[Solved] Min max close button layout

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved] Min max close button layout

Postby schnappi » Apr 20th, '20, 00:42

Hello

I see that firefox does not follow min / max / close layout. (I am talking about the Orange/green/red dots/buttons at top left.)
It is differently set as close / min / max.
Can someone help me to force it to work like other apps?

TB button layout.png
TB button layout.png (26.6 KiB) Viewed 2014 times

Mousepad layout.png
Mousepad layout.png (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2014 times

Firefox button layout.png
Firefox button layout.png (21.99 KiB) Viewed 2014 times

Thx,
+A
Last edited by schnappi on Apr 24th, '20, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
schnappi

Re: Min max close button layout

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 20th, '20, 16:47

It would be appreciated if you can use one of the support subforums, if you have a support-type question.

The buttons follow your selected theme. As you selected a custom theme, you would have to check that theme on how to change the button order, as that is part of the theme.
Check https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme#button_layout
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby schnappi » Apr 20th, '20, 16:56

Apologies. But i didnt understand much. Yes, its custom theme. And using xfce setting, I shifted min/max/close buttons to left side of windows title. But this should work for all apps/programs. Here it doesnt work only for FF. I havent done any FF specific setting.
schnappi

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 20th, '20, 17:08

And you didn't want to mention that in the original post, so people should guess this ?
schnappi wrote:Yes, its custom theme. And using xfce setting, I shifted min/max/close buttons to left side of windows title. But this should work for all apps/programs. Here it doesnt work only for FF. I havent done any FF specific setting.

The button order is still defined by your theme, and drawn by the window manager. Maybe read up on that, e.g. https://forum.manjaro.org/t/firefox-not ... n/104400/6
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby schnappi » Apr 20th, '20, 23:19

I changed back to defaults and did some tests. Its found that only FF doesnt follow the button layout settings. All other apps follow the button layout setting.
So for eg: here we can see that windows mgr and mousepad are following the button layout settings. But FF is still going its own way.
I will try to check the manjaro link soon. But somehow its still disconcerting to see only FF following its own ways.

Can you (or anyone else) please do a short 2 mins test on your machine by launching FF, windows manager and mousepad and then changing the button layout? It would be much faster to just compare, understand & conclude if its just my machine or a generic issue/bug/limitation.

Some tests.png
Some tests.png (140.65 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
schnappi

Postby schnappi » Apr 23rd, '20, 17:29

Firefox seems to follow different rules depending on whether title bar is enabled or not. Please take a look at the attachments. Any solution to make it work consistently as per generic OS settings is much appreciated.

Title bar enabled.png
Title bar enabled.png (51.12 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

Title bar disabled.png
Title bar disabled.png (53.36 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
schnappi

Re: [Solved] Min max close button layout

Postby schnappi » Apr 24th, '20, 13:28

The "solution" is to change windows setting layout such that its same as FF without toolbar. After few hours you get used to the new layout. And there is consistency all across the OS
schnappi

Return to Basic support