[SOLVED] HP wireless officejet pro 8020 won't print

[SOLVED] HP wireless officejet pro 8020 won't print

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 23rd, '20, 12:10

Have just purchased this new printer since my old psc2410 has seized up.
After a struggle and using hpsmart I managed to print things in Windows 10 - terrific! But I use Mageia and also tried Mint; no luck. Have tried MCC, hp-setup : the printer seems to be recognised but just will not print. In MCC clicking the printer job queue just freezes everything except the top rhs x (to close the page).
Can anyone help please with a similar experience and hopefully a solution?
Mike Finch. :(
Last edited by MikeFinch on Feb 29th, '20, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
MikeFinch

Re: HP wireless officejet pro 8020 won't print

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 23rd, '20, 13:18

Have you tried connecting the printer locally via USB before trying to set it up via wireless connection? That's the first thing I'd suggest.

Apart from that you should also run hp-check -i as root and post the whole output here, that would be really helpful.

You may also want to look at a similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12722
The OP there removed the printer via HP device manager, and added it back via MCC / system-config-printer directly as network printer and was then able to print.

hplip version should not be an issue, HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 requires hplip in version 3.19.5 which is what's available in Mageia 7.
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 24th, '20, 04:35

I HAVE TWICE (REPEAT : TWICE) TRIED TO SEND MY REPLAY WITH ATTACHMENT APPARENTLY WITHOUT SUCCESS - MOST FRUSTRATING.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 'POST A REPLY' AND 'QUICK REPLY'??

I ALSO NOTICED THAT MY FIRST POST ONLY SEEMED TO WORK WHEN I ADDED AN EMOTICON.

AM I A NUMBSKULL OR IS IT REALLY A CONVOLUTED PROCESS - IF THE LATTER, WHY CAN'T IT BE MORE INTUITIVE?? AND WHY 'PREVIEW'; I THINK I CAN UNDERSTAND 'DRAFT' THOUGH!!
MikeFinch

Postby isadora » Feb 24th, '20, 09:05

Please use normal sized characters, as is common.
This way it sounds like yelling, which is obviously not your intention.
Thanks ahead.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 24th, '20, 18:23

MikeFinch wrote:WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 'POST A REPLY' AND 'QUICK REPLY'??

That is pretty simple: quick reply, as the name suggests allows to quickly write a reply without calling for the separate forum editor, usually useful if you only want to write a quick reply with text only.
For everything else, including markup and attachments you need the forum editor that comes with a regular reply.

MikeFinch wrote:AND WHY 'PREVIEW'; I THINK I CAN UNDERSTAND 'DRAFT' THOUGH!!

Drafts are totally different from a preview. A draft is a complete post, that can be saved and loaded back later on - although you can only save drafts without attachments, as far as I remember. Same as with email drafts.
Preview is used to check how your post would look like if you would post it, without posting it.

If you have questions about forum editor handling, please create a separate thread in the subforum dedicated to forum: viewforum.php?f=18

And as already mentioned, please don't write in all uppercase, that is considered as yelling.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 25th, '20, 02:16

Doktor5000 : Yes I used a USB cable initially to set up the communication between the printer and my modem/ISP. I had removed hplip 3.19.5 because 3.19.12 seemed available. Then went back to version ... 5. Perhaps these changes have something to do with my problem?

I ran hp-check -i which produced a long .log file - will send separately since previous sending attempts seemed to lose everything. (Is it me or the forum software?). Hopefully this file will shed some light on my problem(s)?

Your first tip (viewtopic link) seems complicated. I will avoid it for now! The second link shows that my printer is compatible with Mageia - I had seen this before.

So I will now send this reply off and then attempt to send the .log file separately.
MikeFinch

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 25th, '20, 02:40

Again.......I am getting nowhere. I find the attachment using 'Browse' and then click on 'Add the File' and this reply vanishes and nothing seems to upload.

I am sending this as is - no attachment. How on earth do I include an attachment???
MikeFinch

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 25th, '20, 23:54

MikeFinch wrote:Again.......I am getting nowhere. I find the attachment using 'Browse' and then click on 'Add the File' and this reply vanishes and nothing seems to upload.

First you click on 'Add the File'
attachment1.PNG
attachment1.PNG (7.24 KiB) Viewed 7609 times

after it has been uploaded, then you see your uploaded file in the section above called "POSTED ATTACHMENTS".
Either leave it like that, then those attachments will be shown at the bottom of your post, or click the button "Place inline" to place them anywhere inside your post like this:
attachment2.PNG
attachment2.PNG (3.88 KiB) Viewed 7609 times

You can click the Preview button to see how your post would like before actually posting it and without losing anything.

As you can see, I've just tested this and it works just fine. Maybe you should add some more details on what browser you're currently using.

Apart from that, only hplip-3.19.5 is available for Mageia 7, so not sure what you installed. 3.19.12 is only available for Cauldron, which is the Mageia development release.
https://madb.mageia.org/package/show/ap ... name/hplip
----
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 26th, '20, 04:29

Doktot5000 : thanks for your helpfulness. I went through the process of responding and when I clicked on submit the post simply vanished! I am therefore totally fedup. I will now have a second go. Btw I am no idiot with years and years of experience so I don't know what the h... is happening.

Here I try and explain again : I selected the .log file and then 'Add a file'. My post went blank. And nothing seemed otherwise to happen. I then tried 'Preview' and was warned in red about having too few characters (something like that).

And that's it - zilch.

My browser is FireFox v 68.5.0esr. Is it something to do with FireFox's settings/preferences?

It should be dead easy to add an attachment and send it with a post; but clearly something is going wrong. Am I supposed to wait several seconds for the process to proceed or what?

It appears to be the 'Add a file' stage where my system goes awry.
MikeFinch

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 26th, '20, 19:33

MikeFinch wrote:It should be dead easy to add an attachment and send it with a post; but clearly something is going wrong. Am I supposed to wait several seconds for the process to proceed or what?

Depending on the size of the attachment and your internet connections it may even take more then a few seconds to actually upload the attachment, yes.
I've just tested this and uploaded an 170kB .log file for testing purposes, and it took around ~2 seconds here.

Also, at least for the .log file, you can simply copy&paste the contents into your post, preferrably using code-Tags. You don't need to upload it as an attachment.
----
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 27th, '20, 02:16

Righto! I will try copy and paste .......

file:///var/hp-check.log

I used ctrl-c and ctrl-v; presumably this isn't good enough? The file is only 15.3 kb.

The above is identical after a drag-and-drop!

I'll now post this message - will you get two identical log files or nothing at all.........?
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Feb 27th, '20, 05:11

Hello MikeFinch ,

sorry that you are having trouble attaching the file.
if you agree, send me an email, see under my handle to the right.
I will reply, which will contain my real email address.
then attach the file to that and send it back to my real email address.
I will attach it to this thread.

long winded, I know, but it at least keeps private email addresses out of trolls and address harvesting eyes.

regards

Ben
benmc

Postby banjo » Feb 27th, '20, 05:34

I have a wireless HP Laserjet P1102w, and I have had similar problems getting it to work.

The problem is that it requires a plugin to get installed in order for it to work at all. If I install it using the MCC, it simply does not work. I don't know why. I have to open a command window and as root run hp-setup on the command line to get it to work. Here is the basic sequence.

Make sure the internet is live.
    Make sure the printer is on and connected to WiFi
    # hp-setup -i <ip address of the printer>
    Answer all the questions.
The -i switch causes hp-setup to run in “interactive” mode, which means purely
text based. If you run hp-setup as root using the -i switch, it might work.

If hp-setup throws an error about the keys, like this:

Code: Select all
Checking for network connection...
Downloading plug-in from:
Downloading plug-in: [\                                                                               ] 0%
Receiving digital keys: /usr/bin/gpg --homedir /root/.hplip/.gnupg --no-permission-warning --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x4ABA2F66DBD5A95894910E0673D770CDA59047B9

error: Unable to recieve key from keyserver
Do you still want to install the plug-in? (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ? y

go ahead and say “yes” to finish the installation.

I don't know if this is relevant to your printer or not, but you might give it a try to see if it helps. I would suggest that you uninstall the printer in the MCC and then install it using hp-setup as described above. It may or may not work for you.

Hope this helps.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 27th, '20, 18:12

MikeFinch wrote:file:///var/hp-check.log

I used ctrl-c and ctrl-v; presumably this isn't good enough? The file is only 15.3 kb.

The above is identical after a drag-and-drop!

No, in both cases you only copied the path to the file, as you can see. Also drag&drop won't work.
----
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 28th, '20, 06:48

Thankyou kind folks for trying to help. I have just printed out (in Windows 10!!) hp-check.log; my copy is six and one quarter pages long.

I could only move it to Windows by changing the ownership (chown) from root to michael, otherwise it was locked . Hence I will now try once again to attach it on the assumption that it was the ownership (root) that was preventing 'Add the File' from working.

If the send is successful maybe someone can extract some meaningful info out of the .log file. If not, then I will have to attempt some of the solutons that have been suggested.

OK : a thought : maybe I have to be in Full Editor for 'Add the File' to work? Just to be on the safe side I will send this post WITHOUT an attachment (because previously everything vanished). Then I will try sending the attachment, first using Submit (not Full Editor) and then again with Full Editor. It's many months since I submitted an attachment and I have a sneaky feeling I used the Full Editor on that occasion (but I'm half-guessing).
MikeFinch

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 28th, '20, 07:00

I have just hidden a stupidly composed Quick Reply because I just remembered I cannot send an attachment that way.

So ... will attempt to 'Send a File' now I have changed the .log file's ownership. I suppose it will work; if it doesn't I give up.

'Send a File' seems to have worked this time. Happy reading - it's pretty lengthy folks.
Attachments
hp-check.log
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
MikeFinch

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 28th, '20, 17:39

MikeFinch wrote:OK : a thought : maybe I have to be in Full Editor for 'Add the File' to work?

So you forgot my reply, which explained this earlier in the thread?
Also you mentioned the Add a file button already - which is only available via the full editor - and also explained in detail in my previous post.

Back on topic, from your the log:

hp-check[8821]: info: :[01mGeneric-CUPS-BRF-Printer[0m
hp-check[8821]: info: :[01m------------------------[0m
hp-check[8821]: info: :Type: Unknown
hp-check[8821]: info: Device URI: cups-brf:/
hp-check[8821]: info: PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer.ppd
hp-check[8821]: info: PPD Description: HP Officejet Pro 8020 Series, hpcups 3.19.5
hp-check[8821]: info: Printer status: printer Generic-CUPS-BRF-Printer is idle. enabled since Sun 23 Feb 2020 16:19:26 AEST
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

Did you do as suggested, remove the printer via MCC and then add it back, as also mentioned by banjo in the meantime ?
----
doktor5000

Postby banjo » Feb 28th, '20, 18:09

According to this page:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

the 8020 printer is not listed as requiring the plugin. However, the page says "As of February 2009", so your printer may require the plugin after all.

I also found that I had to supply the IP address of my printer to hp-setup or it did not find it. Something in the search was not being acknowledged by the printer or something. So specify the IP.

Also, does your printer have a fixed IP? If the IP is wandering around that will cause havoc as well.
banjo

Postby MikeFinch » Feb 29th, '20, 02:59

Yippee!! Now printing in linux, thanks to banjo's last email.

His suggestion of adding the (apparently fixed) IP address of the printer to hp-setup (and then going to MCC to setup the printer and fax) did the trick - permanently one hopes!

Thanks also to benmc for your input. And apologies to doktor5000 for my slight inattentiveness and to isadora for my temper tantrum.

We soldier on .....
MikeFinch

Postby banjo » Feb 29th, '20, 03:41

Don't forget to mark it "Solved" in the subject heading.
banjo

Return to Printers and Scanners