Unable To Install Mageia 7.1

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Unable To Install Mageia 7.1

Postby TamagoMazete » Jun 24th, '20, 07:35

Burned iso to flash drive, installed, removed flash drive, pressed enter, selected Mageia at boot screen, boot freezes. See IMG_0215.jpg.
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg (684.97 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Reinstalled, removed flash drive, pressed enter, pressed "e" at boot and added " nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500" after "splash quiet" (there's some more text after that). Boot seemed to work. Created a root password, created user, clicked continue, went to IMG_0212.jpg. Typing alt+sys_req REISUB just makes the boot go back to IMG_0215.jpg, regardless of the nvme_core.default stuff.
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg (700.4 KiB) Viewed 837 times

I know this isn't a problem with my hardware because I've successfully installed Windows 10, Fedora 32, KDE Neon, kUbuntu, openSuse, and Pop_OS! on this computer (not all at once lol, just to test my rig).

Thanks for any help.
TamagoMazete

Re: Unable To Install Mageia 7.1

Postby TamagoMazete » Jun 24th, '20, 08:57

That was on the live install. I tried the classic install before and had the same problem. However, I tried the classic install again after the live install and it worked just fine. Don't know why.
TamagoMazete

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '20, 11:07

For the error message regarding from ucsi_ccg "failed to reset PPM!" that should only result in a ~50 second timeout, nevertheless boot should still continue.
You can workaround that by blacklisting by putting
Code: Select all
blacklist ucsi_ccg

in a file below /etc/modprobe.d/ or adding it to one of the existing blacklist files there.

TamagoMazete wrote:Reinstalled, removed flash drive, pressed enter, pressed "e" at boot and added " nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500" after "splash quiet" (there's some more text after that). Boot seemed to work. Created a root password, created user, clicked continue, went to IMG_0212.jpg. Typing alt+sys_req REISUB just makes the boot go back to IMG_0215.jpg, regardless of the nvme_core.default stuff.

Where did you get that setting from? Also, it would help if you would mention what computer/laptop model and make you currently test this on.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby magic » Jun 24th, '20, 11:08

For a first thought:
What is you GPU, and what driver did you select for it?
What kernel version is trying to boot?

--
edit: Oh well, I'm still on a go slow atm! /
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby TamagoMazete » Jun 24th, '20, 16:40

doktor5000 wrote:For the error message regarding from ucsi_ccg "failed to reset PPM!" that should only result in a ~50 second timeout, nevertheless boot should still continue.
You can workaround that by blacklisting by putting
blacklist ucsi_ccg

in a file below /etc/modprobe.d/ or adding it to one of the existing blacklist files there.

TamagoMazete wrote:Reinstalled, removed flash drive, pressed enter, pressed "e" at boot and added " nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500" after "splash quiet" (there's some more text after that). Boot seemed to work. Created a root password, created user, clicked continue, went to IMG_0212.jpg. Typing alt+sys_req REISUB just makes the boot go back to IMG_0215.jpg, regardless of the nvme_core.default stuff.

Where did you get that setting from? Also, it would help if you would mention what computer/laptop model and make you currently test this on.

Even after many minutes, the boot would not continue after failed to reset ppm. Weird thing is, during the classic installation I had verbose mode open and I saw those "ucsi_ccg..." lines appear for about 1 second then booting continued normally.

How can I put
blacklist ucsi_ccg

in a file below /etc/modprobe.d/ if I can't get very far past the boot screen? Can I press "c" and put it that way?

The "nvme_core.default..." setting I found on the eratta.

I built my own computer. Ryzen 5 1600 AF, Nvidia Gtx 1650 Super, Crucial 1TB nvme, other stuff.

magic wrote:For a first thought:
What is you GPU, and what driver did you select for it?
What kernel version is trying to boot?

My GPU is the Gtx 1650 Super. I tried both non-free and nouveau, both had same issues. Don't know the kernal version, the one that's on the live install .iso from two days ago.

The problem could be that the kernal and graphics drivers in the live install are not the same as the kernal and graphics drivers in the classic install.

Thanks again for your help!
TamagoMazete

Postby magic » Jun 24th, '20, 18:25

Usually the default kernel will be the most recent version listed on the grub menu - look under advanced options.

Because it's quite a recent gpu I'm just wondering if that's where it's hitting an issue. For a test you can try booting with 'nomodeset' (I'd remove 'splash' and 'quiet' too) to see if you get to a terminal.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Return to Basic support