Can I use Nvidia Prime render offloading on Mageia?

Can I use Nvidia Prime render offloading on Mageia?

Postby CheeseEBoi » Apr 3rd, '20, 20:20

Hello, I've been looking for a release-based Linux distribution to use with my Dell XPS 9570 laptop with an Nvidia card. I see that Mageia has the Xorg 1.20.7 server which supports Nvidia PRIME render offloading, however Mageia only has the version 430 drivers. Will Mageia ever include versions 435 or 440 (the versions which support Nvidia Optimus)?
CheeseEBoi

Re: Can I use Nvidia Prime render offloading on Mageia?

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 3rd, '20, 23:31

Optimus is basically supported since Mageia 5. Why do you think you need higher versions of the nvidia driver for that ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby CheeseEBoi » Apr 3rd, '20, 23:41

Because the newer versions have render offloading so that I can run most applications on the iGPU whereas when I need to play a game or render something I can use my dGPU. RPM Fusion explains it pretty well https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus if you ignore all the Fedora stuff.
CheeseEBoi

Postby wintpe » May 4th, '20, 16:58

CheeseEBoi
can you tell me, does this only work with optimus equiped laptops or will it work with
say an amd graphics as primary running screen and an nvidia as a render/accell engine.
regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby CheeseEBoi » May 4th, '20, 17:12

From what I've heard, it may be able to. But I am not aware, also they still haven't packaged the 440 drivers for Mageia so I don't really know why you're asking.
CheeseEBoi

Return to Video