SOLVED: Tainted applications

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

SOLVED: Tainted applications

Postby pccobbler » Apr 6th, '21, 02:03

As the attached image from WelcometoMageia/Applications shows, some of my applications are tainted, whatever that means. Two of them are codecs, but I did not install any, though they could have been included with VLC or Audacious. Handbrake is also tainted, though I did not install that. Also, there are double entries for all tainted applications except for Handbrake. Would someone care to explain how that happened and if it can be fixed?
Attachments
Screenshot at 2021-04-05 17-52-40.png
Screenshot at 2021-04-05 17-52-40.png (241.13 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Last edited by pccobbler on Apr 6th, '21, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
pccobbler

Re: Tainted applications

Postby jiml8 » Apr 6th, '21, 02:43

"Tainted" means that you are running versions of the package or code that is not fully open-source, but contains some copyrighted code or functionality.

Unless you are a hard core open source software purist, you should ignore that your packages are tainted; typically this means you have functionality that you would not have in the untainted package. If you have a substantial philosophical objection to using copyrighted code, or perhaps some business-related objection to the licensing that accompanies that copyrighted code, then you can remove your tainted packages and replace them with untainted versions.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 6th, '21, 17:35

The packages themselves aren't tainted, they come from the so-called tainted repositories, if that makes more sense. Have a look at e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mirrors_policy#tainted

This is nothing that needs to be "fixed". Also double entries for a package means that there is a regular version, and one from the tainted repositories. The latter usually includes more funtionality e.g. some patented video/audio codecs.

Apart from that, handbrake is definitely not installed by default, you have installed that at some point in time.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pccobbler » Apr 6th, '21, 18:52

Thanks for the replies. I was wrong about Handbrake, as it clearly has an "Install" option , so it's not installed yet.

As for "tainted," I was confused by the word and by the fact that for some applications (e.g., VLC), there is both a non-tainted and tainted version, which I find strange.
pccobbler

Postby morgano » Apr 7th, '21, 10:03

pccobbler wrote:there is both a non-tainted and tainted version, which I find strange.

Not strange: Mageia give you the choice.
By default install the tainted repo is not enabled, so you get no patent encumbered packages.

You can change any time you wish.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Basic support