PCSX2 fail i5 dual core with legacy Nvida card GT240

PCSX2 fail i5 dual core with legacy Nvida card GT240

Postby Sabong8 » May 8th, '20, 13:50

PCSX2 broken_2020-04-24_14-13-02.png
This was from April. I unistalled it and tired it after updating. no change
PCSX2 broken_2020-04-24_14-13-02.png (394.72 KiB) Viewed 3111 times

PCSX2 broken 2_2020-05-07_22-48-51.png
PCSX2 broken 2_2020-05-07_22-48-51.png (202.17 KiB) Viewed 3111 times

I didn't find anything under my search in the forum for PCSX2 except something back from 2017 a request for it.

I have installed it.

1. If I leave the console message windor open. It is SO SLOW! I can not describe how slow. Click on a menu and it takes forever to show and then slow slow slow. The message in the console window is a complaint about pixbuf which is insalled.

2. It is saying my hardware is not able to run it? I can run in using the Nuevo open source driver in Debian because at the moment I can not get that particural Debian install to install the Nvidia driver.

3. When I close the console message window it reacts at a normal speed. But I get the message I ill try to attach here.
Last edited by isadora on May 8th, '20, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum.
Sabong8

Re: PCSX2 fail i5 dual core with legacy Nvida card GT240

Postby doktor5000 » May 8th, '20, 17:38

What graphics driver are you currently using on Mageia ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 9th, '20, 05:33

My mistake. I thought I had mentioned I am using the Nvidia Driver. I must have left it out.

Even switching to software emulation however makes no difference.
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » May 9th, '20, 11:07

What desktop environment and what Mageia version are you using currently? Do you maybe have something like 3D desktop effects enabled ?
Also, are you running an X session or do you use wayland ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 9th, '20, 11:17

1. Yes 3D dekktop is running in KDE
2. I do not touch Wayland, I am running X session.
3. Except for the difference in the driver, it's the same as in Debian.

The Debian testing PCSX2 is pretty broken. I am acually running the SID package there.

I also went to Xfce to test it and got the same results. I have Xfce, KDE & Enightenment desktops here.
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » May 9th, '20, 11:30

Sorry, I forgot 1 question... this is Mageia 7.1 install. It was done as net-install. Exactly because at that time I had a concern about the integrity of my USB which I have replaced. I also like the choice I get in the net-install. It isn't Mageia 8 though I did consider upgrading to it to see if the PCSX2 would work but it seems a poor trade off for one bit of software when everything else is quite nice at the moment.

Now that I've sorted out the issue with hostname...
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » May 10th, '20, 04:12

I want to consider putting Mageia on my NUC-Skull Canyon. So at the moment testing Live 7.1 there.
A side note but would likely have to go under "sound" is that Mageia in live can not produce any sound? I actually use a
USB sound card plug n' play there due to only 1 jack designed for headsets which I don't use. So when I need a Mic
that's what I use. I have 2 and both are detected but no output. Same if I plug in to the regular jack. Detected but just
nothing...

My actual point for this posting is, as it's a test, I installed PCSX2 there and minus sound it works!! SO does this rpm not
like Nvidia? Even then should not just switching to software not work? I have 4gb of ram here, and this is a 10 year old
machine but, it starts in Debian. The Skull Canyon is a newer unit with i7 quadcore. Plus 16gb of newer RAM. Have no
idea what is going on here on this machine. Poor memory? It is old but everything else works fine here, browsers, etc.
Last edited by isadora on May 10th, '20, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed coding for better readability.
Sabong8

Postby Akien » May 10th, '20, 11:00

I'm the maintainer for our PCSX2 package.

It's not very clear from me what the problem is exactly, or what difference experience you have with PCSX2 on Debian that could make this a Mageia-specific issue and not one for upstream PCSX2: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues

But some points:

• Your GPU is a low end card from 2009. You can forget any kind of advanced gaming with it, and especially forget about emulating consoles. Emulation requires a lot of resources, way more than the original console hardware had, so you need a fairly high end GPU if you want to be able to play any PS2 game with more than 5 FPS. You CPU is likely quite limited for emulation too, which requires a lot of processing power to emulate the behavior of the console.
  • Similarly, software rendering is never going to give you good performance. On a high end CPU, you could maybe get up to 5 FPS in a simple 2D OpenGL game. Software rendering is not made as an alternative for people with bad GPUs, it's made to have a consistent, reproducible pipeline to debug graphics issues, at the cost of performance, but without dependency on black box GPU drivers and often buggy specification implementation.
  • If it works better on Debian, it's likely due to a driver difference. Debian doesn't ship proprietary Nvidia drivers so you're likely using the open source Nouveau there - it typically has very bad performance, but maybe for this old card it's actually better than the unmaintained Nvidia drivers. Yet, I'd be very surprised if you're able to play any PS2 game with decent framerate and audio demuxing on a dual core and that GPU on Debian.
  • The only issue which seems relevant here (i.e. not a natural consequence of trying software that requires a powerful machine on a very old computer) is the slowdown when the console displays those GTK errors. I can also reproduce those GTK errors on Mageia 8, but not the slowdown. They seem related to GTK themeing, and you use a custom theme, so that might be why (I reproduce them with breeze-gtk). But that's not directly related to Mageia, it's a problem of the PCSX2 application itself, so I would suggest opening a bug report about this specifically on https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues

All in all, if you want to do gaming on any distro (or even Windows), use your most recent/high end machine for that. Apart from pre-2010 2D games or pre-2005 3D games, gaming requires a lot of resources (good CPU, good GPU, good amount of RAM). Emulation requires even more so (I'd say to run a 2003 PS2 game you should have at the very least a mid to high end 2013 computer to have ~30 FPS).
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby Sabong8 » May 10th, '20, 12:43

Ok, yeah it is an old machine. What I will mention that I noted on my Skull Canyon, that's what I usually run it on. I always heard that it was supposed to be better on Nvidia cards so thought I'd give it a try. I wouldn't really play on this machine anyway.

Small screen 15 in. Etc. I can indeed play PS2 emulation, and this is weird, on my Celeron work machine. Really. Yeah, it is slow but I would have thought this i5 should manage something.

Well, that slow down with the console open. Again this is running from LIVE image on a USB. I can reproduce that on my Skull Canyon. Wheni I close that console then everything is smooth and that's an ALL INTEL Machine. To avoid issues and for my beeds it's easier to buy all Intel hardware.

Again I'm surprised it runs on the Celeron. Slow Motion mind but I didn't think it would start there at all.

Thank you for you time and suggestions. I just mention the slow up with the console open but OK. I won't worry about it on this machine. I was just wondering if there were another issue.

Thank you again.
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » May 10th, '20, 12:48

Out of curiosity, jush how much power do you recommend? My GPD WIN also plays PCSX2 fine.

Actually I am an ULTRA CASUAL gamer. I only play rips of my PS2 DVDs and PSX titles. That's all I use. I don't do PC games. Too much trouble to set up for me.

I don't have and Windoz machines other than the Win 2 because I haven't decicde what Linux to put on it and I am really thinking Mageia.

So how porwerful is needed?
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '20, 17:38

Sabong8 wrote:Well, that slow down with the console open. Again this is running from LIVE image on a USB. I can reproduce that on my Skull Canyon. Wheni I close that console then everything is smooth and that's an ALL INTEL Machine.

So why do you open the console at all if you know that it causes a slowdown, you don't need the console to play, no ?
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 11th, '20, 02:13

Generally it's default. When you start PCSX2 it is there unless you close it. As I mentioned before I usually play on my Skull Canyon. So I just left iy and never bothered to close it out of habit. I close it now because here it seems to interfere with the menus for some reason.

That's why it's open. I am not clear if that's normal behavior with this version or not. Here on this old unit even in Debian I am using this newere 1.5 version. On my NUC except for the Live mode test and when I install Mageia there, I have one Distro that is only for playing. It's Debian Stable (Not even updated yet) and it is JUST to play PCSX2. The other is just where I work or do things I need to do such as going online. So it's using an older version still. I think 1.4? Default is that console opening.

I have always just left it. Same with the Win 2. At the time of PCSX2 install it was 1.4. Console opens. I never bonthered to close it. (Nor update to the newer version because I plan to put Linux there eventually and pretty much use it when traveling, not much chance of that
right now, and my policy is if it isn't broke, don't fix it. For the games I use, unlikely the very popular ones, It works fine. So I leave it alone.)

That's why it's open and just thought I would mention that because I am not familiar with changes with the 1.5 version. Don't know if that's a 1.5 version issue or not. Example is the Debian on here is Testing. In fact the 1.5 PCSX2 seems to have some issue. It is super slow regardless of whatever hardware. Similar to the slow down with the console and menu but only when started. That's why I said above it's pretty broken in Debian. I just pulled the newer version build from SID after I Goggled and saw many comments about it. I don't use Ubuntu or any of it's spin offs but I saw similar comments there about the 1.5. Maybe the SID is using the 1.6 builds? So I don't know what may be something issue wise with 1.5 build. Just thought I would mention it happens.

Otherwise from Akien's reply, I understand this machine's hardware is just too old to handle PCSX2. So just won't worry about it here.

Again that was a mistake, on my part though I know the graphics card is pretty weak, I don't buy units for gaming, I just thought the old i5 could at least handle it and was curious to test if there were better support with Nvidia. Something I'd read somewhere.

As stated all the years I've had this I have run Linux on it and only until I put Mageia here did I even try to put PCSX2 on here. I only went to the Debian Install to see if I'd get the same message. It did not give that message so that's why I thought that there may have been some other issue and created this post.

Apologize for my error.

Thank you to everyone for you help and time.
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » May 11th, '20, 15:48

It might help if you would just add a small list, on which of your devices pcsx2 works in a somewhat useable speed, including the pcsx2 version. It's not really obvious from all the text what you're comparing to what, on what OS/hardware and where it works in what version.
Also, you can't really compare running pcsx2 on a native windows installation vs. running it under linux on different hardware, that's a apples vs. oranges thing (regarding your comparison to the GPD Win).
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 12th, '20, 16:35

OK, I wouldn't really know about the differences with Windoz. The Win 2 just came with it and I was not aware there was a big difference in Windoz performance on it vs Linux. Maybe should do more research.

OK. This old lappy here is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz (Hardware in Control Center) - Mageia\Sparky Debian
The Skull Canyon NUC is : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6770HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (Hardware in Control Center) - Live Mageia USB now.
Work NUC is : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz (Have not reistalled Mageia there yet) - MXLinux Debian (not systemd), Gentoo (not systemd), Sparky Debian, OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 (Sparky broke, systemD had fit. Takes 2-5min to boot after I installed MXLinux and Getoo because those partitions changed it seems. I will replace it with Mageia. Which was there until I lost access to MCC)

That's what I've got. It does seem just as Akien mentioned. Maybe something with Nvidia such as the graphics card is too weak
and whatever PCSX2 is looking for it can't detect and says the machine is not sufficient to run it. Ironically because in Debian I
can NOT install the Nvidia driver, it does not have a problem running because it is using open source driver. I can't even get 3D
desktop with the open source Driver here with Debian. Funny it worked. I usually have the habit to install the Nvidia driver. Just couldn't.

It is actually faster than the Celeron I guess due to the higher clock speed. Despite having only 2 cores.

You mentioned Native Windoz. So PCSX2 is mostly a Native Windoz emulator ported to Linux? I am not so much trying to compare just
to see where it works. I will give a Live session a try here later.

I will boot it without prorietary drivers. So it should use the open source driver and I'll see if what we think is the case. The Nvidia is too weak and it will actually run using the open source driver with software emulation. I was able to run Champions of Norrath in Sparky Linuk which seems to be pretty heavy. With some slow down but playable. This is the only thing with an Nvidia card. Everything else I own is all Intel hardware.

I hope that list is more clear. I have been using Debian for years now when Mandriva ended so mostly familiar with it. With the occasional build a Gentoo but it needs too much baby sitting. It's like running Debian SID. I don't have the time. Also don't like the sudden changes.

NOTE: Sparky is Testing Rolling. MXLinux is Debian Stable with backports. (Sparky does have a base on Stable as well.)
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » May 12th, '20, 18:02

Sabong8 wrote:I hope that list is more clear.

Well, not really - you don't mention which system runs pcsx2 just fine, as it sounded like you have systems where it does work as expected.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 13th, '20, 11:01

I thought I did. I apologize.

On this laptop PCSX2 works in Sparky Debian Linux with open source driver. Does not seem to work with Nvidia driver in Mageia.
Per the suggestion of Akien the package maintainer I will later run PCSX2 in Live with Mageia here without proprietary and see what happens. (I do suspect it may work.)

I only had PCSX2 installed on a Skullcanyon NUC with the specs listed above. I have it in Sparky Debian Game Over addition. It comes with all that and in fact I only play PCSX2. (Not counting WIN 2)

I have another Sparky Linux there and I do not have PCSX2 there. It is for working so only one has the PCSX2 for when I want to use it. At this very moment. that Skullcanyon has the Live USB of Mageia on it. It has PCSX2 installed into the Live session and minus sound which is not a PCSX2 issue but seems to be a live issue, PCSX2 is working very well as long as you close the console as mentioned above. It has been running the Mageia Live session for 3 days, 18 hours and 23 min. I will probably try Live here this coming weekend. I am on JST time as I am in Japan.

That is an an Intel Machine. So I think that maybe there is some issue with Nvidia and this particular card. Whether it's just too weak or something else.

On the Sparky Linux install here, I can run PCSX2 and that install done not have Nvidia drivers installed because there seems to be some problem installing them in Debian at this time. I was unable to do so.

I did Install just to see what would happen PCSX2 on my work machine and that is as described above. It can only use software rendering from my understanding because PCSX2 itself doesn't seem to communicate with the Intel GPU or something. That's what led to my curiosity to try it here because it seems it is supposed to communicate and work better if you have an Nvidia GPU.

On than Machine, the work NUC. PCSX2 though slowly works in everything I have installed there. MXLinux (Debian stable. Gentoo. OpenSuse.) Not Sparky there because though it boots the behavior has been to weird and it will soon be replaced as soon as I check and back up anything there that isn't in Storage Partition. I will replace it with Mageia in fact.

I hope that clears up better where PCSX2 is working, under what conditions. I will post here this weekend after I try the Live expirement here.
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » May 18th, '20, 06:04

PCSX2.png
PCSX2.png (489.06 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
PCSX2 works without Nvidia driver.png
PCSX2 works without Nvidia driver.png (213.34 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
:D ;) TADA!!!

Something with the Nvidia Card as suggested!! Maybe it's too weak? Maybe something with the current proprietary Driver?

In Debian I have never gotten 3D desktop with the Open Driver. Here I am in LIVE from USB with Mageia. 3D desktop in KDE
works fine and is enabled.

So here we are. PCSX2 works fine without the proprietary driver and it's smoother here in Mageia using the open driver for my old GT240M Nvidia laptop card which is supposed to have it's own 1gb of DDR3 RAM. According to the sticker on the computer. :lol:

Attachments
PCSX2 a.png
PCSX2 a.png (372.54 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » May 18th, '20, 17:30

And what exactly did you change in between ?
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » May 19th, '20, 14:58

I apologize. I am not quite sure what you mean?

The only change here is:

1. Running Live vs Installed.
2. I selected LIve to boot without proprietary Nvidia driver.

That's the only thing different really that I am aware of.

So, it seems there is some issue with the either the card or proprietary driver.
Sabong8

Return to Video