Mageia 8 grub2 can't select other partions on boot

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia 8 grub2 can't select other partions on boot

Postby kosmoskahnn » Mar 10th, '21, 04:06

I just installed Mageia 8 on my machine which only has 1 other partition an Ubuntu partition. I can boot into Mageia just fine but on the grub2 menu I can not select any other option, not my other Ubuntu partition or even the advanced options for Mageia. If I try to select any other option I will be prompted to enter a username and password. I enter my information for Mageia, which is the only thing I can think to do, however all that happens is the window blinks and resets me back to the grub menu, if I put in a wrong password same thing. If I try to enter C to go to the command line, same thing.

I am very new to Mageia I have used linux for a few years but this is my first Mandriva family linux, I like what I see on Mageia and am enjoying it but this is a concern for me. I need to get to that other partition. When I try to access it in Mageia through the file manager the partition is fine, although it prompts me to enter adminstration password to mount it, however in Gpart it is listed as mounted.

Any suggestions I would like to see if it is fixable without having to reinstall but if I must I will as I am willing to try and make this system work.

Thanks for your help and I need to include more info I will I am just not sure what info should be posted at this time.
kosmoskahnn

Re: Mageia 8 grub2 can't select other partions on boot

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 10th, '21, 18:12

If you press "c" for command line in the Mageia grub, and you are asked for a password, that means that you probably configured a bootloader password.
That would be at this step in the installer: https://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/c ... oader.html (see bottom of the window).
That's the password you need to provide here, username would usually be root. This was already discussed e.g. here, with some workarounds: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13011

Regarding the missing entries for Ubuntu, it would be helpful if you would add the output as root of
Code: Select all
os-prober
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kosmoskahnn » Mar 10th, '21, 21:32

thanks that helped out a lot. It booted just fine and the other system is there and working. Thanks again you have been very helpful, now I can keep testing Mageia.
kosmoskahnn

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 10th, '21, 23:36

Please mark the thread solved by editing the subject of the first post, and prefix it with [SOLVED], thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support