[SOLVED]After 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libxkbcommo

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED]After 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libxkbcommo

Postby Myles » Sep 16th, '20, 10:38

So more problems with this re-install.

I successfully re-installed 7.1 onto a new SSD and upgraded the system with the latest updates.

I have been installing my applications since then.

On trying to install my VPN, I get the error msg "
Code: Select all
(due to unsatisfied libxkbcommon-x11)" Abort or Okay

I tried to install this using
urpmi libxkbcommon-x11
but an error msg saying no such package name.

So, am I missing a repository? How do I find out where this package is to install??

Any help, always greatly accepted.
Last edited by Myles on Oct 22nd, '20, 04:08, edited 3 times in total.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Re: Afer 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libkbcommon-x-11

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 16th, '20, 18:09

You can query package names via urpmf -f --name some_name_to_search but we don't have a package with that name nor anything that provides this.

Have a look at the later part of viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13485
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Afer 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libkbcommon-x-11

Postby Myles » Sep 17th, '20, 04:48

doktor,
Thanks for that, I suspected that might be the case - that Mageia doesn't have the package.

I have raised an issue on the VPN forum (where I found a few other hits on the same topic for other distributions from times past)
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Re: [CLOSED]After 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libxkbc

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '20, 17:08

Hint: the workaround how to install your VPN package is also in the linked thread.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Sep 18th, '20, 04:22

doktor,
Okay, reading down through my past disasters I get to this point:
"doktor wrote"
Please reinstall x11-server-common so that the libgl link is not missing anymore. As root:

urpmi --replacepkgs --replacefiles x11-server-common

So, before I put more holes in my feet, I just wanted to verify if this is the point you are referring to? (So I don't muck things up again)

Then once that is done I follow on and install the VPN like I did in the previous disaster?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 18th, '20, 17:46

Nope.

doktor5000 wrote:No. libxkbcommon-x11 is the package / rpm requires tag that we want to ignore, when installing name_of_your_vpn_client_package_here.rpm - that is what --allow-nodeps does.

urpmi --allow-nodeps name_of_your_vpn_client_package_here.rpm

In the last post of that thread you even posted the command yourself which worked for you ...
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Sep 19th, '20, 05:12

doktor,
Sorry, misunderstood yet again!

I had been trying that cmd previously but replying "n" to the error msg thinking that is what I should do. Quite forgetting that replying "y" had worked previously! (In that thread from my previous problems.

Anyway, VPN is all installed but not working for some strange reason - getting an error msg saying it can't connect to VPN port in Firewall - even though as part of the "getting the VPN started procedure" I set the FW to allow everything, then start VPN, and when connected and working, reset FW back to normal settings. So I'll have to open another question in the VPN forum about that one.

Also, just as a side issue, (not important, but annoying), since the re-install, I am getting those "locale" error msgs again, even though I install selecting Australia in the install! Weird.

Anyway, hanks for your help, as always.

I'm going away tomorrow for a week so won't be bothering anyone with problems.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Re: After 7.1 re-install VPN won't install - libxkbcommo

Postby Myles » Oct 1st, '20, 11:45

doktor,
I removed the [CLOSED] off the subject as I have more information.

I was on the VPN forum it was suggested I run the VPN in "debug" mode. I did this and found that the error I was getting on starting the VPN "Could not connect to the VPN management socket. Please check your firewall settings" (This occurred even though the FW was set to "allow everything"!

Anyway, in the debug file, just prior to the error msg is this: (I replaced the name of my VPN in the path)
OPENVPN STDERR:  "/opt/torguard/bin/openvpn: /lib64/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found (required by /opt/name_of_VPN/bin/openvpn)"

I checked the installed version and it seems as though (to me anyway) that this is what is installed. (see attached screenshot)

OpenSSL - installed version_Screenshot.png
OpenSSL - installed version_Screenshot.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

Am I incorrect in that assumption?
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '20, 18:53

No, it's not. The vpn binary requires a symbol OPENSSL_1_1_1 which is not provided by the library, as you can also see by the versioning: It's openssl 1.1.0

[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[18:51:14]─[~] objdump -t -T /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 | grep OPENSSL_1_1_1
[✗]─[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[18:51:16]─[~]

You'd have to use an older vpn client which works with OPENSSL_1_1_0
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Oct 2nd, '20, 08:41

doktor,
Thanks for that. That explains why the VPN worked previously under an older version of the app but since I have reinstalled 7.1 and installed upgraded versions of the app it no longer will work. I'll see if I can drop back to an earlier version and get it to work.

Your invaluable help always greatly appreciated.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 4th, '20, 04:14

doktor,
The person who was assisting me in the VPN forum discovered this:
Mageia Core x86_64: https://mageia.pkgs.org/cauldron/mageia-core-release-x86_64/openssl-1.1.1g-1.mga8.x86_64.rpm.html

So I presume I can't install that onto my #7.1 system and will have to wait till #8 is released. (Any idea when that might be?)

I have Cauldron installed so I can test the latest version of the VPN on that to check that it does indeed work.
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '20, 14:40

Myles wrote:So I presume I can't install that onto my #7.1 system and will have to wait till #8 is released. (Any idea when that might be?)

No you cannot without breaking your 7.1 installation. And no idea when 8 will be released, I'd say earliest Q1 2021 or something like that.
----
doktor5000

Postby Myles » Oct 5th, '20, 04:33

doktor,
Yes, I was pretty sure that would be the case. Just a forlorn hope really to get this thing going!

Well, Q1 isn't that far away then is it!

I just tried to boot into Cauldron but it wouldn't boot for some reason. I gets stuck after mounting some drives and just stops. So I'll have to work onfinding out what has happened to that.

I'll let you know how I go running the VPN in Cauldron (if I can get to successfully boot it)
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Postby Myles » Oct 22nd, '20, 04:08

doktor,
Apologies for the long to to get back. I finally got an older version of the VPN to install and work successfully.

However I'm still getting problems with getting into Cauldron, but that's another issue (a known issue of
"acpi PNP0C14:02: duplicate WMI GUID 05901221-D566-11D1-B2F0-00A0C9062910"
I'll close this one though..
Myles,
Canberra, Australia
Myles

Return to Basic support