Hope to make Mageia a home

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Hope to make Mageia a home

Postby JMiahMan » Jul 13th, '17, 17:50

Hello my name is Jeremiah. I am a Sr. Linux Engineer and have been working on some form of a Linux distro for quite some time. Though I wouldn't consider myself a pro in any of them. In the last few years though I haven't done any type of real community support or work and before that I spent some time on a MUSL-libc based toolchain (that used rpm4 and OpenRC) which saw no real interest in anyone but me. So my community involvement has been to a minimal, which is terrible. Since then stuff like systemd has been widely adopted and I can't say things have gotten easier for an old curmudgeon like myself, however I have found I am a lot happier overall when I find something challenging in the community to work on or help out with. It's been a long time since I have worked on the Mandrake branch (I like to call it) of Linux distros, but it's were I started quite sometime ago and have my fondest memories (not so much of PerlGTK though but I see you're working on that). Mentally I have always supported Mageia and it's efforts and always wanted to be involved, so hopefully I will find something to do around here.
JMiahMan

Re: Hope to make Mageia a home

Postby filip » Jul 13th, '17, 20:10

Hi Jeremiah.

Welcome. I'm sure you can find something compelint to contribute to around here. I recommend that you contact the appropriate team on their IRC channel and mailing list.
filip

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 13th, '17, 20:28

In case you do have any questions, be it regarding Mageia or on stuff like systemd, don't hesitate to ask :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby richardwest » Jul 13th, '17, 20:34

Hi JMiahMan, long time no see.

I still fire up my EeePCs occasionally for a bit of nostalgia. :geek:
Richard.
richardwest

Postby JMiahMan » Jul 13th, '17, 20:36

Thanks filip, I'm surfing through SVN and seeing how things are working.. ie. the livemedia process (dracut) if you guys have adopted ndb for rpm (not yet it seems), I guess in general the infrastructure. Fun so far. I'll take a look at the rpmmacros as well and maybe build a few rpms before I jump in to far just to see how much things have changed from upstream and also from the prior experience I have had with Mandrake branch of distros.

doktor5000, I haven't had a chance to look do deeply at the Systemd implementation. I am not a huge fan of systemd just because I like things simple (and simple to me is bash scripts) but are there any plans to split up packaging at all of systemd to simply offer just the init and udev?

Hello Richard, great to see you! That's actually one of the reasons I am here. I want to fire up my EeePCs again :) and maybe make something a bit more stripped down for them, or anything in general.
JMiahMan

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 13th, '17, 20:48

JMiahMan wrote:doktor5000, I haven't had a chance to look do deeply at the Systemd implementation. I am not a huge fan of systemd just because I like things simple (and simple to me is bash scripts) but are there any plans to split up packaging at all of systemd to simply offer just the init and udev?

No there are no such plans as far as I'm aware.

But I'd like to encourage you to go ahead and get more in touch with systemd/journald, it definitely has its advantages, although in a few areas it also introduces a bit more indirection compared to simple bash scripts.

If you need some pointers for the documentation, you may want to look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit ... Cheatsheet
There's also the pretty extensive systemd for administrators series from the systemd author himself that I can recommend: Check the section "The systemd for Administrators Blog Series" at http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby JMiahMan » Jul 13th, '17, 21:11

doktor5000 wrote:No there are no such plans as far as I'm aware.

That's a bummer I may need to get involved in that, there's a lot of cruft that Systemd offers that for most (desktop) use cases that isn't needed (if built).. nspawn would be a prime example. So it would be nice to have to split out as an optional package.

doktor5000 wrote:But I'd like to encourage you to go ahead and get more in touch with systemd/journald, it definitely has its advantages, although in a few areas it also introduces a bit more indirection compared to simple bash scripts.

I have to say I am quite "in touch" with Systemd as a Linux Engineer and Cent/RHEL 7 adopting it and I was also involved with arguing against that move (no reason to rehash that).. I still am not happy about it and if you can find any communications between Lennart and I that haven't been deleted (he tends to delete them when and where he can) then you would know why. Although I do give him credit for his work on Avahi and PulseAudio.. I actually stood behind him with PulseAudio, but I was very happy when Colin took it. Colin's work on implementation of Pulse at Mandriva I feel is the sole reason it's still being used.

doktor5000 wrote:If you need some pointers for the documentation, you may want to look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit ... Cheatsheet
There's also the pretty extensive systemd for administrators series from the systemd author himself that I can recommend: Check the section "The systemd for Administrators Blog Series" at http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

Thank you but I have read quite a lot of words from Lennart, I'm good with my current count :) Overall I work with what I have to get the job done and if that's Systemd that's fine, but I prefer it lean.
JMiahMan

Postby morgano » Jul 14th, '17, 11:58

That is the way to handle life :)
Welcome aboard.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby buster » Apr 3rd, '19, 00:16

This seems as good a place as any to restate that I find Mageia awesome, and a great home for old mandrake users. Love its stability, quickness, and comfort as I use it.
buster

Return to Welcome on board