Solved: Bootup

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Solved: Bootup

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 13th, '19, 19:36

I've searched and searched using search engine and also here on the forum. I have a question on booting up and how to fix the issue I'm having.
At the moment I'm booting up dual with Megia7 and Debian10(planning on adding a couple more eventually). The issue is that when I have Mageia as default boot I don't get a grub screen showing a choice between the two OS's. If I have Debian as default boot I will get a screen when booting to show the choices between Debian and Mageia. I increased the Grub time out from 10 to 25 thinking that maybe it was going too fast for me to see and catch the choices and then set Mageia as boot. But still not showing a choice between Mageia and Debian. As I mentioned, I tried searching online and even tried going into the information here in forum and on Mageia. Just haven't seen anything on how to go about fixing to where I'm able to see any choices.

Thanks

Tom
Last edited by Crewdawg on Aug 24th, '19, 04:20, edited 2 times in total.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Re: Bootup

Postby benmc » Aug 13th, '19, 21:22

how are you choosing between booting Mageia and Debian?

which system did you install first?
are you using multiple HDD with installed systems on each or a single HDD with multiple partitions?
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 01:39

benmc wrote:how are you choosing between booting Mageia and Debian?

which system did you install first?
are you using multiple HDD with installed systems on each or a single HDD with multiple partitions?

Sorry. Was in a hurry to post that before heading out to an appointment. I'm running a single HDD with multiple OS's installed. Debian Sid is the first install. I now have Mageia installed as well. Both sharing same /home. Was running Debian as first choice and then Mageia as second. Then I came over and did the change in MCC to put Mageia as first choice and adding the increase in time out for grub. But now I can't see Debian to be able to boot to it as well. Just Mageia comes up. Had searched the forum looking for previous posts to see what had been done before but didn't see anything and the search online was nil in being any help at all in this.

Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '19, 02:02

OK,

meant to ask, grub (legacy) or grub2

From a root terminal, please post the output of:

Code: Select all
os-prober

update-grub
or
update-grub2

(whichever grub you have)
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 03:00

benmc wrote:OK,

meant to ask, grub (legacy) or grub2

From a root terminal, please post the output of:

os-prober

update-grub
or
update-grub2

(whichever grub you have)

grub2

[toker1@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost toker1]# su -
[root@localhost ~]# os-prober
Aug 13 17:55:37 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded
  /dev/sdb: open failed: No medium found
  /dev/sdc: open failed: No medium found
  /dev/sdd: open failed: No medium found
  /dev/sde: open failed: No medium found
/dev/sda5:Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid:Debian:linux
[root@localhost ~]#

[root@localhost ~]# update-grub2
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/maggy/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-desktop
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-desktop.img
Aug 13 17:59:10 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded
Found Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid on /dev/sda5
done
[root@localhost ~]#

Sorry for late reply, I was still looking trying to figure this thing out.

Tom
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 14th, '19, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '19, 03:22

The good news is that grub2 is definitely listing both Mageia and Debian (sda5).

if, upon reboot, grub boot menu is not displaying both Mageia and Debian, it likely means you are still booting into Debians bootloader for some reason.

to change this, grab your install medium (DVD or USB), reboot to it and choose "Rescue".

in the Rescue menu, choose re-install bootloader.
after re-installation of the bootloader, a reboot should display Mageia boot splash screen with Mageia boot menu, including Debian at the bottom.

I did exactly this last night, as I have a dual boot system and I really did not like the grub boot menu provided by the second installed (Ubuntu derivative) system
benmc

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '19, 03:30

Crewdawg wrote:Aug 13 17:55:37 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded

if you want to clean this bit up do the following in a root terminal (as I did yesterday)

systemctl enable multipathd.service

and
systemctl start multipathd.service
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 04:57

benmc wrote:The good news is that grub2 is definitely listing both Mageia and Debian (sda5).

if, upon reboot, grub boot menu is not displaying both Mageia and Debian, it likely means you are still booting into Debians bootloader for some reason.

to change this, grab your install medium (DVD or USB), reboot to it and choose "Rescue".

in the Rescue menu, choose re-install bootloader.
after re-installation of the bootloader, a reboot should display Mageia boot splash screen with Mageia boot menu, including Debian at the bottom.

I did exactly this last night, as I have a dual boot system and I really did not like the grub boot menu provided by the second installed (Ubuntu derivative) system

Tried the live usb that I have of Mageia7. That plymonth screen stuff scrambles everything and I don't even get to see a 'Rescue' choice at all. Boots after a bit straight to the live Megia screen. I don't even get to see a 'Rescue' here on the install when booting up. I'll only see that when Debian is the first choice. I'll see both Mageia and Mageia Rescue choice when booting to Debian.

So I went back into the MCC and changed the boot time back to 10 since it didn't make any differences at all.
Are there any of the GRUB config files in the FIle system that I could change to make any differences here or no? Or am I stuck for time being of going back into the MCC and making Debian as the Default choice and then clicking on Mageia from there.

Doubt that clicking on the Mageia Rescue there would do any good for trying to reinstall the bootloader there would it?
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 04:59

benmc wrote:

if you want to clean this bit up do the following in a root terminal (as I did yesterday)

systemctl enable multipathd.service

and
systemctl start multipathd.service

Did those two commands and got that part completed anyway. Just need to find a way to straighten this out somehow. Plus being able to see the 'Rescue' even on boot as well. Ouch.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '19, 05:14

Live media does not have "rescue" option.

net-install media and traditional / classical installer do.
net-installer (70Mb) can be used if you have a wired connection but not easily if you have only wifi.

not sure if you would want to download entire +4GB Classical installer just to fix your boot menu!

the rescue - re-install bootloader option requires either a local classical.iso (either on usb or hdd) or access to an online mirror.
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 05:31

Thought it would be like that. Nah. I'll find a work around somehow. Reason I was asking about those settings of the various grub settings in the /etc and other areas of the file system is because I got to wondering about those settings and if changing any of those settings would do any good. Didn't see anything in boot menu that I can remember at the moment.

On the laptop now and don't have Mageia installed on it right now. Was playing with Mageia on it a couple years ago but had some issues that time. Going to try again and if it works this time I'll install it here as well. Granted the pc is an old gal but she's still running strong and Mageia does work well on her except for some oddball issues I'm having at the moment.

It's just that I get 'hard headed' on things at times and some how always manage to get something to work no matter if it's something I had screwed up or if it's something going on with the system itself. I had some tell me to reinstall Debian a few times but I muddled through it and got to working. That's why you'll see some oddball questions at times. Because I'm mulling things in my mind while researching and asking at same time.

Even not seeing the Mageia Rescue on the installs bootup is causing me to wonder what's going on with it as well.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '19, 06:43

just reading your sig....

I run Mageia on:
Compaq c700 (circa 2008 _ all DE install)
Acer chromebook C710
Acer B113
Acer Chromebook C730
Compaq Hp 8510p workstation
Toshiba Portege R930
Hp 4520s probook
MSI AMD Athlon XP2400+ desktop
Linx-7 tablet

also a Asus laptop and Asus desktop (but as I am at work, I cant remember these model #s)
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 06:50

Have a lot of good ones too. That pc is the old MS Windows XP Media Player 2005. So probably got it around late that year or early 2006. All I have done was clean it, added 2 more of the 1g memory cards giving me a total of four gbs of ram now. Plus replace that old crt monitor as well that I was using with it. Good machine. Still running.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 14th, '19, 09:29

benmc wrote:

Why do you think this needs to be "cleaned up" ? It's just an informational message. If you are not using multipath I/O then why run an additional service ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 14th, '19, 16:53

Got to thinking on that and put back to way it was. I've seen worse in some of the others I've used in their terminals. Especially when upgrading from stable to testing or Sid in Debian and not commenting out the security line in the sources.list. Very long terminal results when doing upgrades until you go and comment those lines out.

Still trying to figure out as to why though that I'm not getting a choice between Mageia and Debian when booting up. And as I mentioned above I'm not seeing the Mageia Rescue choice either when booting.

Are there any of the Grub settings in the different file sections that I would be able to change to get this to show? As I mentioned I had changed the boot time from 10 to 25 and then back to 10 after noticing that there wasn't any difference in doing the changes in the boot up for the grub time out using the MCC.

Thanks

Tom
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 15th, '19, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '19, 07:31

Please post the content of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it's probably also a good idea to take a screenshot with your phone or something like that what the bootloader looks like that you see before you boot Mageia.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Aug 15th, '19, 10:04

(assuming legacy bios, not UEFI)
try this from a root terminal
# grub2-install /dev/sda

should re-install Mageia bootloader and grub background.
# update-grub2

tried it on my old C700 which is dual booting a ubuntu derivative.
changed to the grub bootloader for that system.
then booted into Mageia, ran the above and changed back to Mageia bootloader
benmc

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 15th, '19, 22:43

doktor5000 wrote:Please post the content of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it's probably also a good idea to take a screenshot with your phone or something like that what the bootloader looks like that you see before you boot Mageia.

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub2-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set pager=1

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="${saved_entry}"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos7'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos7 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos7 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos7  8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=1024x768x32
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos7'
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos7 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos7 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos7  8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d
else
fi
insmod gfxmenu
loadfont ($root)/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/MageiaLogo-Bold-16.pf2
loadfont ($root)/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/MageiaLogo-Bold-20.pf2
loadfont ($root)/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/MageiaLogo-Bold-28.pf2
loadfont ($root)/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/MageiaLogo-Regular-20.pf2
insmod png
set theme=($root)/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/theme.txt
export theme
if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
  set timeout_style=menu
  set timeout=10
# Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
# unavailable.
else
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/01_users ###
if [ -f ${prefix}/user.cfg ]; then
  source ${prefix}/user.cfg
  if [ -n "${GRUB2_PASSWORD}" ]; then
    set superusers="root"
    export superusers
    password_pbkdf2 root ${GRUB2_PASSWORD}
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/01_users ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Mageia' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
   set gfxpayload=text
   insmod gzio
   insmod part_msdos
   insmod ext2
   set root='hd0,msdos7'
   else
   fi
   linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7.img
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Mageia' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7) 7' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7) 7 (recovery mode)' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7-recovery-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro failsafe
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7) 7' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7) 7 (recovery mode)' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7-recovery-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro failsafe
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7) 7' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7) 7 (recovery mode)' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7-recovery-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro failsafe
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7) 7' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7) 7 (recovery mode)' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7-recovery-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro failsafe
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (desktop) 7' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-desktop-advanced-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
   savedefault
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-desktop root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro  splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=37d7a64b-6aea-42a6-855e-776a5bd9887d audit=0 vga=788
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-desktop.img
   }
   menuentry 'Mageia (desktop) 7 (recovery mode)' --class mageia --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-desktop-recovery-8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d' {
      set gfxpayload=text
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos7'
      else
      fi
      linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-desktop root=UUID=8f270305-e5e1-4e85-a3d0-5e670728995d ro failsafe
      initrd16 /boot/initrd-desktop.img
   }
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_ppc_terminfo ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_ppc_terminfo ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (on /dev/sda5)' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
   savedefault
   insmod part_msdos
   insmod ext2
   set root='hd0,msdos5'
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c
   else
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c
   fi
   linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro quiet
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.2.0-2-686-pae
}
submenu 'Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (on /dev/sda5)' $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-advanced-e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae--e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c
      else
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 16th, '19, 14:58, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;) merged with other posts
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 15th, '19, 22:48

fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro quiet
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.2.0-2-686-pae (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae--e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.2.0-2-686-pae (sysvinit) (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae--e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro quiet init=/lib/sysvinit/init
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.2.0-2-686-pae (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae-root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro single-e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-2-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro single
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-5-686-pae (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae--e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro quiet
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-5-686-pae
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-5-686-pae (sysvinit) (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae--e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro quiet init=/lib/sysvinit/init
   }
   menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-5-686-pae (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda5)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae-root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro single-e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c' {
      savedefault
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos5'
      else
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686-pae root=UUID=e3cad11e-dd1b-41ef-a8e3-e36e7021977c ro single
   }
}

### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
Last edited by isadora on Aug 16th, '19, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 15th, '19, 22:57

Here's the shot from cellphone. Don't know how much will help but always glad to oblige.
That was one hell of a file to copy/paste before. Any others that you need, just let me know and I'll post them as fast as possible.

Thanks

Tom
Attachments
20190815_132846.jpg
20190815_132846.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3407 times
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby isadora » Aug 16th, '19, 07:37

Please Crewdawg; next time publish these "walls of code" into an attachment to your message.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 16th, '19, 15:00

Well, the screenshot doesn't show your bootloader, so that doesn't help.

And you bootloader configuration clearly contains the entries for Debian, so I don't know why they're not showing up.
----
doktor5000

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 17th, '19, 01:27

isadora wrote:Please Crewdawg; next time publish these "walls of code" into an attachment to your message.

Sorry Isador. Has been a very long while since I've posted an issue in a forum and keep forgetting to used code marks. I'll try my best to properly follow the protocol in posting codes and configs. I had thought about using codes on the configs but then thought maybe didn't go with that and decided on copy/paste instead. In future will do best to remember to code. Especially when in doubt.

Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 17th, '19, 01:37

doktor5000 wrote:Well, the screenshot doesn't show your bootloader, so that doesn't help.

And you bootloader configuration clearly contains the entries for Debian, so I don't know why they're not showing up.

doktor5000, now you see why I'm at a loss on this. Is there some other File/Directory that would contain code pertaining to the grub that maybe could be adjusted or changed around so that it would pull up and show maybe? At the moment I'm only able to see these when using Debian as the main choice and then choosing Mageia when I want to come here. I'm going to be installing a new Debian in place of what I have now. Going from the 32bit to the 64bit of it instead. Also until this old gal gives up her ghost I'll be doing 64bit on all install that I put on her. So hopefully then by leaving Debian as the first choice for booting up I'll be able to see all of them. Just that it bugs the heck out of me as to why it's not showing like it should. And I never just do the old standard that Ubuntu and some others advise on the just remove and reinstall. I guess could say I'm hard-headed and when I see something that's not working like it should I want to get to the bottom of it and make that sucker work. I mean could leave well enough alone but it's now bugging and making me wonder the old 'why isn't it' bit. So as you can see kinda grasping at straws as to if there's another config setting for grub that maybe could be adjusted and pull this through or not. Since I'm new on Mageia and after my researching and finding nothing figured best thing to do is ask the experts here on the gal itself.

Thanks

Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 18th, '19, 03:08

@benmc

quote="benmc"](assuming legacy bios, not UEFI)
try this from a root terminal
# grub2-install /dev/sda

should re-install Mageia bootloader and grub background.
# update-grub2

tried it on my old C700 which is dual booting a ubuntu derivative.
changed to the grub bootloader for that system.
then booted into Mageia, ran the above and changed back to Mageia bootloader[/quote]

[root@localhost toker1]# grub2-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

[root@localhost toker1]# update-grub2
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/maggy/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.2.7-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.20-desktop-2.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.18-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-desktop
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-desktop.img
Aug 17 18:06:50 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded
Found Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid on /dev/sda5
done
[root@localhost toker1]#

Did this. As yoiu can see nothing went wrong according to the terminal on the installing to and updating to this /dev/sda. But upon rebooting it went straight to my Debian Sid install w/o even showing the boot menu there. So had to make that as the main choice to be able to see it's bootup menu so I could get back to here. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but think that there's something screwy with one of the configs here on my system for the grub. Wonder if I went looking through every directory in the f'File' section finding all that has to do with grub if there would be something noticeable that's not quite right in it's setting causing these issues that I'm having with seeing a bootup menu here when booting up to Mageia.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Next

Return to Basic support