[solved]Network Manager: No wireless connection.

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[solved]Network Manager: No wireless connection.

Postby Bequimao » Nov 7th, '19, 21:51

Network Manager: No wireless connection.

When trying to connect to a wireless connection with plasma-applet-nm, I get the following message:
"Networkmanagement - Failed to add connection
Connection <name> is not available on device wlp2s0 because profile is not compatible with device (device MAC address does not match the profile)"

The same connection works with Mageia 7. This is not my home network. I am not sure if worked before on my home connection. I am presently located in Brazil. The brazilian provider does not support IPv6.

Further info
Code: Select all
[root@mga8-cauldron ~]# systemctl list-units | grep -i network
  sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1c.0-0000:02:00.0-net-wlp2s0.device                              loaded active plugged   AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (Unex DHXA-225)   
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlp2s0.device                                                         loaded active plugged   AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (Unex DHXA-225)   
  NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                                              loaded active exited    Network Manager Wait Online                       
  NetworkManager.service                                                                          loaded active running   Network Manager                                   
  systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                       loaded active running   Network Time Synchronization                     
  network-online.target                                                                           loaded active active    Network is Online                                 
  network.target                                                                                  loaded active active    Network                                           

[root@mga8-cauldron ~]# lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 wireless
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0032] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Unex DHXA-225 [105b:e044]
        Kernel driver in use: ath9k
        Kernel modules: ath9k

Best regards,
Bequimão
Last edited by Bequimao on Nov 9th, '19, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Bequimao

Re: Network Manager: No wireless connection.

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 8th, '19, 14:40

Can you post the full output when you try to establish the connection with
nmcli con up <name>

and also the connection itself (excluding maybe the SSID or other such private details)
nmcli con show <name>

From the error message it seems you should take a look at the following links:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne ... domization
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1121523 ... ss-to-eth0
https://superuser.com/questions/1349228 ... ac-address

Another option would be to simply create a new connection from scratch, as it seems you're trying to connect to an already existing connection.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Network Manager: No wireless connection.

Postby Bequimao » Nov 9th, '19, 22:51

Creating a new connection worked fine. I removed the files /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<name>* and could then simply connect to the wifi network.

I tried also to disable MAC address randomisation after the first link (Arch wiki), but that proofed to be not necessary. Reverted the change later.

Thanks,
Bequimão
Bequimao

Re: [solved]Network Manager: No wireless connection.

Postby laidlaws » Jan 7th, '20, 06:20

After the last update to Mageia8 (Cauldron) I have identical symptoms, but the above fix doesn't help. I have Cauldron as my default OS, and an earlier Cauldron installation to watch. When my default system wouldn't connect, my earlier system had no problem -- until I updated it. Now it shows the same condition. In addition the "Configure" menu that I can bring up by clicking on the applet, returns to the "Configure" prompt far too early. I can get a connection by running ifdown then ifup.

It looks like a recently introduced bug, but I am not sure which RPM to nominate on Bugzilla.
laidlaws

Postby zekemx » Mar 13th, '20, 19:51

Hi,

Same happens to me, plasma-applet-nm was connecting great, but I think it was since mageia 7.1 that stop working. Now I have Mageia 8 Cauldron and everytime I want to connect to wifi I get a message that says: Failed to add connection, Connection 'mywifi' is not available on device wlp2s0 because profile is not compatible with device (device MAC address does not match the profile).

The only way I am able to add a wifi is by using Plasma 5 System Settings / Connections add use the + Sing below / WIFI, and on the SSID look for the Wifi you want, the BSSID and Restrict to device... Once added plasma-applet-nm will connect them with no problems.

I hope this is fixed... I loved Networkmanager.

Regards
Ezequiel Partida
zekemx

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 14th, '20, 16:05

zekemx wrote:I hope this is fixed... I loved Networkmanager.

Did you report a bug for that anywhere, or maybe ask about this issue in KDE forums so maybe you can debug why this is happening ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Bequimao » May 20th, '20, 17:18

A new router, and I had the issue again in Mageia 8 Cauldron.
This time I had to disable MAC address randomisation before it worked.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Configuring_MAC_address_randomization

# cat /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/wifi_rand_mac.conf
[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Best regards,
Bequimão
Bequimao

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron