Graphical interface suddenly not working after update

Graphical interface suddenly not working after update

Postby jimg » Jan 6th, '19, 23:13

I recently did an update and when I rebooted I got a message saying "Sorry, but there has bee a problem starting your graphical display." And putting me into a terminal to log in as root and fix things, and then enter "systemctl default".

I poked around a bit, uninstalled and re-installed task-x11, but no luck. I'm no afraid of using the command line but I'm not really sure how to diagnose the issue. Any ideas?

Naturally I'll be happy to post more information, just not sure what information is relevant.

If it's helpful the package x11-server-common-1.19.5-1.2.mga6 is installed. I thought perhaps there should be a corresponding x11-client-common package, but there is none.

Thanks,

Jim
jimg

Re: Graphical interface suddenly not working after update

Postby martinw » Jan 6th, '19, 23:59

Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any helpful error messages
martinw

Postby jimg » Jan 7th, '19, 01:44

Xorg.0.log indicates that module v4l doesn't exist and couldn't be loaded. Also the module "intel" does not exist and also couldn't be loaded. Then it said that no drivers were available. Finally, it said
Code: Select all
(EE) no screens found(EE)

and this was a fatal error.
jimg

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '19, 14:32

Could you please attach the whole /var/log/Xorg.0.log here? Also please post the output of
lspcidrake -v
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jimg » Jan 8th, '19, 02:51

That's a little challenging because I have to get the files from one compute to another, using BASH. Could you tell me where a USB drive would show up and be accessible via BASH? And remind me how to mount it, if necessary?

Thanks!

-Jim
jimg

Postby martinw » Jan 8th, '19, 19:00

Plug in the USB stick, then
dmesg

That will show you which device the USB stick has been assigned to, e.g. /dev/sdb. Then, as root
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt
umount /mnt
eject /dev/sdb

replacing /dev/sdb1 with the correct device+partition. You can use any directory in place of /mnt if you already have something mounted there.
martinw

Postby jimg » Jan 9th, '19, 04:14

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm attaching Xorg.0.log as a file, and the results of lspcidrake -v as the file lspcidrake-out.txt.
Attachments
lspcidrake-out.txt
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Xorg.0.log
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
jimg

Postby martinw » Jan 14th, '19, 00:35

The log says "(EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0)". Is the x11-driver-video-intel package installed?
martinw

Postby jimg » Jan 14th, '19, 05:48

Thanks. The x11-driver-video-intel package is in fact installed.
jimg

Postby martinw » Jan 14th, '19, 10:45

Maybe some files are missing or have wrong permissions. On my system I have
% \ls -l /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Jan 16  2018 /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so -> /etc/alternatives/x11-intel-so
% \ls -l /etc/alternatives/x11-intel-so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 57 Jan 16  2018 /etc/alternatives/x11-intel-so -> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel-common/intel_drv.so
% \ls -l /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel-common/intel_drv.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1729976 Jan 10  2018 /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel-common/intel_drv.so
martinw

Postby jimg » Jan 16th, '19, 02:41

Mysterious. I have the same.
jimg

Postby martinw » Jan 22nd, '19, 00:07

The module search path in your Xorg log file looks OK, and the glx module is found and loaded, but not the v4l or intel modules. Apart from checking file and directory permissions, I can't think of anything else to suggest, other than to forcibly reinstall all the xorg packages.
martinw

Postby jiml8 » Jan 23rd, '19, 08:37

Try to load the driver manually and see what happens. As root: "modprobe intel". If it doesn't load, then try "insmod intel".

If it still won't load, then look in modules to see if the driver is there. As root:
cd /lib/modules
find ./ -name "intel*"

You may have more than one kernel on your system, and therefore more than one set of modules in /lib/modules. Choose the module that matches your kernel. When you find it, try cd'ing to the correct directory and manually loading the driver from within the same directory. Try various forms of the commands to see if any of them work, such as:
modprobe intel
insmod intel
insmod ./intel
insmod ./intel.ko
insmod ./intel.ko.xz

And so forth. Note that I did not list all the possible syntax combinations; you should be able to figure them out.

If the driver successfully loads, then try to start your display manager and see if it starts:
service sddm start
or
systemctl start sddm.service

If an appropriate driver is not there, then you can compile one from the kernel source, but I won't get into that unless it is needed.

Probably there is some screwup someplace regarding the path to the driver or else the driver is not compiled. Play with it, and you likely will get it working. Once you have it working, then you can figure out why it isn't loading automatically.
jiml8

Postby martinw » Jan 23rd, '19, 10:41

jiml8 wrote:Try to load the driver manually and see what happens. As root: "modprobe intel". If it doesn't load, then try "insmod intel".

It's the DDX driver that isn't loading, not the kernel driver.
martinw

Return to Video