New Mageia Welcome application - please test

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

New Mageia Welcome application - please test

Postby papoteur » Jan 2nd, '19, 16:27

Hello,
For cauldron tester, there is a new mageiawelcome application since next month.
This application succeeds to the previous one which was build on webkit. The new one use QML technology and has some behaviour of tablet apps.
You can give some feedback here, and with some chance, they will be integrated in next release.
You can also check that it's OK with your preferred language. In case it's incomplete, the translation tool is http://www.transifex.com were you can join us.
mageiawelcome-1.png
mageiawelcome-1.png (75.14 KiB) Viewed 16215 times
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jan 2nd, '19, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: slightly changed subject, changed to global announcement
papoteur

Re: New Mageia Welcome application - please test

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 3rd, '19, 18:50

RE: "new mageiawelcome application since next month"
THANKS for that question....I do not want to quibble, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but where can we go to check it out, please? (since it will not be implemented until next month)...
dullblade2

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 6th, '19, 16:27

Hey Isadora !
how are you doing? It would be great to give that welcome application a test run, but how do we do that?
I would advocate for a mission statement and overall description of M, maybe even a little background or history as the first tab.
how to contribute/donate could be a second tab.
If you proceed from the general to the more specific nitty-gritty, it might allow all the newbies to get a handle on the 'bigger' picture.
The ones who are already familiar and more savvy could skip through the introductory parts.
Eliminate the 'more info' tab; each tab should unscroll to reveal what it covers.
Less is more. Be very tight and focused. M will benefit more by being more straight-forward and open-handed than the competition. Lay all your cards on the table upfront and make it clear that M is accessible and intuitive, and offers more customisable options than micro$oft and apple. Grow your user base and the volunteers will help with development and documentation.
These are some of my off the cuff remarks: I apologise for being presumptive and arrogant in my somewhat overblown suggestions.
dullblade2

Postby isadora » Jan 6th, '19, 17:56

Hello and welcome dullblade2. :)

Where it concerns the question how to test the new Mageia Welcome-application;
as OP already mentioned in his very first words; it's available for testing in Cauldron, the development-version of Mageia (version 7 at the time).
My way of using Cauldron is by installing it into a virtual machine (VirtualBox for instance).
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby papoteur » Jan 6th, '19, 19:01

dullblade2 wrote:RE: "new mageiawelcome application since next month"

Sorry, my mistake, I wanted to say "last month".
And yes, it's in cauldron. It will come also in Mageia 6 as update, but after the last settings.
I would advocate for a mission statement and overall description of M, maybe even a little background or history as the first tab.

The aim of Mageia Welcome is that user doesn't miss steps that are of great importance. He already chose to install Mageia, thus, I think it is not the moment to tell a story.
how to contribute/donate could be a second tab.

This is in the "More information tab.
If you proceed from the general to the more specific nitty-gritty, it might allow all the newbies to get a handle on the 'bigger' picture.
The ones who are already familiar and more savvy could skip through the introductory parts.
Eliminate the 'more info' tab; each tab should unscroll to reveal what it covers.
Less is more. Be very tight and focused.

To be focused, we choose to have only one topic by tab. The remaining is in the last tab.
M will benefit more by being more straight-forward and open-handed than the competition. Lay all your cards on the table upfront and make it clear that M is accessible and intuitive, and offers more customisable options than micro$oft and apple. Grow your user base and the volunteers will help with development and documentation.
These are some of my off the cuff remarks: I apologise for being presumptive and arrogant in my somewhat overblown suggestions.

Don't worry, I prefer what you say than that you stay quite ;)
papoteur

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 7th, '19, 17:44

thank you, Isadora,
for your response and your well considered reply. I have a lot to learn about M ( and so many other things). My viewpoint is heavily colored by growing up in pre-internet and pre-global times, so I know many folks who have not had the pleasure of trying 'any' linux distro. My path from general computer use with MS, to trying and loving linux was a rocky one, not really having the time to learn proper coding or understand all the intricacies of computer languages.
So generally I am thinking about how people make the switch from using MS or Apple and becoming a devotee of linux. I guess my strong suit is my total ignorance. But I do have other expertise and some skills. I know how it feels to look at a page or to be introduced to a new operating system and not know what to do first. My suggestions were geared toward making that start page/welcome page present itself in a way that even a child (and thus many adults) unfamilar with the whole idea that there multiple operating systems available and almost infinite possibilities for customization, would be able to see the genesis of M and linux, and become intrigued with exploring more. Once one has made the switch to linux in general, one discovers that the world of computers is not limited to MS and Apple.
If you really want to grow your user base, shouldn't you pitch the welcome screen to people who are totally unfamilar with linux and mageia?
But what do I know? On the flip side, if you are assuming that all of your users are already familiar with linux and are computer savvy, (as most of them are), aren't you limiting your potential audience to only those already within the linux community?
I guess it depends on what your vision for Mageia is and if it is designed to be for a limited number of users, who already possess a fairly extensive array of computer knowledge.
It seems to me that M would be an attractive operating system for a large number of people who are stuck seeing the world only through the eyes of MS and Apple. And what's more, M has a lot to offer the world by demonstrating there is another way to envision their possible use of computers. What is your vision of where you want M to be in Five years?
dullblade2

Postby frc2kde » Mar 25th, '19, 22:17

Hi

I am almost 3 months late, because I have installed Mageia 7 beta 2 just last week.

I'd like to greet the team for the new design. It is the best improvement I could have seen.

I had a "little problem" last 2 years, and now just 4 days were enough to solve it, because of new Wellcome design.

It goes right to the most basic things a new user needs.

So, I have runned Live Mageia 6 and Live Mageia 5, just to understand why old Wellcome didn't help me to solve this "little problem" last 2 years. And... it was bloated and confused with a lot of things. What I needed more was a bit "hidden", and the whole design didn't focus on what really matters.

Thanks for this clean, focused and objective drawing.
frc2kde

Postby Kosh » Apr 24th, '19, 23:21

No showstopper, just a small typo in mageiawelcome 1.97-1.mga7:

It lists under the tab "Your configuration":

Congratulations!
You have are now running Mageia 7.

Maybe change it to just: You are now running Mageia 7.

Thanks.
Kosh

Postby papoteur » Apr 26th, '19, 10:16

Good catch.
I will push a correction.
Papoteur
papoteur

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron