Vote to keep Mageia in the Major Distributions list

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Vote to keep Mageia in the Major Distributions list

Postby kekePower » Jan 29th, '19, 11:59

Hi.

Distrowatch has decided to see if there is an interest in replacing Mageia as one of the Major Distributions, basically saying that this distribution is dead and buried.

Let's tell them otherwise.

The amount of work and love that goes into making Mageia such a great distribution really deserves to be featured on a site such as Distrowatch.

Go to https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190128#poll
and vote to "Leave Mageia on the page".

The standing right now is:
Manjaro Linux: 727 (25%)
MX Linux: 806 (28%)
elementary OS: 393 (13%)
Solus: 419 (14%)
Kali Linux: 59 (2%)
Other: 208 (7%)
Leave Mageia on the page: 302 (10%)

Also remember to share this poll on social media asking your friends and family to step up :-)

Cheers,
kekePower
kekePower

Re: Vote to keep Mageia in the Major Distributions list

Postby denisbr » Jan 29th, '19, 19:04

Thanks kekePower for share it!
I doed my contribution voting in the poll and I´m sharing this news on the Mageia Brasil.
denisbr

Postby kekePower » Feb 1st, '19, 22:57

Thanks for all the work done so far. We've reached a good number, but it's still a long way to go.

Standing as of today:
Manjaro Linux: 1032 (22%)
MX Linux: 1368 (30%)
elementary OS: 551 (12%)
Solus: 616 (13%)
Kali Linux: 92 (2%)
Other: 322 (7%)
Leave Mageia on the page: 607 (13%)
kekePower

mageia - distrowatch

Postby Amiage » Feb 2nd, '19, 09:19

En ce moment, DistroWatch organise un sondage : selon eux, Mageia a pendant longtemps fait partie des « distributions majeures », et figure donc sur la page spéciale qui est consacrée à ces distributions, mais cette place ne serait plus justifiée. Le site invite donc ses lecteurs à choisir parmi plusieurs prétendants, ou à cocher le bouton « Garder Mageia sur la page » (des distrib majeures).

Le vote se passe sur ce lien : https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190128&mode=67#poll

-------------------------------

At this moment, DistroWatch is organizing a survey: according to them, Mageia has long been part of the "major distributions", and is therefore listed on the special page which is devoted to these distributions but this place would no longer be justified. The site invites its readers to choose among several suitors, or tick the button "Keep Mageia on the page" (major distributions).

The vote is on this link: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190128&mode=67#poll

Last edited by isadora on Feb 2nd, '19, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into already existing topic, which was opened concerning same issue.
Amiage

Postby banjo » Feb 3rd, '19, 20:47

I just voted to keep Mageia on the page. Current count:

Which new distro should be listed as a major project?

Manjaro Linux: 1092 (21%)
MX Linux: 1557 (30%)
elementary OS: 562 (11%)
Solus: 653 (12%)
Kali Linux: 103 (2%)
Other: 347 (7%)
Leave Mageia on the page: 932 (18%)

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby kekePower » Feb 5th, '19, 10:20

Thanks for all the hard work. The voting has now closed and Mageia was removed from the list and replaced by MX Linux and Gentoo.

Lots of comments on that poll with a few goodies, but mostly people bashing everything but their own personal favorite distribution.

To me, personally, this feels like a loss, but I will keep on doing my best to keep Mageia up-to-date and working and to keep it at the high standard we all expect.

Again, thanks and keep up the magick <3

Cheers,
kekePower
kekePower

Postby banjo » Feb 5th, '19, 14:48

I, for one, do not give a whole lot of weight to what Distrowatch says about the distros. After all, their main ranking is a mechanical survey based on page hits.

Mageia is taking care of business in a stable way. They are not doing nutty things like dropping Plasma completely out of deference to a home-spun Gnome (Cinnamon). They are not trying to make my desktop look like a cell phone (Unity).

I am running both Mint 18.1 and Mageia 7 Beta 1, and the Mageia beta version seems to work better than the released Mint.

Here is one of my favorite quotes, "Eat garbage; can 10,000 flies be wrong?"

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby benmc » Feb 5th, '19, 23:08

banjo wrote:I am running both Mint 18.1 and Mageia 7 Beta 1, and the Mageia beta version seems to work better than the released Mint.

I occasionally (when I have the time) try other distros in VB to see what they are like, but I have so far found them wanting in some way.
not a big fan of him, but Dedoimedo seems to have been of late, lamenting the decline of the linux desktop, and I am inclined to agree with him wrt those VB installs.
death by a thousand paper cuts sort of thing.

Most new users (windows refugees) to Linux seem to stick with what they know, i.e, their first distribution.
It is only when it "craps out completely again, again" that they are encouraged / motivated to look elsewhere.
unfortunately it seems that many would rather the insecurity and spying of windows (the devil they know) than try another distribution.

On a positive note, Mageia does seem to be continuing to do Her own thing, Her way, and doing it very well, and just keeping on "keeping on"
benmc

Return to General discussions about Mageia