mga7 install problems [Resolved]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

mga7 install problems [Resolved]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 11th, '19, 22:57

Seeing the issue of Mageia7 I though to upgrade from Mga6. There were a few hiccups on the upgrade. principally niggles like the details option on the install did not respond, leaving the usual mga promo pictures. It did, finally change to show what was in fact installing. However, towards the end of the install, a new window came up to advise me that a great many of the installs had failed, but left an option to continue. I opted for that and the install came to an end. There was a problem with wifi install failing, which, for the moment I could live with. A reboot, and all seemed well, but the multiplicity of fail indications was not something I could ignore. I decided to start again, but with a full install. It went, more or less the same way, ending up with an indication of multiple install fails. Far too many to list, about a couple of screenfulls of small print. This time there was not an option to continue, but dumped me back at the start, with the options of selecting what to install. I gave up at this point, once more pondering my ignoring the main motto of the computer admin, "Do not be the first to try and the last to leave". Fortunately I did remember to install in a little used machine, where catastrophe is not too serious. But it has left me with a non working machine, until I can re-install Mga6, and get back to the very few Windows applications that I still need to use.
Last edited by rodgoslin on Jul 12th, '19, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
rodgoslin

Re: mga7 install problems

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '19, 02:38

Hi

sorry to hear you have problems.

install medium - USB or optical disk?

you could try a net install via USB and your system HDD.
load the downloaded Mga7 .iso, that you wrote to your install medium, onto your HDD somewhere.
boot the net install medium and point the installer to the location of your real install downloaded .iso.

(Gets things like fingerprints on DVD and failing USB & connectors out of the equation)
benmc

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 12th, '19, 04:26

Sorry. Install from DVD, newly minted!. The update from mg6 went. Not well but it went, as above. A clean install did not go. re-installing Mga6, as of now. Fuming only slightly. I've always gone the DVD way, from way back with few problems.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 12th, '19, 05:10

More problems. I think this one requires a new thread though. Quickly, Mga6 booted ok after install. On updating the software, (a lot of software!) all went well until a new screen appeared requiring that I enter "loginctl unlock-sessions" A reboot after that and the boot hangs at a command "40434431 xt_addrtype: ipv6 does not support BROADCAST matching" and simply hangs there. I'm at a bit of a loss here. Should I open a new thread on this?
rodgoslin

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '19, 06:14

rodgoslin wrote:Should I open a new thread on this?

Hmm?

ok, what is happening.
there has been, as you have discovered, a massive update to Mageia6 since release : https://blog.mageia.org/en/2018/05/05/t ... -6-update/ (and related).

If you have the patience (and hair), please re-install Mga6.
disable the screen saver- this will prevent that "loginctl unlock-sessions" message.
then do your update of Mga6.
lets know how it goes.

then we tackle the upgrade to MGA7
benmc

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 12th, '19, 07:21

Lol. Been there, done that. My present difficulty is as a result of doing a fresh install, formatting both / and /home, so all is clean.The boot stops at the ipv6 message. I just tried a re-install update, which had the benefit of being quick, but the stoppage is the same. The leading number (between square brackets) seems to be just that, possibly a progress counter (?) So, without fully booting I can't upgrade the software. Or do anything at all.
rodgoslin

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '19, 08:16

ok,

Didnt realise the M6 install process is ok, just reboot.
can you try a recovery boot, under advanced boot option in the grub boot menu?

will give a scrolling text and will give (hopefully) some clues as to what is going on.

on my Mga6, the shorewall IPv6 firewall occurs just before the session greeter.
at this point you should be able to login to a tty (ctrl+alt+F2,3,4 etc)

if you can, login as root and run
Code: Select all
drakx11

use keyboard navigation and choose a free graphics driver and save and reboot
benmc

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 12th, '19, 09:20

Sorry, I've given up on this sorry upgrade. I started again on an Mga7 install, again all clean. A total failure. When the install came to an end, I had a message "An error occurred" followed by "Unable to install package". And that followed by about 600 lines of rpm's which it had failed to install. And that followed by another 100 or so which failed because it needed something that had failed to install. I shall go back, I think to Mga5, which to my mind is the last issue that really works. Mga6 I only had on the test machine, my main machine is still running Mga5. It could be the machine,, a Lenovo Thinkpad T420, but Windows 7 is quite happy on it, even if I'm not. It's only there since a data logger I use only runs on Windows. Thanks for the help.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 12th, '19, 14:22

The problem is resolved! It would appear that the DVD drive has decided to die on me. Not totally, but enough to wreck the install. I dug out an external DVD player and installed from that and all is well. I'm afraid that I'm not exactly overwhelmed by mga7. It seems to have all the things I disliked on Mga6, and a few more besides. I've always, from the word go, disliked double clicking on the mouse. And this goes back some 25 years or so. Now, I find, the option to single click has disappeared from the mouse options. So, back to Mga5, pronto.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 14th, '19, 03:12

rodgoslin wrote:The problem is resolved! It would appear that the DVD drive has decided to die on me. Not totally, but enough to wreck the install. I dug out an external DVD player and installed from that and all is well.

Why not use an USB stick instead of wasting DVDs ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: mga7 install problems [Resolved]

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 14th, '19, 03:23

Largely since DVD's are cheap, and not easy to lose, and USB's are neither.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 16th, '19, 22:38

That's a moot point. Well, let's say a quality DVD is 1$ and an 8GB USB stick is around 5$ give or take. DVD can be used one time and it's subject to aging. USB stick can be reused as you like.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 17th, '19, 02:37

I think you should shop around, doktor. Amazon will sell me a quality dvd (Verbatim) for £0.21, while a quality USB stick (Toshiba) will cost me £5.50 A mere 2500% . difference. USB drives are far too easily lost , cannot be labelled, are easily physically damaged, erased, altered and copied over. Dvd's are simple, have ample space for labeling, are very visible, easily protected, post-able at letter rates (UK), cannot be erased, altered, are easy to store in very little space, in an orderly fashion. And when no longer required do make very good mats for coffee cups. I'm fairly sure that if I ever wanted to, I could dig out my old Mandrake 7 dvd disc and install from it.
rodgoslin

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 17th, '19, 02:41

New technology is new technology. It is not always, inter alia better technology.
rodgoslin

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '19, 00:40

And DVDs due to their one-time use also require quite a lot of ressources and then they turn to special waste.
And if you argue that an USB drive can be easily physically damaged, what about scratches on DVDs - sorry that comparison doesn't make sense.
FWIW, I've never lost or damaged an USB stick, and simply due to their write/read speeds I've never used a DVD again.
But sure, to each his own.
----
doktor5000

Postby rodgoslin » Jul 18th, '19, 07:29

Lol. I did a quick weigh and a DVD weighs 17G and a USB drive 13G, and mostly plastic. A big difference there. All my unwanted DVD's go on the fire, where they help to warm the house, and re-cycle the constituents into life giving CO2 and water. You can't get more environmentally friendly than that. I've lost no end of USB drives, just lost, or passed to friends as file transfers, and never returned. I've had a few that just stopped working. But as you say, each to his own.
rodgoslin

Return to Basic support