[Solved] Difficult Mageia 7.1 with Ge Force GTX 1650

[Solved] Difficult Mageia 7.1 with Ge Force GTX 1650

Postby ictiosis » Apr 8th, '20, 20:38

Hello!
I'm just joining the forum to ask if there's any way to install Mageia 7.1, I'm saying this because yua will have installed it about 10 or 11 times and always the same problem: screen freezing and rebooting kernel panic or better said grub2 error with `rescue`.

My hardware:
Code: Select all
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: B365M DS3H
  UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F5
  date: 08/13/2019
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i5-9400 bits: 64 type: MCP
  L2 cache: 9216 KiB
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
  3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU117 [GeForce GTX 1650] driver: nvidia v: 440.82
  Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.82
Memory: 15.58 GiB

I have downloaded the Gnome Plasma iso's and the 4.2 gigas Classics where I installed one by one, the last one was iceWM and then with an rpm I found on the net, because menumaker is not in the repos, at least I didn't find them, I installed OpenBox. After turning off the PC for a few hours I turn it on again and paff! again with the error of Grub2 can not start ...

Anyway, I don't know how you can make Mageia run like silk, until now I haven't been able to run with the hardware I have.

All my respects.
Last edited by ictiosis on Apr 9th, '20, 20:21, edited 3 times in total.
Hijo mío, siempre en mi corazón y alma !!!
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."
-- Wolfgang Pauli --
ictiosis

Re: Difficult Mageia 7.1 with Ge Force GTX 1650

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '20, 22:40

So if your issue with grub comes after a shutdown after a successful installation, why is your question on how to install it ?

For your grub2 issue, you should add some context information on what operating systems you have installed besides Mageia, if you use classic MBR or GPT and if you use legacy BIOS boot or UEFI.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ictiosis » Apr 8th, '20, 23:23

doktor5000 wrote:So if your issue with grub comes after a shutdown after a successful installation, why is your question on how to install it ?.

My problem does not lie in the grub, but in the proprietary drivers that Mageia uses, I need 440.60 minimum and the kernel uses 430.36
The Grub2 cannot be started or restarted since the Bios / UEFI does not always recognize it, except at the end of the installation, then at the second or third start or restart the system can no longer be run.

doktor5000 wrote:For your grub2 issue, you should add some context information on what operating systems you have installed besides Mageia, if you use classic MBR or GPT and if you use legacy BIOS boot or UEFI.

I have Arch Linux installed, without graphics or Grub problems, using GPT /boot/esp UEFI
-- Wolfgang Pauli --
ictiosis

Postby ictiosis » Apr 9th, '20, 01:48

doktor5000 wrote:So if your issue with grub comes after a shutdown after a successful installation, why is your question on how to install it ?

Grub2 is not the problem, but the proprietary drivers, which are behind on Mageia. For this reason all the problems come, and Grub2 is one of them, for the simple fact that Bios / UEFI complains when starting or restarting the system.

doktor5000 wrote:For your grub2 issue, you should add some context information on what operating systems you have installed besides Mageia, if you use classic MBR or GPT and if you use legacy BIOS boot or UEFI.

I have Arch Linux installed and it goes smoothly with the above drivers in my first post.
Also I use GPT / boot / efi / esp
Other distros and installed without problems → Slackware, Fedora 31, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just did another installation, Plasma fresh from the oven and I'm posting this one, before Arch's.

Well, everything correctly installed and waiting for this one to work. If it does not work I will let you know so I can debug the problems.

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 0d)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 0d)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode]
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #19 (rev f0)
00:1b.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #20 (rev f0)
00:1b.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #21 (rev f0)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev f0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev f0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f0)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f0)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev f0)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev f0)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device a2cc
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117 [GeForce GTX 1650] (rev a1)

[ictiosis@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Mageia"
VERSION="7"
ID=mageia
VERSION_ID=7
ID_LIKE="mandriva fedora"
PRETTY_NAME="Mageia 7"
ANSI_COLOR="1;36"
HOME_URL="http://www.mageia.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.mageia.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.mageia.org/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Privacy_policy"
-- Wolfgang Pauli --
ictiosis

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 9th, '20, 18:18

ictiosis wrote:My problem does not lie in the grub, but in the proprietary drivers that Mageia uses, I need 440.60 minimum and the kernel uses 430.36
The Grub2 cannot be started or restarted since the Bios / UEFI does not always recognize it, except at the end of the installation, then at the second or third start or restart the system can no longer be run.

Would you mind to explain the relation between UEFI not recognising Mageia's grub, and the version of the proprietary nvidia drivers ? Because I don't understand the context at all.

Can you please post the output as root of
efibootmgr -v

Can you also elaborate why in particular you need 440.60 as minimum version of the nvidia driver ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ictiosis » Apr 9th, '20, 19:34

The truth is that I was wrong, nobility obliges, I apologize!

All my confusion was in the BIOS:
[root@localhost ictiosis]# efibootmgr -v
EFI variables are not supported on this system.

Having 2 SSD disks, what I did was put Mageia as the primary boot and it is not. There to put the disc where Mageia is. (In Arch it goes both ways, with a disk name or a Linux distro name)

I thought the problem was with the drivers and it is not. That's where all my confusion comes from because the system was freezing with reference to the fact that the bios did not allow the Mageia grub to start and now it does not do it at all with the bios as appropriate.

Very grateful for your time and attention!
Last edited by doktor5000 on Apr 9th, '20, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
-- Wolfgang Pauli --
ictiosis

Return to Video