[DONE] Mageia-7 KDE plasma how to unlock the screen?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[DONE] Mageia-7 KDE plasma how to unlock the screen?

Postby cerezha » Jul 26th, '19, 05:08

Re: I solved my problem, see below.

Hello,
Simple thing: how I can control the locking screen? On my fresh Mageia-7 install, the screen is locking in few minutes of inactivity, 2 min may be. I need to enter my username and password every time to unlock the screen. Very annoying! It is fresh install Mageia-7 plasma with all default parameters. I just upgrade the system via Control Center. I spent already several days looking for solution, no luck at all. It seems to me that "7" is less responsive than "4", which I had before. So, in general - I am not impressed with "7".
Last edited by cerezha on Aug 16th, '19, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
cerezha

Re: Mageia-7 KDE plasma how to unlock the screen?

Postby jkerr82508 » Jul 26th, '19, 08:05

Use System Settings - Desktop Behaviour - Screen Locking

You can increase the time delay or even disable screen locking completely

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby cerezha » Jul 30th, '19, 06:30

There is no such thing as "desctop behavior " in my copy Mageia7. When I right-click on desktop, I see option to change font and wallpaper. System has no reference to "screen" "desctop behavior " etc. It is just reddiculous that such simple thing is hidden and not readily available. Sergey
cerezha

Postby isadora » Jul 30th, '19, 07:55

You can find "Sytem Settings" clicking application-button at far left bottom of your screen, the one with the Mageia-logo.
There click "Tools" and then "System Settings".
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 30th, '19, 17:53

systemsettings by default should also be located on the taskbar, right next to dolphin and the Mageia control center.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby cerezha » Aug 1st, '19, 06:49

Well
I checked all suggested places - there is no screen-lock control in any suggested location. This is fresh install of Mageia-7 with plasma. The only thing I did is update the system via Mageia Control Center. This is bad news, but I have good news to community: if you type "screen lock" in the search window of "Application Window" - magic happened! There is a new window pops up called "Screen-locking - System Settings Module" where you can change screen lock settings. So, I do find a solution on my own. Unfortunately, I wasted a week looking for solution and help. I did not receive any meaningful help (winch does not indicate that I am an idiot). I do not think it is practical to me to keep Mageia if "help" is such quality. I saw hundreds posts on i-net with exact the same problem - disabling lock-screen in Mageia-7. I think, Debian with massive community body to help would be better solution for my needs. :|
cerezha

Postby isadora » Aug 1st, '19, 12:19

Okee, enjoy freedom.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby morgano » Aug 7th, '19, 12:29

cerezha wrote:there is no screen-lock control in any suggested location.

The suggested location given to you three hours after your post,
viewed on Mageia 6 in swedish as that is the system I am logged into this forum on now:
Plasma screen lock settings mga6.png
Plasma screen lock settings mga6.png (57.98 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

I see that same on my laptop with on Mageia 7, but default the icons are different.
The menu is double column only when window is wide.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby cerezha » Aug 9th, '19, 00:15

Respectfully disagree - I do not see such menu as above in indicated place. I wish I can do a screenshot to verify my statement, but I am using Win comp for communication. The reason, I am using Mageia is a legacy of Mandrake (yes, Mandrake was my second Linux OS, first was Debian) - logical and clean interface suitable to non-fanatical Linux user like myself. Until Mageia-4 everything was more or less fine, but something was happened after Mageia-4. Mageia-7 feels differently (uncomfortable) to me. Essentially, the interface is new to me, so I need to learn again. It is slow, default settings are not good for me. I hate default icons, they are low contrast and difficult to recognize. I cannot install lib63jpeg62 library because I need to provide medium called "Core Release".... so disappointing... I am glad that Mageia-7 serves other people, not me, unfortunately.
cerezha

Postby ITA84 » Aug 9th, '19, 09:20

If you're still willing to try and fix your screenlocker issue, could you please check if the 'kscreenlocker' package is installed on your system? If it is, please post the terminal output of the command

Code: Select all
kcmshell5 screenlocker

EDIT: on the other hand, from your other post it seems the screenlocker is actually installed, but doesn't appear in the System Settings for some reason; maybe if you run the 'systemsettings5' command from a terminal the output could have some clues as to what's wrong.

Defaults aside, it sounds like something went wrong with your installation to have so many issues; again, if you want to solve them you should ask for help for each issue separately. Just saying that nothing works or that everything was better in Mageia 4 without giving any details won't solve your problems faster, on the contrary, it might make people less likely to try and fix things for you (and that's true of pretty much all free and community-driven distributions)
ITA84

Postby cerezha » Aug 15th, '19, 23:55

Dear ITA84
As I already stated in my previous message, I have already solved my issue - if I type in "search" window the words "lock screen" - I get new window with screen-lock controls (see my post above). I already reported to the community about solution - enjoy it! I do not need to do your suggested tests because they are irrelevant to the problem. THE problem is that nobody on this forum knows exactly what is in default system settings in Mandia-7. I got some suggestions and all wereuseless. For reasons, mentioned above in my posts, I am not happy with Mandria-7.
cerezha

Postby isadora » Aug 16th, '19, 07:31

Would you please mark this topic [SOLVED]?
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead. :)

isadora

Postby ITA84 » Aug 16th, '19, 08:07

I thought you might've wanted to find out why the screen locker settings don't show up in System Settings (since that's what happens in the default Mageia installation), but if you're okay with your workaround then I guess it's [SOLVED] for you
ITA84

Postby cerezha » Aug 16th, '19, 08:35

With all my respect to this forum, I do not feel that the forum has solved my problem. It is not "solved" yet.
cerezha

Postby isadora » Aug 16th, '19, 08:54

cerezha wrote:.......I have already solved my issue........

:?: :?: :?:

isadora

Postby ITA84 » Aug 16th, '19, 10:22

If you really don't want to mark this as [SOLVED], you could at least mark it as [DONE]: this way other users won't bother trying to help you anymore
ITA84

Re: [DONE] Mageia-7 KDE plasma how to unlock the screen?

Postby cerezha » Aug 16th, '19, 20:59

Good idea!
cerezha

Return to Basic support