[SOLVED] Dualboot

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Dualboot

Postby Garthhh » Oct 8th, '20, 16:08

New t495
My dualboot attempt, has left me with too little memory for home
I'd like to reinstall mageia using the entire hdd,
The install media [usb] is plugged in, I checked the box to make it a media source
I'm stuck
Last edited by Garthhh on Oct 15th, '20, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Re: Dualboot

Postby Garthhh » Oct 8th, '20, 16:54

The bios boot order lists mageia as a device
Putting the usb to the top of the list, let me do an install, but now that's all I can do if I remove the usb at the end of the install process & reboot, I get shown the boot order...
Sorry my Experience doesn't meet your Expectations, I'll try Harder in the Future
Garthhh

Postby Garthhh » Oct 8th, '20, 20:11

Stuck in an install loop
I go through the install process, reboot, back to the beginning of the install
Tried different boot order options in bios
partitioning, chose use entire hdd, custom & auto allocate
if I turn the computer off & remove the install usb, I end up at a boot order list that can't be edited, tried various boot orders in the bios proper
Garthhh

Postby magfan » Oct 9th, '20, 15:04

Well, I try to figure out what might have gone wrong. Did you accidentally place the boot sector on the usb device?

1. I understand from your first post that you want to install Mageia using the entire disk (= no dualboot anymore).

2. If you do not create a separate boot partition it should be placed on the internal disk (most likely /dev/sda).

3. At the end of installation make sure to select the internal disk as booting device (/dev/sda). Do not select the usb device.

4. After finishing the installation the system should boot from the internal disk and Mageia should start without problems.
magfan

Postby Garthhh » Oct 9th, '20, 22:45

Thanks for the reply

No idea about the boot partition, I let the installer decide on partitioning, I did try custom one time but choose auto configure from there
The installer detects that many of the files are present, when doing a subsequent install
I chose an upgrade during one attempt, same result

I don't own the adapter m.2-usb to plug the sdd into this machine & reformat it

Installing a different OS may keep the installer from detecting Mageia files
I'm going to burn some other distro on a usb, which I've been avoiding,
Pclos, Suse something along those lines, I ditched all my old install media during a cleaning frenzy...

I updated the bios, before anything & don't have any need for w10 [I hope]
The dual boot left me with a home of 40gb out of 256gb

I'm about to do the the same on a higher powered x14 we'll see what's left of 1tb after a dual boot :D
It would be better to keep w10, for a year or so in case there is a bios update...
Garthhh

Postby banjo » Oct 10th, '20, 22:39

I had a similar problem on my desktop unit installing Mageia 7 on a new 1 Tb SSD. I could install Mageia 7 and run it using the SSD just fine, but when I rebooted the system, it did not recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. It just dumped me back into the BOIS screen. I didn't even get a POST beep.

It turned out that my MOBO UEFI would not recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. I installed the same OS using the legacy BIOS emulator and it booted right up.

This was not a problem in Mageia. It was a problem with my MOBO.

Your problem is probably different from mine, but you never know.

Banjo
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby Garthhh » Oct 15th, '20, 00:56

I installed a new sdd, the KDE install went swimingly, both touch screen & touch pad worked reasonably well
Garthhh

Return to Basic support