Solved-"password not working after 5 to 6 upgrade"

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Solved-"password not working after 5 to 6 upgrade"

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 11th, '19, 17:50

hi,to the great team of mageia,
After upgrading online from 5 to 6, my existing password does not work. Does the upgrade wipe out the pw, and why did it not give me a chance to reset it?
Last edited by dullblade2 on Jan 13th, '19, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
dullblade2

Re: password not working after 5 to 6 upgrade

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 11th, '19, 19:26

You are talking about what password specifically, your user password or the root password? Also, "does not work" means what in particular?

To answer your question, the upgrade does not wipe any password. And in general, you can reset the password of any user at any time. Just login as root and set a new password.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 11th, '19, 19:48

thank you kindly,
my general administrative log in password to the OS. I had Mageia 5 set to log me in automatically, and I had used the password to gain entry to the updates program, for example, but after upgrading to Mageia 6, it presents me with a log on screen, ( I am assuming it reset to defaults ) but I did not see an opportunity to set any new administrative pw.) So now it will not accept my original pw and I cannot log in. Is there a way or a default pw to get back in.? Bty, thanks again for your help. (If I knew where to go to in the innards of the OS, I could access the file-system with a live cd.)
dullblade2

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 11th, '19, 22:54

sorry if I did not answer your specific question of 'does not work'. I enter what I believe is the username, and then I enter the password (which previously worked), but I get "login failed".
dullblade2

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 12th, '19, 02:07

So it's the password for your regular user. From the login screen, please try to switch to a tty via e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2 and login there as your username, or alternatively as root. Does that work?
If it doesn't, then you can either access your system via a livecd, or you can reset your root password if you don't know that anymore. But first just try to login as described above.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 12th, '19, 18:03

ok, thank you very much for trying to help me with my predicament. I am at a loss to determine whatever username I set when I originally installed Mageia 5. I am sure that I have the proper password because I used it to authenticate a number of times to do upgrades and updates and it always worked. (including I believe the upgrade from 5 to 6.) So I think I am at a dead=end. I will have to try to reload the OS. On the bright side, I did not have much of anything on the Mageia 5 system.
I have tried several possible usernames without success. I did ctrl-alt-f2 into a separate login screen, but same issue. Without being 100% sure of username and password. I am just shooting in the dark. But I do really, really appreciate your suggestions. thanks
dullblade2

Postby dullblade2 » Jan 12th, '19, 23:30

@doktor5000 -
since I did appreciate your help, I thought I would let you know the gates of heaven opened after I entered root as username, and used the same pw I have had all along. The only other detail for those few who may not know, is that, as you type, nothing is shown on the password line, so you proceed in blind faith and complete confidence, hitting enter after you are sure you entered it correctly; then it lets you in.
So now I am enjoying the wonder of mageia 6; and it is much different than 5 !
My one complaint is that, although I set the a new user account, and set it for automatic login, it still is asking me for a un and pw. ??? I guess I will figure that out as I work with it more. Thanks for helping to walk me through it.
dullblade2

Postby isadora » Jan 13th, '19, 08:19

dullblade2, would you mind, marking this topic [SOLVED]?
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead. :)

For your new question i advise, opening a new topic.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 13th, '19, 21:39

dullblade2 wrote:My one complaint is that, although I set the a new user account, and set it for automatic login, it still is asking me for a un and pw. ???

We can help you figure that out, but you need to tell us what login / display manager you're using. For comparison, here's what they usually look like: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Display_Managers
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support