[SOLVED] Video Editing help required for idiot

[SOLVED] Video Editing help required for idiot

Postby essenby » Jun 9th, '20, 11:06

Hi,

I have just installed Mageia 7 alongside Windows 10 and manged to get rEFInd to boot into both successfully. I wanted to try out video editing under Mageia, so after activating the media I installed "kdenlive". All appeared to go well and I have an icon in my applications list. But clicking (or double clicking) doesn't seem to have any effect. It doesn't start.

As I'm VERY new to Mageia have I missed something out? Do I (should I) need to do anything else?

This is on an ACER Acer Aspire E1-571 with 8Gb Ram fitted, and a 1Gb SSD with MageIa installed on a 400Gb partition.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by essenby on Jun 26th, '20, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
essenby

Re: Video Editing help required for idiot

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 9th, '20, 17:13

Can you please open up a terminal (you can find it under applications > tools > konsole) and run
Code: Select all
kdenlive
there, then wait a minute or so and please copy & paste the whole content of the terminal here?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby essenby » Jun 10th, '20, 23:33

Hi, thanks for the help. Results as follows: -

Code: Select all
[xxxxx@linux ~]$ kdenlive
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)
[xxxxx@linux ~]$
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 12th, '20, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
essenby

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 12th, '20, 14:16

What desktop environment do you use currently, and what Mageia release did you install (GNOME, KDE, XFCE ?).
Are you maybe running a wayland session? I'd suggest trying to log out, then select a regular X11 session, then login again. If you're running GNOME, either GNOME, GNOME on Xorg or GNOME classic should work.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby essenby » Jun 12th, '20, 16:31

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what desktop environment I am using. I suspect it is GNOME as I installed from "Mageia-7.1-Live-GNOME-x86_64.iso" burned to a USB stick. I have no recollection of selecting "Wayland" or any other session but will do as you suggest and log out and try again.
essenby

Postby essenby » Jun 14th, '20, 10:44

It appears I am using the GNOME desktop. Both GNOME on Xorg and GNOME classic just present me with a black screen with an active mouse cursor. Both the other (Icewin) option simply return me to the login prompt.

All in all Mageia seems to be trying to persuade my that it isn’t the district for me!
essenby

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '20, 14:44

I'd suggest to give the KDE live image a try, but it seems you have already given up on Mageia ...
----
doktor5000

Postby essenby » Jun 15th, '20, 14:48

I wouldn't say "given up", just that my confidence in Mageia being able to provide what I was looking for, or expecting, has taken a bit of a knock. I actually preferred the look/presentation of the Gnome desktop which was why I downloaded that version, but might try KDE.
essenby

Postby essenby » Jun 26th, '20, 14:41

Quick update on the situation for anyone who is interested. Rather than "give up" I removed kdenlive and replcaed it with pitrivi. That worked "straight out of the box" and seems fairly easy to work with and if it produces the results it promises i'll probably stick with it.

So for now, we can consider this [SOLVED] :D
essenby

Re: [SOLVED] Video Editing help required for idiot

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 26th, '20, 15:00

Thanks for sharing that. Although I believe you mean pitivi - http://www.pitivi.org/ ?
----
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Video Editing help required for idiot

Postby essenby » Jun 26th, '20, 15:09

Yes - that what I meant. Not sure whether it was Freudian slip or an auto correct :-D
essenby

Return to Video