[Solved]Arora lost ability to open Wiktionary but Firefox?

[Solved]Arora lost ability to open Wiktionary but Firefox?

Postby mvjap3 » Jul 27th, '20, 00:47

This morning I tried to open Wiktionary with Arora http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page
and got
Error: 400, Invalid HTTP Request.
I've tried off and on all day with same results. I initialy tried to get there with a bookmark that used to work. A little while ago I was using Firefox in a different desktop area and decided to try, I hadn't set a Firefox bookmark to it so I got there via a Startpage search, which worked. Then I returned to Arora and tried again.
Wikimedia wrote:Request from - via cp2033.codfw.wmnet, ATS/8.0.8
Error: 400, Invalid HTTP Request at 2020-07-26 22:15:33 GMT

So I did the same startpage search from Arora and still get:
Wikimedia wrote:Request from - via cp2033.codfw.wmnet, ATS/8.0.8
Error: 400, Invalid HTTP Request at 2020-07-26 22:34:13 GMT

So since it works with Firefox, does anybody know what's wrong with Arora?
Arora, BTW, is still working well enough for me to be using it to post this, it just can't open Wiktionary.
Last edited by mvjap3 on Jul 28th, '20, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
mvjap3

Re: Arora lost ability to open Wiktionary but Firefox can?

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 27th, '20, 16:38

You should use a different browser. Last commit for arora is from 2017, it's a dead project since then.
Other, more recent Qt-based browsers include falkon or otter-browser.

If you still want to make it work you would have to open developer tools (usually via F12) and look at what headers it sends, and what the website returns and where it fails.
Apart from that, it doesn't matter if a website works in one browser, and fails under a different browser on the same system. Each browser sends a different user agent and also behaves slightly differently.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mvjap3 » Jul 28th, '20, 00:33

doktor5000 wrote:You should use a different browser. Last commit for arora is from 2017, it's a dead project since then.

Well then maybe I should check out falkon then. I tried otter-browser and liked the idea of it but something kept using a lot of band width, at least acording to the little display box next to the date on the lxpanel that I add to openbox, the green lines would be more than half way to the top of that display box and fill it sideways wall to wall until I'd kill the otter-browser session.That's when I remembered that I had Arora installed and switched back to it... At least Arora doesn't seem to fall victum to whatever was doing that when otter-browser was running a little too long.

doktor5000 wrote:If you still want to make it work you would have to open developer tools (usually via F12) and look at what headers it sends, and what the website returns and where it fails.
Apart from that, it doesn't matter if a website works in one browser, and fails under a different browser on the same system. Each browser sends a different user agent and also behaves slightly differently.

Yeah that makes sense, even to me... Thank you!
mvjap3

Postby mvjap3 » Jul 28th, '20, 01:48

doktor5000 wrote:You should use a different browser. Last commit for arora is from 2017, it's a dead project since then.

OK falkon isn't bad. I do wish it had a keyboard shortcut to open the main menu though. But at least it seams stable enough. It gave me a little bit of a hard time importing my bookmarks. It couldn't get them from Firefox or google chrome. Fortunately my old opera bookmarks were still where it expected them to be, even though opera itself is poof gone in mga7... So Falkons got most of my bookmarks albeit from an outdated listing...
Thank's again!
mvjap3

Return to Networking