Mageia 7 Beta 2 ready for testing

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

Mageia 7 Beta 2 ready for testing

Postby isadora » Feb 23rd, '19, 11:05

Thanks hansmicheelsen for pointing out.
I didn't read anything in our blog, but heard about release-plans through mailing-list.
Anyhow.............................................

Mageia 7 Beta 2 has been released, ready for testing.

Be careful! This is a beta, unstable release.

Direct downloads are available through:
https://www.mageia.org/downloads/prerelease/
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Mageia 7 Beta 2 ready for testing

Postby caffilhobr » Feb 24th, '19, 02:25

Do you have any forecasts for the final version?
caffilhobr

Postby isadora » Feb 24th, '19, 08:12

Not yet; there will most likely be also a beta3 before that.
And that because Gnome will have new release (3.32) shortly, which would be great to have included.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby caffilhobr » Feb 24th, '19, 14:36

I understand, thank you very much for the feedback.
caffilhobr

Postby isadora » Feb 24th, '19, 16:17

You're welcome. :)

isadora

Postby bbfuller » Mar 7th, '19, 17:44

Not a lot of feedback on the release so I thought I'd just say "Thanks".

I've just installed it on an Acer B113 Travelmate and the whole process was very smooth.

I particularly liked that the wireless connection I established on the Live DVD was carried forward into the install....though I can see that might not be to everyone's taste.

I also liked the feature in the installer where after deleting some existing partitions there was the option to use the free space for the installation without manual partitioning. If it was there on the 5 and 6 releases I must have just passed it over.

I also like that the firewall is active directly after the install. It does seem a little odd though that the firewall tool in the Control Centre doesn't have a facility to open ports for "SAMBA" but that the add on "manatools" package does. Perhaps when I set up a samba share it'll open the firewall automatically.

Meanwhile Mageia seems to be doing exactly what I want. That is to be unobtrusive and reliable as always.

Thanks again to all involved.
bbfuller

Postby xboxboy » Mar 8th, '19, 01:40

IIRC I think when you add the network wizard package the samba option is added to firewall: Might not be right on that, been a long time since I needed to do that, I think my main install is from mageia 3 or 4, I've been able to upgrade releases without issue.
xboxboy

Postby bbfuller » Mar 8th, '19, 02:01

Yes, it was one or the other.

I installed manatools before I created a samba share. Certainly before I did either samba wasn't an option in the firewall settings. If I do another install I'll do it the other way round to find out.

Like you, I've upgraded from version 4 on my main machines over the years and so haven't come across the problem.
bbfuller

Postby adhefe » Mar 11th, '19, 03:02

Hello everyone,

I'm new in this forum.

I've tried mageia 7 beta2 iso but it did not get into the live mode. It took too long and did not go.

The laptop has a mobo gk5cn6z, processor i7-8750h, and a nvidia gtx 1050 ti. The following messages are shown,

IMG_20190310_204128236_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190310_204128236_HDR.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 25629 times
adhefe

Postby xboxboy » Mar 11th, '19, 13:20

Hi Adhefe,
welcome! Thanks for taking the time to join and post. Mageia is a great community. I hope you enjoy it.

For a proper introduction, you can introduce yourself over at: https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15

I know there are often GPU driver issues: I'm not sure what your problem is, but it would be great if you could note it over at 'the pad' where the QA team (quality assurance) make their notes, and the developers can check it out: https://pad.riseup.net/p/mageia7-beta2 The top of that page tells you what to do, it's pretty simple, and any information you add is really appreciated.
*note: that address changes as the releases trickle out: So the best way to know the current one is to check out the QA irc channel: #mageia-qa and the title/info has the latest info regarding testing/QA.

If you do ever have time, all the mageia irc channels are pretty good places to hang out. Unfortunately, the spammers attacking IRC mean you need to be registered, which isn't hard, but it seems to have driven people off IRC, so you may not get an instant response, but people will be around: The mageia community, is spread across the globe.

It's a shame it didn't boot for you, but Mageia 7 is looking pretty amazing already.
xboxboy

Postby adhefe » Mar 11th, '19, 15:55

xboxboy wrote:Hi Adhefe,
welcome! Thanks for taking the time to join and post. Mageia is a great community. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This is a hybrid graphics laptop and its mobo is known to have touch pad problems with old kernels. I'll try to blacklist nouveau and check for the touch pad in spite of the brand new 4.20 kernel at mageia 7 beta2.

Thanks again
adhefe

Postby adhefe » Mar 12th, '19, 01:32

Upon blacklisting nouveau at booting of mageia 7 beta2 I reached the live mode. I'm using it now.

I intend to make a fresh install of mageia 7 beta2 over another installation. I would like to do it preserving users areas at /home. I mean, in a fresh install one defines the wheel user, root, leaving regular users for configurations after installation. How to configure new users to use the same areas they already had, without moving directories or symbolic links, with MCC? Is it done automatically if users have the same names, logins, etc?

Thanks
adhefe

Postby adhefe » Mar 12th, '19, 01:34

Forgot to say, /home and / are at different devices...
adhefe

Postby benmc » Mar 13th, '19, 05:23

adhefe wrote:Forgot to say, /home and / are at different devices...

see my reply in your other thread.

the Mageia installer is pretty fine grained in what it can be asked to do.

I have 5 (soon to be 11) hard drives in my desktop machine.
/boot/EFI on one drive, / and /home on another and /boot (for bios boot-grub2) on yet another, and multiple systems (as / and /home) on yet another drive.

using "Custom disk Partitioning" and then toggle the drive options (top right) to choose your drive and set your partitions as required.
after setting your / and home, the next screen will offer to format your partitions.
just uncheck /home and you should be good to go.

hint: you have backed up your /home partition?
benmc

Postby benmc » Mar 13th, '19, 05:30

adhefe wrote:Is it done automatically if users have the same names, logins, etc?

Thanks

should be, if you use the same user id.
I have had no reason to change distros, so I cannot be absolutely sure.
benmc

Postby adhefe » Mar 13th, '19, 15:38

Ok!

Trying an installation via live mode.

It seems the installer does not allow for a btrfs partition. Is it true?

Thanks
adhefe

Postby isadora » Mar 13th, '19, 16:16

Adhefe, please be so kind to make new topics for new issues.
And when so, preferably into the sub "Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron".
Thanks ahead. ;)

isadora

Postby adhefe » Mar 13th, '19, 16:27

Ok.

Thanks.
adhefe

Postby frc2kde » Mar 24th, '19, 00:13

isadora wrote:Be careful! This is a beta, unstable release.

Direct downloads are available through:
https://www.mageia.org/downloads/prerelease/

Hello

I am new to the Forum, and have not such aknowledge to test / talk technically.

What I can tell is:

a) I have installed Mageia 6 when it was still "sta2", and it worked fine for 2 years, until last week.

b) Last Sunday, I have installed Mageia 7 beta2 and it is working fine ─ 7 days working with it most of the time.

There are a few problems, mostly because I am not an expert in Linux, but it is better than my experience with Mageia 6, maybe because I have learned something new.

P.S.: - Using the same /home partition, since Mageia 5. Just creating always the same User name. It keeps all configs from the last 2 years.
frc2kde

Return to News and announcements