo units. The two makes, are in many ways the same, but the Synology unit may be more versatile, but settinhg it up is far more complicated. I did, however manage to set the unit upIt works on my Android phone, an Android tablet, and a Windows7 laptop. using the 'phone, I was aable to copy a sample video file to the new Synology unit, which was visible and playable on all three devices.
Setting up SMB shares on Mageia has always been a bit fraught. The function in the Mageia Control Centre (MCC), does not work, and has not worked through the history of Mageia, and through Mandriva and Mandrake, too, but is amenable to being manually setup, which I've done many times. This time, however, I seem to have run into a snag, as follows
There needs to be an entry in the /etc/hosts file, which I have done. It works. I can ping the Synology unit either by it's IP address,192.168.1.164, or it's name synserver.
The /etc/fstab file needs to be amended to include the mounting commandline, as follows (I've included the lines for the other Drob units for comparison
Code: Select all
//drobo-a/Public /mnt/Public cifs uid=rod,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo-a.droboman,gid=rod,uid=rod 0 0
//drobo-b/Public /mnt/Public2 cifs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo-b.droboman,gid=rod,uid=rod 0 0
//drobo5n2/Public /mnt/Public3 cifs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.drobo5n2.droboman,gid=rod,uid=rod 0 0
//synserver/Public /mnt/Public4 cifs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.synserver.rodmin,gid=rod,uid=rod 0 0

The credentials file , in /etc/sambe needa an appropriate entry, which is simply a file with username and password. This was done by copying one of the existing files and amending it to suit. Finally, a mount point needs to be created in /mnt, to complement the other entries, as
drwxr-xr-x 2 rod  rod     0 Jun  1 18:44 Public/
drwxr-xr-x 2 rod  rod     0 Jun  1 18:44 Public2/
drwxr-xr-x 2 rod  rod     0 Jun  1 18:44 Public3/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 23 14:15 Public4/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 27  2016 Transporter/

This was an existing entry, for a unit no longer fitted, and simply re-named to the new unit
This should complet the entry to mount the unit. However, on the command mount -av , the mount failed with the following dialogue

[root@down etc]# mount -av
/                        : ignored
/home                    : already mounted
/home2                   : already mounted
/mnt/Public              : already mounted
/mnt/Public2             : already mounted
/mnt/Public3             : already mounted
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.164,unc=\\synserver\Public,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=rodmin,pass=********
mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
mount: none is already mounted or /proc busy
swap                     : ignored

This has me puzzled. I've had errors before due to an odd typo, but "Operation not supported" is a new one to me. Any ideas, anyone? The Mageia install is somewhat of a necessity, in order to populate the new server with files.
Last edited by rodgoslin on Jun 4th, '21, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: Mounting a Synology NAS

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 2nd, '21, 23:54

You don't mention the make/model of the Synology unit, and which version of Synology DiskStation Manager it's running.

Are you sure that the share is actually called "Public" ? What is the output of
smbclient -L synserver

Apart from that, the actually error code is usually visible in journal log, if you check for CIFS VFS messages. Have a look at https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ted/399196
as you probably need to adjust the cifs protocol version

Also mount -av is irrelevant, it would be enough if you only run
mount -v /mnt/Public4
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 3rd, '21, 00:27

The Synology unit name is DS1520+
DSM version 6.2.4
The share name is definitely Public (Upper case P). Confirmed on connected laptop running Win 7
The response from your command, is

[rod@down ~]$ smbclient -L synserver
Enter rod's password:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE
[rod@down ~]$
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 3rd, '21, 00:45

The protocol negotation failed basically confirms what I already wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:Have a look at https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ted/399196
as you probably need to adjust the cifs protocol version
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 3rd, '21, 02:54

Is there a solution in there somehere? I'm at a bit of a loss, as to the reason for the fail. It has not affected the other mounts in fstab, and the Drobo and the Synology units are not unlike one another, in function.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 3rd, '21, 17:00

Uhmmm, yes? It shows you how to find out which Samba version your synology uses, and the mount option you need for that ...

Currently your Mageia box and the Synology samba server cannot negotiate the correct Samba protocol version, and hence the mount failure.
----
doktor5000

Re: Mounting a Synology NAS [Closed}

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 4th, '21, 01:30

I've Mga7 on a laptop. It doesn't get used much, It's mainly to try out new things. I configurred it to mount all the Drobo units and the Synology unit, and it worked fine. So, Mga and Synology are definirely compatible. I looked at the link as you suggested. The only thing I could identify was the addition of 'vers=3.0' to the mount command line in fstab. It worked, and I now have all access to the new unit.
Thanks, Doktor5000. I've no real idea of how, or why it worked, but that's good enough for the moment. I feel rather relieved that I've not wasted a fairly large amount of cash on something I can't use
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 4th, '21, 20:25

Because the default SMB version changes over time, quite some time ago v1 was disabled, and for some CIFS servers you need to specify a different version for proper protocol negotiation to work.
----
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jun 4th, '21, 20:40

Ah, thanks.
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support