[SOLVED]Error starting Denemo

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED]Error starting Denemo

Postby Erik » Oct 11th, '18, 12:30

Today I tried using Denemo. The program works only partially: the window that must show the result gives an error:

"Lilypond could not typeset this score."

Via Konsole I got this comment:

Code: Select all
[erikjan@ejvw-main ~]$ denemo
Denemo - MESSAGE : Loading preference file: /home/erikjan/.denemo-2.0.14/denemorc
Denemo - MESSAGE : Audio driver is 'portaudio'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing Fluidsynth
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = Bestand of map bestaat niet
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
Denemo - MESSAGE : The default fluidsynth soundfont has been loaded
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing Rubberband
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortAudio backend
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
Cannot connect to server socket err = Bestand of map bestaat niet
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: default'
Denemo - MESSAGE : MIDI driver is 'portmidi'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortMidi backend
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening input device 'ALSA: Midi Through Port-0'                                                                                         
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: Midi Through Port-0'                                                                                         
EvinceDocument - WARNING : Error opening directory “/usr/lib64/evince/4/backends”: Bestand of map bestaat niet                                               
Denemo - MESSAGE : Denemo version 2.0.14                                                                                                                     
Denemo - MESSAGE : Loaded keymap /usr/share/denemo/actions/Default.commands                                                                                 
Denemo - MESSAGE : Reading history file /home/erikjan/.denemo-2.0.14/denemohistory                                                                           
  GLib - CRITICAL: g_file_test: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed
Success 1
Log level set to 287

(denemo:5365): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x13e8ea0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
ALSA lib pcm.c:8323:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

(denemo:5365): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x13e8ea0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
Denemo - WARNING : Trying to read the pdf file file:///tmp/Denemo_DOXQQZ/denemoprintB.pdf gave an error: File type PDF-document (application/pdf) is not supported
Denemo - MESSAGE : Autosaving
Document compression mode set to 3, (read back as 3)
Log level set to 287
Denemo - WARNING : Trying to read the pdf file file:///tmp/Denemo_DOXQQZ/denemoprintA.pdf gave an error: File type PDF-document (application/pdf) is not supported

I do not know how to correct these errors. Please, help!

Erik
Last edited by Erik on Oct 14th, '18, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Erik

Re: Error starting Denemo

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 11th, '18, 15:57

Erik wrote:Denemo - WARNING : Trying to read the pdf file file:///tmp/Denemo_DOXQQZ/denemoprintB.pdf gave an error: File type PDF-document (application/pdf) is not supported
[...]
Denemo - WARNING : Trying to read the pdf file file:///tmp/Denemo_DOXQQZ/denemoprintA.pdf gave an error: File type PDF-document (application/pdf) is not supported[/code]

I think those are issues, although you would need to ask upstream on how to debug this further, or if this is the actual cause of denemo not working or only the outcome
Check http://www.denemo.org/community/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Erik » Oct 11th, '18, 18:45

I had a look at Denemo in Linux Mint and Rosa R10. In both the version of Denemo is 2.2. The Mageia version is 2.0. I suspect all that is needed, is an update. Just now I prefer not to change Mageia for one of those; luckily I found at tar.xz package of Denemo 2.2 that I can expand in my Downloads directory and run from there. Lilypond is includied in it too, and it works! so for now I keep with Mageia 6.

Thank you for your help always when we need it and greetings.

Erik
Erik

Postby morgano » Oct 12th, '18, 09:10

I made an update request: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23671

@Erik, could you join that bug and test the update whenever some packager find time to update it?
I do not have any experience with this sort of programs (or music creation)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby Erik » Oct 12th, '18, 10:54

Dear Morgano,

I do not have experience with denemo either and know nothing of music writing. But a friend of mine whom I persuaded to leave Windows behind, and who now uses Mageia 6 needs to print songs with the notes. I wrestled with Denemo last night using the Mageia version with the current version of Lilypond that does not work, and with the working version 2.2 on Linux Mint XFCE. My conclusion is that probably the Mageia version is just out of date.

I also tried Frescobaldi. My conclusion is: use Frescobaldi. Download the Lilipond manual (html version) and learn to use it with Frescobaldi. I believe that in the long run it will be easier to do this than to learn Denemo.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby banjo » Oct 13th, '18, 04:41

I have tried to use Denemo several times with little luck. I don't remember the specific issues, but I found it behaving in strange ways, creating input that I did not intend, and scrambling the music..... with no obvious way to back it out. It has a very confusing interface. It also fills my Lilypond code with strange boilerplate that is too complicated and confusing to read.

I finally gave up on it and spent the time learning Lilypond itself. I ended up making some Lilypond templates of my own that contain the constructs I need to typset the music that I do. Once I had gone through that learning curve, it is easier to use the tool.

Frescobaldi is very helpful while editing the music, especially with finding a note in the text file by hovering over the note in the music.... and vice versa.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby Erik » Oct 13th, '18, 10:41

Dear Banjo,

I had the same experience. I could not get anything deleted. I have consulted the manual that I downloaded and found via word search "delete" that there are several places in the menu where to delete specific parts of the file. I also saved what I made as a lilypond file to examine it. It contained a lot of things that I did not understand, but that are undoubtedly necessary. In the Lilypond manual I read that it presupposes a lot of default settings that can be changed by explicitly doing so. My impression after all this is: don't bother with Denemo, learn the real thing, Lilypond, and use Frescobaldi to so see the results of one's coding immediately, so that it can be corrected on the fly.

So, I quite agree with you, even though I know noting of music and music notation!

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby banjo » Oct 13th, '18, 23:59

I typeset banjo music. I have created a few templates myself that contain the macros and boiler plate that I need, such as chord diagrams, chord names, different banjo tunings, lyrics macros, etc. I don't use all of the definitions in every tune, but the template allows me to get started on a new tune rather quickly, even if I leave out some things. I do not include things that I don't ever use. That is the value of creating the templates myself.

Lilypond is a fantastic and powerful tool.... once you are over the learning curve.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo

Postby morgano » Oct 14th, '18, 00:14

Could anyone of you who have tried Denemo see if the up to date version in updates_testing works, and can be pushed?
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23671
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby Erik » Oct 14th, '18, 14:41

Dear Morgan,

I am sorry to say that on my computers the new version of Denemo does not work either. The problem has the same outcome as in the former version: "Lilypond could not typeset this score." I am just an end user without debugging capabilities; I can just see whether a program works or not. Since Denemo's tar.xz version does work in Mageia 6 perhaps a comparison between Mageia's Denemo + Lilypond could show if some incompatible dependency is part of Mageia.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby banjo » Oct 14th, '18, 15:30

I am running Denemo 2.0.14 from the standard Mageia 6 repos. When I attempt to export as PDF or PNG it claims to have done it, but the files do not show up. The Typeset Music window simply says that lilypond could not typeset the score.

However, I exported the score to a .ly file and compiled it using lilypond from the command line, e.g.

$ lilypond test.ly

Lilypond typeset the score without error and produces a proper, displayable pdf file. In the Denemo options, I set the full path to lilypond (/bin/lilypond) to make sure that Denemo is calling the same lilypond. So Denemo is calling the same lilypond that I invoked from the command line, but unsuccessfully.

The score created by Denemo specifies lilypond version 2.18.0. My system has lilypond version 2.19.61 installed. I don't know if the version difference is causing the Denemo errors or not, but the version difference does not pose a problem to lilypond when typesetting the score manually.

The takeaway is that lilypond is, indeed, able to typeset the Denemo score, but not when invoked by Denemo. It is not an incompatibility between lilypond and the Denemo score. The problem lies somewhere else.

P.S. I do not use Denemo because it is so difficult to use. I simply installed it to run some tests. I am not a Denemo expert.
banjo

Postby Erik » Oct 14th, '18, 17:28

I spent this afternoon trying out Denemo searching for hints. I found that in the preferences editor the programs "inkscape" and "eog" are presupposed. So I installed them. After this I started Denemo via Konsole and noticed an error telling me that "evince/4/backends" (something like this) did not exist. So I looked for evince and saw that the required file is in the rpm. After installing evince too the typesetting via Lilypond succeeds. It may be that the depencies need correction.

I am not yet able to import a .ly file. But since I do not understand music notation nor the conditions necessary to import such a file, I do not know if this is a problem or not.

I hope however that my experience is of use.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby Erik » Oct 14th, '18, 17:57

Oh, I forgot to tell that after the installation of evince, eog and inkscape it is necessary to delete the file .denemo-2.2.0 in the home directory and start again from zero.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 14th, '18, 20:03

Erik wrote:I spent this afternoon trying out Denemo searching for hints. I found that in the preferences editor the programs "inkscape" and "eog" are presupposed. So I installed them. After this I started Denemo via Konsole and noticed an error telling me that "evince/4/backends" (something like this) did not exist. So I looked for evince and saw that the required file is in the rpm. After installing evince too the typesetting via Lilypond succeeds. It may be that the depencies need correction.

You should add that to the bugreport which morgano created.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Erik » Oct 14th, '18, 20:15

Dear doktor,

thank you for your suggestion. I have done it.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Re: [SOLVED]Error starting Denemo

Postby banjo » Oct 14th, '18, 20:30

I have confirmed on my computer that installing inkscape, evince, and eog fixes the issue. I also had to delete the folder .denemo-2.0.14 and start over.

I am running the Denemo version in the standard repositories, 2.0.14, so an upgrade to Denemo is not necessary to make this work.

Code: Select all
System:    Host: mageia6 Kernel: 4.14.70-desktop-2.mga6 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.2
           Distro: Mageia 6 mga6
banjo

Re: [SOLVED]Error starting Denemo

Postby Gelsenbury » Oct 15th, '18, 00:28

I can also confirm that installation of these packages results in Denemo working as intended. I hadn't used it for a while, but I was familiar with the problem. This solution is a really good find.

At least eog and evince are GNOME packages, so I wonder if this issue happens specifically to users of desktops other than GNOME? Denemo seems to assume that GNOME is installed.
Gelsenbury

Return to Basic support