[Resolved] MGA8 Beta1+: Gdm login and lockscreen issue

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[Resolved] MGA8 Beta1+: Gdm login and lockscreen issue

Postby Kosh » Sep 30th, '20, 16:50

I am experiencing an issue with logging into Gdm and the lockscreen since a few weeks: my password consisted of some extended characters (i.e.: quote/double quote/tilde, etc. [',",`,~]) and both the login and the lockscreen do not accept them anymore.
When I noticed this I switched to tty3, logged in (without any issue) and changed my password. Now (without those characters) I could login and also unlock gdm again. Once inside the graphical environment those characters are displayed correct right as I type them in any application. I changed my password on September 6th. So the problem must have first occurred around that date.

Anyone else noticed this?

I tried searching bugzilla, but could not find anything resembling my search.
Any tips on howto find bugs that are already known would be nice.
Last edited by Kosh on Nov 2nd, '20, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kosh

Re: MGA8 Beta1+: Gdm login and lockscreen issue

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 30th, '20, 18:24

I've had that in the past with gdm, although rarely. Problem seems to be that gdm uses english keyboard layout sometimes for whatever reason,
despite the fact that a tty login uses your normal keyboard layout, and the following GNOME session also had normal keyboard layout.

Can you double-check if you can enter the special characters in gdm as expected by entering a username and testing to input the password there ? Do all characters type as expected or is it a keyboard layout issue ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Kosh » Sep 30th, '20, 18:57

Seem to be only these keys:

`,~,',",^ the grave accent (french: accent grave), tilde, quote, double quote, and the circumflex (french: accent circumflex).

For keyboard settings I will check those with MGA7.1 (keyboard input works okay there), if I see any differences I change them accordingly.

Update:
Settings match with MGA7.1 No such problems there.
Keyboard layout is: English (US, alt.intl.) on both MGA8Beta1+ and MGA7.1
Kosh

Postby Kosh » Oct 7th, '20, 20:57

Update:
Today I updated MGA8-Beta1 again via MCC and a big part of Gnome got updated to v3.38.1. Another part got updated a few days earlier (maybe a week ago).
Gnome-terminal and a few others are lagging behind at v 3.38.
Now it accepts the before mentioned keys as input, but alas the gdm-loginscreen will not allow me to pass.
I suppose itś probably best to wait for further updates, so all components are inline again with v3.38.1 ?
Kosh

Postby benmc » Oct 8th, '20, 01:57

Hi

are you able login as root via tty3.
Then run
Code: Select all
urpmi sddm
or
urpmi lightdm

this will add either the SDDM dispaly manager, or LightDM display manager.
then change display manager via
drakdm
and reboot

see if either of these let you graphically log in.

it may be a GDM issue, or other issue with Gnome itself.
benmc

Postby Kosh » Oct 8th, '20, 13:47

I changed my password back to a more conventional one at tty3, and now it lets me pass again.

I will await further updates to see if I get back to normal.
Kosh

Postby Kosh » Nov 2nd, '20, 21:31

Update:
After Gnome was fully updated recently and I changed the password back in MCC, I was allowed to graphically login again.

The workaround from before, ie. changing the password in a terminal did not let me login into GDM with the extended characters in the password.

I consider the issue resolved for now.
Kosh

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron