Switching to Networkmanager Default loses MCC GUI!

Switching to Networkmanager Default loses MCC GUI!

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 28th, '20, 15:04

Hi all, I am new here. Meant to join. Mandriva was my 1st Linux use back in 2006 when I started. When it went I looked elsewhere. Now I am back because someone asked me about Linux and when I was searching for something for him I found the Mageia project. So I had to try it! Got it on 2 machines now. This being the 2nd.

Sadly it will need to come off until this issue is sorted out. I just found :o on my other Machine I have no MCC GUI either. Now YES I read the other entries about MCC and Policykit. The thing here is, I had MCC up until I followed the instructions to set up Network manager as default. Right after that. No MCC. I didn't realize it was not working on the other either until I had the bright idea to just try to reinstall it using urpmi. Only when I went to open it to get the name, Surprise!!! Same problem there. This is my work machine and I was really looking to having Mageia to work with here.

This is the 2nd install because the same thing happened the 1st time. I just reinstalled. I wonder if it is possible to make this some kind of option in the install where we select networkmanager and it automatically gets added. I used a Netinstall and I am not sure if there is another conflict. I installed XFCE and Enlightenment at the install. I am in KDE now and that's what I did the change commands in. I checked XFCE but same thing. MCC GUI is not starting.

Since it seems related to my setting Networkmanager to deal with my Wifi connection, this is why I am starting a new topic here... In my searching I have found nothing that seems to solve this issue nor sure exactly what is causing it. Seems like a conflict somewhere but I am not sure where or how.
Last edited by isadora on Apr 28th, '20, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed coding for better readability and moved topic to appropriate lcation.
Sabong8

Re: Switching to Networkmanager Default loses MCC GUI!

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '20, 17:07

What happens when you run drakconf from a terminal as your user? What if you run it as the root user as follows
Code: Select all
su -
enter password
drakconf

Please post the complete command & output here for both cases.
If drakconf is installed, please also read viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13058 and provide the output of the commands I've posted there.

Also, did you set a hostname during initial installation ? Please also post the output of
hostnamectl
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 29th, '20, 09:30

Good day, thank you for your quick reply.

I do not recall there being an option in the installer to create a host name? Didn't see it.

I will tell you what the result of that command to check is in a moment.

I did it again, but I did try the command in a terminal you typed here before. It gives me the ncurses MCC. Not the GUI.

If there are ways to post screen shots here please tell me. I do not use any photo uploading sites.

Now for the HOST:
Static hostname: localhost
Transient hostname: localhost.localdomain
Icon name: computer-laptop
Chassis: laptop
Machine ID: c70c1
Boot ID: 1a331
Operating System: Mageia 7
Kernel: Linux 5.5.15-desktop-3.mga7
Architecture: x86-64

Apparently a system default? Where, for future reference, may I find that in the Net-Installer or whichever installer I use?

Do you think this is a cause of the issue? As I stated, I did have the GUI until I switched to networkmanager and nm-applet.

Thank you and how do I set a HOST name. CLi at this point. (Note Machine ID and Boot ID I cut off the numbers that isn't the whole thing. SO it isn't an error of any type. I deleted part of it. )
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 29th, '20, 09:42

Apologies, I omitted one of your questions. As standard user when I type drakconf in terminal, it actually brings up the dialog box asking the root password. Then does nothing. As when I click. As stated already, as root in terminal I get the ncurses MCC.
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 29th, '20, 10:07

A note, I don't know if this is related. I am unable to open any X sessions software within root terminal?

Commonly I'll open a root gui file browser. They all fail.

Example output:
mousepad:13094): Mousepad-ERROR **: 16:57:25.627: Cannot open display:
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Thunar: Failed to initialize Xfconf: The connection is closed

No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(thunar:13175): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:01:29.289: cannot open display: :0

Dolphin just complains about Wayland and on this legacy machine not even thinking about it. My work unit for class in an Intel NUC but it's just a Celeron because I use it for very basic things and carry it around all the time. I am not sure Wayland is ready for full time and I don't mess with it.

I
Sabong8

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 29th, '20, 17:51

For how to upload screenshots: Below the forum editor (only available in Full editor, not via quick reply), switch to the tab "Upload attachment".
Upload your picture, then when finished, click in the editor window where you want your picture to display, and click the button "Place inline".

For your question why it opens the ncurses GUI, probably because your hostname changed since you booted, and hence the X authorisation (which is tied to the hostname) is usually not working anymore.
Explanation and some more details about this is in the linked thread.

That's why you should set a hostname. You can do that in the installer during setup of the network interface, which is during the install summary, at the end. See http://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/co ... ms-network
For the netinstall it might be at the beginning of the install.
You can also do that later, see e.g. http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/7/en/content/ ... ml#d4e1620 - but it's easier to simply set it via hostnamectl, and ensure that you don't get a hostname via DHCP. So as root in CLI do
hostnamectl set-hostname YOURHOSTNAMEHERE

where YOURHOSTNAMEHERE would be your new hostname.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 30th, '20, 10:22

Ok, thank you, that's the command I was looking for. I did look at those links you sent me before. Is that also why I can not open any ROOT GUI software such as the file browsers? Same thing?
Sabong8

Postby Sabong8 » Apr 30th, '20, 10:28

Yes, it is the same one I used before so I have set then. I got it from the link you sent. Thank you very much. An unusual devepment.

In other Linux distros the installer usually set it with you user name so I "never" thought about it. Yes, as you mentioned it was there but I didn't bother with it. When I install next time I will know now to set it.

Thank you for you help. I will reboot later and I think that should take care of everything.
Sabong8

Postby jeevanism » Jun 15th, '20, 13:27

Hello,

I just got the same issue what OP stated, no more MCC GUI and the Install/Remove software as well. Only the the ncurses version works if I run mcc from root command line. I read the replies posted above and changed my hostname. I will reboot and check if the MCC - GUI is back

I ran drakconf in root and normal user console and output as below

normal user
[jeevan@linux ~]$ drakconf
Too late to run INIT block at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 257.
Ignore the following Glib::Object::Introspection & Gtk3 warnings
No protocol specified
Cannot be run in console mode.

root user
[root@linux jeevan]# drakconf
Too late to run INIT block at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 257.
No protocol specified
[root@linux jeevan]#

[root@linux jeevan]# hostnamectl
   Static hostname: jeevanism
         Icon name: computer-laptop
           Chassis: laptop
        Machine ID: 1b716bb7d2654f8da949149259538d89
           Boot ID: f169590204a74a67ae1dd219edceb906
  Operating System: Mageia 7
            Kernel: Linux 5.6.14-desktop-2.mga7
      Architecture: x86-64
[root@linux jeevan]#
jeevanism

Postby jeevanism » Jun 15th, '20, 14:04

Confirmed !
setting the host-name solved the issue. Now MCC gui works fine :) :) :)
jeevanism

Postby kirmonkey » Oct 28th, '20, 17:14

I can confirm this problem and this solution on Mageia 7.1.

So, when installing network manager in place of network applet there is a reversion of the system hostname in /etc/hostname to 'localhost'.

Solution:

# nano /etc/hostname

Then change 'hostname' in this file to what it should be/you want it to be.

Save and close file (ctrl-o and ctrl-x) and...

Reboot.

Sabong8, could you edit the subject line with [SOLVED] in it please so others know there is a solution here?
kirmonkey

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 28th, '20, 18:06

kirmonkey wrote:So, when installing network manager in place of network applet there is a reversion of the system hostname in /etc/hostname to 'localhost'

No, there's not - that only happens when you didn't set your hostname properly beforehand, or when you accept a hostname change via DHCP.
----
doktor5000

Postby kirmonkey » Oct 29th, '20, 10:48

The doctor is completely correct. I hadn't set my hostname at install.

What caught me out was that at my terminal prompt I was presented with the actual 'name' for this machine rather than 'localhost'. I'm guessing that this was drawn from elsewhere on the system (~.bashrc from /home) rather than the hostname file.

Anyway, the fix given seems to work - any objection to my making a note of this (amending hostname file) on the wiki?

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Switching_to_networkmanager

Peace.
kirmonkey

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 29th, '20, 17:37

kirmonkey wrote:Anyway, the fix given seems to work - any objection to my making a note of this (amending hostname file) on the wiki?

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Switching_to_networkmanager

Well, this is not really related to switching to networkmanager, but good practice for every installation. Hostname should always be set.
----
doktor5000

Return to Networking