Mageia 8 ClipGrab crashing, Tartube not working...

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Mageia 8 ClipGrab crashing, Tartube not working...

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 22nd, '20, 14:10

I now have 2 installs of Mageia 8. It is really stable so far but... i was trying to copy this set of stretches i saw on U-Tub that I was not familiar with. I fortunately rarely interact with U-Tub.

But when I fired up Tartube it says that it can't update youtube-dl. Then when I put in the link it says:

11:58:55 Tartube warning! #140: Tartube is assuming the Gtk v3 is broken; some (minor) features are disabled

(Maybe such as the update of youtube-dl? As I recall is Mageia 7 the old GUI needed to update youtube-dl before it would work & it can't be done here.)

Trying to download it says: (Video with no name) Download did not start

Went to clipgrab, it pops up a warning about an update. I said remind me later but it will crash in about 30 seconds or maybe when I do something such as trying to change the default folder from desktop to videos.

So Clipgrab is unusable and maybe I do not know how to setup Tartube here.

I thought it should have at least the basic connection to youtub-dl. It is not seeming plug and play. So if anyone has more experience with how to set it up, I Goggled but for basic setup that's what I did... I don't know why it won't do anything. I am just put in mind of the old GUI and it would do nothing as well until it updated youtube-dl. This is stuck unable to do so.

I thought it would go here under Video...

Any advice is welcome, thank you. Oh, yeah mentioning the 2 install because it's exactly the same on the other install which is on another computer. Same results.
Sabungayam

Re: Mageia 8 ClipGrab crashing, Tartube not working...

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 22nd, '20, 14:11

Don't know if it's important but that TIME Tartube has is NOT the time on my computer so no clue where it got it.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 22nd, '20, 14:17

Sabungayam wrote:I now have 2 installs of Mageia 8.
[..]

There is no Mageia 8 yet, please keep that in mind. And everything related to cauldron goes in the cauldron subforum.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 02:51

Ok, so I should post this there? Thank you... sorry for wrong posting.
Sabungayam

Clip Grab Crashing, Tartube not working M8

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 02:57

now have 2 installs of Mageia 8. It is really stable so far but... i was trying to copy this set of stretches i saw on U-Tub that I was not familiar with. I fortunately rarely interact with U-Tub.

But when I fired up Tartube it says that it can't update youtube-dl. Then when I put in the link it says:

11:58:55 Tartube warning! #140: Tartube is assuming the Gtk v3 is broken; some (minor) features are disabled

(Maybe such as the update of youtube-dl? As I recall is Mageia 7 the old GUI needed to update youtube-dl before it would work & it can't be done here.)

Trying to download it says: (Video with no name) Download did not start

Went to clipgrab, it pops up a warning about an update. I said remind me later but it will crash in about 30 seconds or maybe when I do something such as trying to change the default folder from desktop to videos.

So Clipgrab is unusable and maybe I do not know how to setup Tartube here.

I thought it should have at least the basic connection to youtub-dl. It is not seeming plug and play. So if anyone has more experience with how to set it up, I Goggled but for basic setup that's what I did... I don't know why it won't do anything. I am just put in mind of the old GUI and it would do nothing as well until it updated youtube-dl. This is stuck unable to do so.

Any advice is welcome, thank you. Oh, yeah mentioning the 2 install because it's exactly the same on the other install which is on another computer. Same results.

I also add because I don't know if there is as significance that that TIME given is way off my computer clock, so no idea where Tartube came up with that.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '20, 10:53

I already moved it in the appropriate subforum, no need to duplicate your post.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '20, 11:01

You may want to have a look at https://github.com/axcore/tartube#tartube-crashes-a-lot and https://github.com/axcore/tartube#can-t ... ad-a-video
What happens if you manually try to download a video with youtube-dl as mentioned in the second link ?
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 11:58

well, to be perfectly honest, there's the reason that I use a GUI. I have no clue how to manually download a video with youtub-dl in CLi. Never tried. Because I do it so seldom. I can have a try maybe after I Goggle how then I will let you know what happens.

I understand that Tartube is here because of dependencies. Is there no other alternatives? SM youtube browser said it can download then there's no option that I can find in it. It does seem that Tartube is not connecting to the youtube-dl.

I will try a manual CLi download as you suggest and report what happens. Thank you.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 12:06

Have just downloaded a video to test with youtube-dl. It started just fine and is downloading the video.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 12:15

opened Tartube, output says:
Code: Select all
/home/introverted/.local/bin/youtube-dl --newline -i --hls-prefer-native -o /home/introverted/tartube-data/Unsorted Videos/%(title)s.%(ext)s --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-thumbnail --download-archive /home/introverted/tartube-data/Unsorted Videos/ytdl-archive.txt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5w3nZpvdI0

But it never started. The TEST youtube-dl doesn't work because it seems there is a folder missing. It does seem that this folder should have been made by Tartube when it set up it's folders. I will try to stick it in the path it wants and see if it will test.
Last edited by isadora on Aug 23rd, '20, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please place command-output between [CODE]-tags, to improve readability, thanks ahead!!! ;)
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 23rd, '20, 12:24

That worked fine, this is the output from the TEST:

Starting info operation, testing youtube-dl with specified options
/home/introverted/.local/bin/youtube-dl -o /home/introverted/tartube-data/.temp/ytdl-test/%(title)s.%(ext)s /home/introverted/.local/bin/youtube-dl --newline -i --hls-prefer-native -o /home/introverted/tartube-data/Unsorted Videos/%(title)s.%(ext)s --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-thumbnail --download-archive /home/introverted/tartube-data/Unsorted Videos/ytdl-archive.txt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5w3nZpvdI0
youtube-dl process did not start
Info operation finished

Seems the same result as attempting a downloand. LIke it is not reaching youtub-dl here at all.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '20, 17:59

Well it shouldn't use a local installation of youtube-dl (/home/introverted/.local/bin/youtube-dl in your examples) so this is more likely a problem with tartube.
Have a look at https://github.com/axcore/tartube#setti ... s-location and try to adjust it to the system path /usr/bin/youtube-dl where youtube-dl is located when installed via Mageia packages.
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '20, 21:34

FWIW, I've reported the issue upstream: https://github.com/axcore/tartube/issues/152
tartube works fine once you change "Actual path to use" on the youtube-dl tab to /usr/bin/youtube-dl.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 24th, '20, 11:48

Ah, Ok. Thank you very much! I am off vacation and back to work, so I shall do that as soon as I can... change the path. Is it supposed to come with it's own youtube-dl? OR just that it has the wrong path settings?
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 24th, '20, 16:24

The linked github issue should describe pretty clearly what the issue is. "Actual path to use" has the wrong path by default, it should be /usr/bin/youtube-dl
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 24th, '20, 23:42

I had looked at the github before writing this but it is too jumbled for me to follow really. So I didn't see the section or part that refers to this. Thank you for the clearer instructions on setting the path. I just saw the basic setup really and since you had asked me to use the CLi to test it, I got the video that way and found the section with all the commands to use it CLi.

Listed more clearly there for Youtube-dl

I will change the path when I have a moment am and back at the computer.
Sabungayam

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron