[SOLVED] Upgrade still broken in Mageia 7 RC

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[SOLVED] Upgrade still broken in Mageia 7 RC

Postby griffin2 » Jun 11th, '19, 13:33

Upgrading to new releases of Mageia has never worked for me. The installer always says that upgrade won't work on my system, without providing any reason, such as not enough free space or the presence of unsupported software packages.
However, in the past I have proceeded to attempt upgrades anyway, although I don't recall if those were ever successful. If not, I would proceed to perform a fresh install. I have the iso files on my system going all the way back to Mageia 3.
I tried to perform an upgrade again with the Mageia 7 RC installer, but immediately encountered an error. The installer mounted disk partitions then displayed the message: "An error occurred. Can't call method "val" on an undefined value."
I'm still hoping to be able to perform an upgrade to Mageia 7.
Last edited by griffin2 on Jun 13th, '19, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
griffin2

Re: Upgrade still broken in Mageia 7 RC

Postby martinw » Jun 11th, '19, 20:34

Please try again, and when the error occurs, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 which will switch to a console. Insert a formatted USB stick into a spare USB slot, then enter
Code: Select all
bug

at the command prompt. This should write a file named "report.bug" to the USB stick. Open a bug report describing the problem, and attach that file (compressed with 'xz' if necessary).
martinw

Postby griffin2 » Jun 11th, '19, 23:44

Last edited by griffin2 on Jun 12th, '19, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
griffin2

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 12th, '19, 08:15

Please always provide the link, as that allows others to look it up in case they have a similar issue.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby griffin2 » Jun 12th, '19, 09:24

Link to bug report added above.
griffin2

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade still broken in Mageia 7 RC

Postby griffin2 » Jun 13th, '19, 14:20

The problem was due to a bad iso DVD disc.
griffin2

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade still broken in Mageia 7 RC

Postby martinw » Jun 13th, '19, 20:19

I looked into why the installer claims your system cannot be safely upgraded. The commit message for when this check was added is
warn the user and propose to install/quit-install before upgrading from a partition where "/" is ext3 with block-size 1KB to avoid kernel bug (#37583)

As this check was added in 2008, it seems likely that the kernel bug has since been fixed,
martinw

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron