Conky Manager

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Conky Manager

Postby primesuspect » Jul 15th, '19, 00:07

Latest KDE x64 Mageia 7. Installed Conky Manager from Control Center but neither the default Conkys nor any of my own launch despite the indicator showing against the entries in Cony Manager. The basic Conky does launch from Konsole. Anyone else seeing this or can suggest a fix?
primesuspect

Re: Conky Manager

Postby Anglican » Jul 19th, '19, 09:21

This may be due to your .conkyrc being in the old format. It can be converted to the new with:

Code: Select all
/usr/share/doc/conky/convert.lua .conkyrc .conkyrc.new

Otherwise it may be something else in your .conkyrc, perhaps you could post that here?
Anglican

Re: Re: Conky Manager doesn't work.

Postby Linares » Dec 12th, '19, 23:56

A user has reported a bug in Mageia Bugzilla (https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25822), but there seems to be no solution to this problem either. :cry:
Linares

Postby Anglican » Dec 13th, '19, 11:12

The Conky-Manager GUI uses conky configuration files in the old format. It will kill any running conky then attempt to run conky using its own configuration files, by creating a file conky-startup.sh in the folder .conky. Basically, it appears to be a very out-of-date tool that would have worked with older versions of conky (<1.10) but wont work with the version that comes with Mageia 7 (1.11.3-2). To use the Conky-Manager themes with the newer version in Mageia 7 you could try converting the .conkyrc snippets it uses to the new format with the convert.lua script. They're all in the .conky directory installed when you install Conky-Manager, in sub-directories.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. If there's anything in the themes that you like (there are jpeg files as previews so you can see what they look like) you could just copy those lines into your ~/.conkyrc which is the file conky uses by default for its configuration. This file needs to be in the new format or you'll get errors and conky probably wont start.
Anglican

Postby Linares » Dec 13th, '19, 21:12

Anglican wrote:Personally, I wouldn't bother. If there's anything in the themes that you like (there are jpeg files as previews so you can see what they look like) you could just copy those lines into your ~/.conkyrc which is the file conky uses by default for its configuration. This file needs to be in the new format or you'll get errors and conky probably wont start.

I have done as you propose, but I still have problems.
I have downloaded the following conky theme files https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1326214/.
:!: I use KDE-Plasma, I don't know if that will be a problem.
bargraph.lua
conkyrc
conkyrc2
graph.lua
grid2.png
kk.sh
README.txt

I have saved those files in the folder /home/and/.conky/pru/

But when I type
$ conky

I receive this answer:
conky: desktop window (260000b) is subwindow of root window (1dd)
conky: window type - desktop
conky: drawing to created window (0x8400001)
conky: Unknown setting 'out_to_ncurses'

And only the initial ugly conky appears on my screen. :cry:
Last edited by isadora on Dec 13th, '19, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
Linares

Postby Anglican » Dec 16th, '19, 10:43

As I've already said, conky uses the configuration file ~/.conkyrc (i.e. the .conkyrc file in your home directory) by default. Assuming you have correctly converted the files conkyrc and conkyrc2 then you should be able to run:

Either:

conky -c conkyrc

or

conky -c conkyrc2

from your home directory and it should show a conky window. If you choose the former, you will get some error messages if you don't have inxi (package inxi) or nvidia-settings (from nvidia proprietary driver) installed. You may also get errors about missing sensors since the file conkyrc expects particular hardware and needs editing to match the hardware you actually have. The second option is just lua code to show a bar indicating cpu load. The error you are seeing:

Suggests that you have an existing ~/.conkyrc file that contains the line:

out_to_ncurses true

You should comment out that line if you want to use that configuration (and convert that file with the convert.lua script). Correct options for kde (I'm using xfce) should only require changes to some of the "own_window*" variables. I can't help with suitable options for these, you'll find documention at http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html.
Anglican

Postby Linares » Dec 16th, '19, 20:28

Hello.

I have already get to convert the conkyrc and conkyrc2 files. I have both in /home/and/.conky. Neither of them contains the line "out_to_ncurses true", but the same error still appears:
conky: drawing to created window (0x6e00001)

and, when I use "conky" at bash, the initial black and square conky still appears.

It's demoralizing. On a very old computer, which I have for testing, I have Ubuntu 18.04 and I have installed Conky without problems. Why?
Last edited by isadora on Dec 16th, '19, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed quote; as a golden rule quoting the last comment is not appropriate.
Linares

Postby isadora » Dec 16th, '19, 20:58

Please place command-output between [CODE]-tags, to improve readability, thanks ahead!!! ;)
Demo: ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandriva/m ... e_tags.ogv
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Anglican » Dec 17th, '19, 10:11

Linares wrote:Hello.

I have already get to convert the conkyrc and conkyrc2 files. I have both in /home/and/.conky. Neither of them contains the line "out_to_ncurses true", but the same error still appears:
conky: drawing to created window (0x6e00001)

and, when I use "conky" at bash, the initial black and square conky still appears.

It's demoralizing. On a very old computer, which I have for testing, I have Ubuntu 18.04 and I have installed Conky without problems. Why?

No, I believe you have a file ~/.conkyrc (note the "." at the beginning of the filename) and that does contain "out_to_ncurses". Unless you tell it otherwise, with the "-c" option, that is the file that conky will use. You need to run:

conky -c .conky/conkyrc

to get it to use the file you have unpacked in that directory, otherwise it will always use ~/.conkyrc - the file ".conkyrc" in your home directory. You mention using Ubuntu 18.04. It is possible that on a different OS the default conky configuration file is called something else... I'm only talking about the conky package for Mageia 7.
Anglican

Re: Re: Conky Manager

Postby Linares » Dec 21st, '19, 18:36

Thanks to all these aids and directions, my Conky has evolved a lot in a positive way. I have finished uninstalling Conky-Manager, because it is more practical to modify other previously made Conky.

Currently mine is shown with this aspect.

As you can see, there is an error in the Nvidia area. What could be the reason, and how to fix?

The code is the following:

${font Roboto:size=10}N V I D I A   ${hr 2}${font}
${font Roboto:size=10,weight:bold}${color5}${execp  nvidia-smi --query-supported-clocks=gpu_name --format=csv,noheader}${font}
${font StyleBats:size=20}u${font}${offset 8}${voffset -12}GPU Temp ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-smi --query-gpu=temperature.gpu --format=csv,noheader} °C
${offset 30}Fan Speed ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed -t} %
${offset 30}GPU Clock ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q GPUCurrentClockFreqs | grep -m 1 Attribute | awk '{print $4}' | sed -e 's/\.//' | cut -d, -f1} MHz
${offset 30}Mem Clock ${alignr}${execi 86400 nvidia-settings -q all| grep -m 1 GPUCurrentProcessorClockFreqs | awk '{print $4}' | sed 's/.$//'} MHz
${offset 30}Mem Used ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/UsedDedicatedGPUMemory -t} / ${exec nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/TotalDedicatedGPUMemory -t} MiB0
Linares

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 22nd, '19, 15:38

Linares wrote:${font Roboto:size=10,weight:bold}${color5}${execp nvidia-smi --query-supported-clocks=gpu_name --format=csv,noheader}${font}
${font StyleBats:size=20}u${font}${offset 8}${voffset -12}GPU Temp ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-smi --query-gpu=temperature.gpu --format=csv,noheader} °C
${offset 30}Fan Speed ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed -t} %
${offset 30}GPU Clock ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q GPUCurrentClockFreqs | grep -m 1 Attribute | awk '{print $4}' | sed -e 's/\.//' | cut -d, -f1} MHz
${offset 30}Mem Clock ${alignr}${execi 86400 nvidia-settings -q all| grep -m 1 GPUCurrentProcessorClockFreqs | awk '{print $4}' | sed 's/.$//'} MHz
${offset 30}Mem Used ${alignr}${execi 60 nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/UsedDedicatedGPUMemory -t} / ${exec nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/TotalDedicatedGPUMemory -t} MiB0

What output do you get when you run the commands in bold in a terminal ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Linares » Dec 22nd, '19, 23:31

doktor5000 wrote:
Linares wrote:${font Roboto:size=10,weight:bold}${color5}${execp nvidia-smi --query-supported-clocks=gpu_name --format=csv,noheader}${font}

What output do you get when you run the commands in bold in a terminal ?

I get this output:

$ nvidia-smi --query-supported-clocks=gpu_name --format=csv,noheader
NVIDIA-SMI couldn't find libnvidia-ml.so library in your system. Please make sure that the NVIDIA Display Driver is properly installed and present in your system.
Please also try adding directory that contains libnvidia-ml.so to your system PATH.

But the Nvidia drivers are installed because, when I run the Nvidia Display Settings application, it opens correctly:

nvidia-smi --query-gpu=temperature.gpu --format=csv,noheader offers the same result.
Linares

Postby Anglican » Dec 23rd, '19, 12:15

I believe to get nvidia-smi working you also need to install nvidia-current-cuda-opencl or nvidia-current-devel which provide libnvidia-ml.so.
Anglican

Postby Linares » Dec 23rd, '19, 14:19

Anglican wrote:I believe to get nvidia-smi working you also need to install nvidia-current-cuda-opencl or nvidia-current-devel which provide libnvidia-ml.so.

Installing only the first one you say (nvidia-current-cuda-opencl-430.64-1.mga7.nonfree.x86_64) the Conky applet has already worked. Thank you.

Only one data remains that is not shown (mem clock) and I will have to find out why.
Linares

Return to Basic support