Can no longer login in GUI

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Can no longer login in GUI

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 4th, '21, 17:16

I can no longer login with my normal user in X.

When I try to login at the default login screen (SDDM) nothing happens, the user name, password and session fields and the 3 buttons are unresponsive.
If I tap Ctrl+Alt+Backspace a few times I can get the login to respond again for another try.
I doesn't matter if I choose Plasma or IceWm.
I can login from the terminal.
I can login with root (with wich I never logged in before) and a new user.
I recently upgraded from Mageia 7 but I could log in at least 1 time.

"journalctl --user -r" of "journalctl -k -r" doesn't seem to show anything useful.

What can I do to find out what's wrong?
nickdegraeve

Re: Can no longer login in GUI

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 4th, '21, 18:41

nickdegraeve wrote:"journalctl --user -r" of "journalctl -k -r" doesn't seem to show anything useful.

It would be helpful if you could run
Code: Select all
journalctl -ab > /tmp/journal.log
as root, after you tried to login to SDDM, and then later attach that file here so others can take a look.

A wild guess: Do you have an ~/.Xauthority that is maybe not owned or writable for your user? Sometimes this is changed to root:root when you use drakx11 test mode, and this also prevents login.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Mar 4th, '21, 19:27

It reminds of https://wiki.mageia.org/mw-en/index.php ... ahics_mode which also links a bug on sddm. It is supposed to be fixed. It may give ideas to try.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 4th, '21, 23:09

@morgano: The mention bug is about sddm not starting at all, but for OP it starts but does not process the login.
And the draktools bug is also only after X has already started, AFAICT.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby banjo » Mar 4th, '21, 23:27

I have seen this on my system as well. It is very intermittent. I get through the entry of the password, hit <return> and everything locks up. I can't even get a console to run. I have been shutting down with the power button and rebooting, after which it works fine.

I have not seen the problem recently. I cannot duplicate it on demand.

Edit: My .Xauthority is not owned by root. It is owned by the user.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 5th, '21, 07:57

@doktor5000, @banjo
OK, progress.

~/.Xauthority was indeed owned by root:root
I deleted it and then I could log in and everything seemed ok but...

After a second or two the desktop went black and the taskbar disappeared.
Some things still work: some keyboard shortcuts eg Ctrl+Fx to change desktops, apps in "session restore" are started, ...
Others don't: Alt+F2 (KRunner), right-clicking the desktop, scroll on the desktop to change desktops, Windows-key to start Kickoff, ...

What next steps can I take?
nickdegraeve

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 5th, '21, 16:21

doktor5000 wrote:It would be helpful if you could run
journalctl -ab > /tmp/journal.log
as root, [...] and then later attach that file here so others can take a look.
----
doktor5000

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 5th, '21, 17:14

As requested, the log.
Attachments
journal.log
[root@HAL9000 ~]# journalctl -ab > /tmp/journal.log
(180.95 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
nickdegraeve

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 5th, '21, 19:52

There are 3 segmentation faults while trying to start skype, this is basically the last thing before the session is closed again.

Can you try to uninstall skype temporarily, and check again ?
----
doktor5000

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 5th, '21, 20:11

Unfortunately that didn't work. I feared it wouldn't 'cause Skype was one of the applications automatically started at login and I manually exited it.

Anyways, here's the new log.
More ideas?
Attachments
journal.log
(179.39 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
nickdegraeve

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 5th, '21, 20:30

Just compared against my logs, and just one second after starting the plasma session, /bin/kshutdown runs - this does not seem normal.

Can you check what you have in autostart ? Below ~/.config/autostart and also ~/.config/autostart-scripts
----
doktor5000

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 5th, '21, 20:47

I use KShutdown to schedule shutdowns and hibernates. Normally it just starts at the beginning of a session.
I started it from Konsole and it seems to behave as expected:
[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ kshutdown
[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: kshutdown: DESKTOP_SESSION=/usr/share/xsessions/01plasma | XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
KShutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: KDE Full Session: <FOUND>
KShutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: KDE: <FOUND>
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: Init Actions
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: systemd/logind backend found...
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] critical/default: ConsoleKit Error:  "The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files"
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] critical/default: ConsoleKit Error:  "The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files"
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: systemd: CanHibernate:  "yes"
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: systemd: CanSuspend:  "yes"
kshutdown[2021-03-05T19:38:45] debug/default: Init Triggers

And there's nothing in the autostart dirs:
[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ ls -lah .config/autostart
total 8,0K
drwxr-xr-x  2 nick users 4,0K mrt  5 19:34 ./
drwx------ 49 nick nick  4,0K mrt  5 19:39 ../
[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ ls -lah .config/autostart-scripts/
total 8,0K
drwxrwxr-x  2 nick nick 4,0K aug  5  2017 ./
drwx------ 49 nick nick 4,0K mrt  5 19:39 ../
Attachments
journal.log
(176.51 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
nickdegraeve

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 5th, '21, 23:55

Well, I don't see any real obvious issues, maybe except for the opengl errors. Although your description (only black screen except for taskbar at the beginning) sounds similar to what another user reported. But for him the issue went away with a kernel update, and that was also with Mageia 7 and diffferent hardware.

What you could try, is to change graphics driver using drakx11, to something safe like vesa (and please don't use the test button, which is what causes ~/.Xauthority to be owned by root). See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_chang ... hic_driver

Apart from that, you seem to have already set a static hostname, that should also prevent issues similar to what morgano posted.

What other sessions can you choose in SDDM, and how do they behave? What happens if you run e.g. IceWM, does it start normally ?
----
doktor5000

NVIDIA driver & Plasma problem (Was: Can no longer login in

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 6th, '21, 16:41

Ok, it seems to be an issue with the current proprietary NVIDIA driver (460.56).

I installled the latest updates, with new kernel 5.10.19.

IceWM started without a problem.

I changed to nouveau and that seems to be working. Just to be sure I tried nvidia again and the problem returned.

I also tested vesa but it didn't reach SDDM. I only got a black screen with a with rectangular mouse cursor.

For now I will use the nouveau driver but it isn't a real solution as I can't play Steam games with it.
Thus waiting for the next driver release...?
nickdegraeve

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 6th, '21, 17:45

So it really seem to be the openGL errors, because that is required by SDDM.

But it can't be a general issue, because that driver version works just fine here.
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 6th, '21, 21:50

If you switch back to the nvidia driver, might be helpful if you can provide the output of
LC_ALL=C alternatives --display gl_conf
cat /proc/cpuinfo
lspcidrake -v
----
doktor5000

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 7th, '21, 08:18

I tried disabling the Compositor in the Plasma System Settings but that didn't help: the desktop just froze (instead of going black).

[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ LC_ALL=C alternatives --display gl_conf
gl_conf - status is manual.
 link currently points to /etc/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL/standard.conf - priority 500
 slave nvidia-settings.xinit: (null)
 slave display-driver.conf: (null)
/etc/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf - priority 9700
 slave nvidia-settings.xinit: /etc/nvidia-current/nvidia-settings.xinit
 slave display-driver.conf: /etc/nvidia-current/modprobe.conf
Current `best' version is /etc/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf.

[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 94
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0xe2
cpu MHz         : 3952.247
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 22
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only ept_ad ept_1gb flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest ple shadow_vmcs pml
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs taa itlb_multihit srbds
bogomips        : 6799.81
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
cpu MHz         : 3975.594
core id         : 1
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only ept_ad ept_1gb flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest ple shadow_vmcs pml
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs taa itlb_multihit srbds
power management:

processor       : 2
cpu MHz         : 3974.415
core id         : 2
apicid          : 4
initial apicid  : 4
power management:

processor       : 3
cpu MHz         : 3971.116
core id         : 3
apicid          : 6
initial apicid  : 6
power management:

processor       : 4
cpu MHz         : 3918.007
core id         : 0
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
power management:

processor       : 5
cpu MHz         : 3927.374
core id         : 1
apicid          : 3
initial apicid  : 3
power management:

processor       : 6
cpu MHz         : 3961.463
core id         : 2
apicid          : 5
initial apicid  : 5
power management:

processor       : 7
cpu MHz         : 3879.207
core id         : 3
apicid          : 7
initial apicid  : 7
power management:

[nick@HAL9000 ~]$ lspcidrake -v
i2c_i801        : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus [SERIAL_SMBUS] (vendor:8086 device:a123 subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
xhci_pci        : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:a12f subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
e1000e          : Intel Corporation|Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:8086 device:15b8 subv:1043 subd:8672) (rev: 31)
snd_hda_intel   : NVIDIA Corporation|GP106 High Definition Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO_DEV] (vendor:10de device:10f1 subv:1458 subd:3718) (rev: a1)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #9 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:a118) (rev: f1)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [BRIDGE_HOST] (vendor:8086 device:191f subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 07)
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO_DEV] (vendor:8086 device:a170 subv:1043 subd:86f1) (rev: 31)
Card:NVIDIA GeForce 635 series and later: NVIDIA Corporation|GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] [DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:10de device:1c03 subv:1458 subd:3718) (rev: a1)
mei_me          : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [COMMUNICATION_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:a13a subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:1901) (rev: 07)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|B150 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller [BRIDGE_ISA] (vendor:8086 device:a148 subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:a114) (rev: f1)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Power Management Controller [MEMORY_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:a121 subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Q170/Q150/B150/H170/H110/Z170/CM236 Chipset SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] [STORAGE_SATA] (vendor:8086 device:a102 subv:1043 subd:8694) (rev: 31)
hub             : Linux 5.10.19-desktop-1.mga8 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0002)
usb_storage     : USB2.0 External|Mass Storage Device [Mass Storage|SFF-8020i, MMC-2 (ATAPI)] (vendor:1c6b device:a223)
hub             : VIA Labs, Inc.         |USB2.0 Hub              [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:2109 device:2812)
usbhid          : Microdia|USB Keyboard [Human Interface Device|Boot Interface Subclass|Keyboard] (vendor:0c45 device:7603)
usbhid          : Thrustmaster|T.Flight Stick X [Human Interface Device|No Subclass|None] (vendor:044f device:b106)
hub             : VIA Labs, Inc.         |USB2.0 Hub              [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:2109 device:2812)
usbhid          : Full-Speed Mouse|Full-Speed Mouse [Human Interface Device|Boot Interface Subclass|Mouse] (vendor:062a device:725c)
snd_usb_audio   : Corsair|Corsair HS70 Wireless Gaming Headset [Audio|Control Device] (vendor:1b1c device:0a38)
hub             : Linux 5.10.19-desktop-1.mga8 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0003)
hub             : VIA Labs, Inc.         |USB3.0 Hub              [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:2109 device:0812)
hub             : VIA Labs, Inc.         |USB3.0 Hub              [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:2109 device:0812)
hid_generic     : Full-Speed Mouse Full-Speed Mouse
hid_generic     : USB Keyboard
hid_generic     : Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X
hid_generic     : Corsair Corsair HS70 Wireless Gaming Headset
hid_generic     : Full-Speed Mouse Full-Speed Mouse
hid_generic     : USB Keyboard
nickdegraeve

Postby irwingw » Mar 11th, '21, 21:06

I have same problem after upgrading from Mageia 7 to 8 on two computers (PC with NVidia graphic and Notebook with Intel graphic). Root can login without any problems, but user after filling username, password and clicking on Login button makes freeze the system.
irwingw

Postby morgano » Mar 11th, '21, 22:22

irwingw, Welcome to our forum :)
Sorry it is because of a problem...
Interesting it happens on Intel graphic too.
Are you too running Plasma?

Both: Can you log into IceWM, like doktor asked? Or another Desktop Environment?
Do you have another DM than SDDM to try?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '21, 22:24

As a workaround you can try to switch to the nouveau driver. Maybe a different login manager would also help (gdm, lightdm or others).

Are you sure the notebook only has intel graphics? Would be helpful if you could add the output of lspcidrake -v for both systems, just in case.
----
doktor5000

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 12th, '21, 08:23

irwingw, it seems your problem is likely related to the permissions of ~/.Xauthority. See earlier in this thread for the solution.

morgano, my problems seem to lie squarely with the nvidia driver as with nouveau I don't experience the problem.
nickdegraeve

Postby irwingw » Mar 17th, '21, 16:25

My problem is solved.
There were 3 "~/.Xauthority" files in user home directory. ~/.Xauthority and (I am not sure about the name: ~/.Xauthority-l, ~/.Xauthority-r or ~/.Xauthority-c). I deleted all 3 files and then made reboot. Login works fine.
Last edited by irwingw on May 3rd, '21, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
irwingw

Postby nickdegraeve » Mar 27th, '21, 14:05

Installed the latest updates of kernel (5.10.25) and NVIDIA driver (460.67) but still the same.
nickdegraeve

Return to Basic support