New Mageia7 Install - can't make samba guest shares

New Mageia7 Install - can't make samba guest shares

Postby greywarlock » Sep 1st, '20, 21:59

I have gotten a new computer to act as my general file server, to replace one running Mageia5, where I had the samba shares set up with share access.

The new machine is running Mageia7. It has a static IP address on the network. It can see the Mageia5 shares, as well as the shares on the Windows machines. It can get to the internet without a problem. I have explicitly made sure that SMB shares and autodiscovery are allowed through the firewall. I have also tested the below with the firewall completely off - with no change noticeable.

When I try to setup samba sharing on the new machine, everything looks correct in the control center, but the new machine can't see the shares, and neither can the other machines. I've been tooling about with my original smb.conf to bring it up to spec with the "user" security level, since share has been deprecated. The point is to have all of the shares accessible to anyone who plugs into the given network without needing username or password, like the old server, since that's the point of this internal network and this server. Easy access to for those on the specific in home network. Based on my prior settings, I only have 2 samba users - nobody and warlock, with nobody set as the guest account. Neither has a discrete samba password set.

I have tried to set up the new smb.conf mostly the same as my prior one, but with guest access enabled. But so far, no luck. It's clear I'm missing something, but I can't see the error compared to the examples, man pages, or my experiences prior. Here's the current smb.conf for review. Any insights would be most appreciated.

Code: Select all
[global]
    workgroup = Haven
    server string = The New Server
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    printcap cache time = 60
    printing = cups
    cups options = raw
    guest account = nobody
    map to guest = bad user
    security = user
    netbios name = Andromeda
    restrict anonymous = no

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[Docs]
    path = /home/warlock/Docs
    comment = My Documents
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    inherit permissions = yes
    hide dot files = yes
    force create mode = warlock
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Downloads]
    path = /home/warlock/Downloads
    comment = Download & General Transfer
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Gaming_Video]
    path = /home/warlock/Gaming_Video
    comment = Video Game Backups
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Tabletop_Gaming]
    path = /home/warlock/Tabletop_Gaming
    comment = RPGs, Board, War and Other
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Tech]
    path = /home/warlock/Tech
    comment = Tech Program Backups
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Visual]
    path = /home/warlock/Visual
    comment = Pics, Photos, and Videos
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
[Audio]
    path = /home/warlock/Audio
    comment = Music & Sounds
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    read list = nobody
    write list = nobody
    admin users = nobody
    valid users = nobody
    hide dot files = yes
    force group = warlock
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    guest only = yes
greywarlock

Re: New Mageia7 Install - can't make samba guest shares

Postby greywarlock » Sep 4th, '20, 00:19

Ok, I have now spent a ludicrous amount of time trying to pin down this issue, to no avail.

I decided to start from scratch and reinstall mageia 7 on the computer, I set the computer to a static ip on the network, and I created the directory folders I wanted to eventually share under my home directory. I have made sure to allow smb and network autodiscovery through the firewall.

Once complete, I went to the MCC/Network Sharing/Share Drives and directories with Windows (SMB) systems

I started the initial samba server configuration, as a standalone server. It gave me no choice to use share (because it's deprecated) and thus was set to user (from what I can see in the file), set the workgroup name, the server string, did not set any explicit hosts allowed, and completed the configuration. I then added a share for each of the folders I had created - set as public, browseable, and writable, set to inherit permissions, to hide dot files, and preserve case - but set no other advanced options.

The smb service showed as running, but in Plasma, when I went to dolphin, to network, the new server, Andromeda, did not show under the smb connections. If I attempted to type in the name directly, I would receive the error "Could not connect to host for smb://andromeda/".

Interestingly, if I load up in a different graphical desktop - cinnamon, or gnome, for instance, and I go to network - Andromeda shows in the list. As do its shared folders!

But if I try and access them, it presents a pop-up to sign in as a registered user, or anonymous. If I try anonymous, it simply repeats the pop-up until finally locking up. If I log in as root, and do that in cinnamon or gnome, or anything but plasma, it allows me read access to the folder. If I then log back in as my normal user in alternate desktops, I can now access, but not write into the shared folders. If I go back to plasma, regardless of user, the network in dolphin gives the same error, "Could not connect to host for smb://andromeda/". In all instances, the smb service appears to be running, with no errors.

If I then try and set, through MCC, specific read/write/admin/valid users, masks, or force group - I can - but it appears to have no affect. If I try to force create group - smb fails to load as a service.

If I go into the smb.conf file and explicitly add to global settings guest account = nobody, guest ok = yes, and map to guest = bad user, as suggested by information on allowing passwordless guest access in samba without share access, it also appears to have no effect.

So, I'm at a loss. It was a completely fresh install with no additional program installs, but so far, through dozens of iterations of the smb.conf, and individual share settings, based on what I am reading in the docs pages and online searches, nothing seems to work. Also, The only time I see an error or failure when checking the status of the smb service, is when I have tried to use the force create group under advanced options in the MCC.

All I want to do is simply share a series of directories so that they are accessible without a username or password to any other machine on the local network. The fact that I can't do it as easily as I could in Mageia's 1 through 5 is frankly, maddening.

If anyone has any insight, I'm open to trying it. Otherwise, I may just have to give up on Mageia, and try another distro.

Thanks in advance
greywarlock

Postby greywarlock » Sep 4th, '20, 18:41

I've tried a different two more tacks.

First, trying to set up a global set of settings in smb.conf using the usershare variables. Doing this finally allows Dolphin to see the local server, but no other machines on the network can. And attempting to share the desired folders still does not work either through MCC or smb.conf editing.

I reverted to the most basic smb.conf that the MCC had built, and attempted to use kdenetwork-filesharing, in an effort to use a native extension of Dolphin to allow sharing. While a share tab does now appear on the properties folders, I can check share with share with Samba (it autofills the directory name), and then Allow guests, and give full control to the everyone, and then refresh to see the updated folder icon. The supposedly shared folder is not visible under the server, locally or otherwise. Further, if I go back to the the folder properties to the Share tab, no user is granted any options in the Allow Guests list. Also, at no point in this process did the interface ask or prompt for a root password to confirm this change.

Another set of dead ends. Any ideas out there?
greywarlock

Postby magic » Sep 4th, '20, 22:57

Is the nmb daemon running?
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby greywarlock » Sep 4th, '20, 23:02

Couldn't tell you at the moment - I am in the process of reinstalling from scratch again to see if I somehow mangled a setting i was unaware of. But I will double check that once the system is up and running again.
greywarlock

Postby greywarlock » Sep 5th, '20, 00:35

nmb was running.

My problems were three-fold.

1) network filesharing plugins were not properly installed
2) the smb.conf did not have ALL the correct settings necessary for the new guest access method, and for whatever reason, a fresh start of the smb share in MCC was not producing what was needed - I stole the default smb.conf froma manjaro install that worked on the network
3) Despite letting smb and network discovery through the firewall, or even disabling the firewall - only the IPv4 firewall was shutting down. The IPv6 firewall was still running no matter what, unless I shut it down under services.

Once I had all three of these issues covered, things are now working as expected, and I can add shares through the MCC without a problem.
greywarlock

Return to Networking