Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby apkerr » May 24th, '18, 14:57

Hi Morgan,

Most of my work is in Linux now, mainly writing Python scripts to try to break whatever the developers on my team have written :)

My Mageia install last night was perfectly smooth, including downloading and installing all the updates. I decided to try out the Plasma desktop for a while. I usually go with XFCE or LXDE, but this time I thought I'd try something new.

Cheers,

Andrew
apkerr

Postby astasz » Jun 15th, '18, 19:30

Hi I am Artur from Poland.
I have been using linux from several years. From one year linux is my only OS. So far i tried mainly debian based distros including ubuntu, mint, sparkylinux, antix and first of all debian. I trie also few other to test.
Recently i have tried Mageia with non-free and firmware packages and I am very impressed. This is one of the least troublemaking distros i have used. Perhaps the least. Everything works from the beginning including wi-fi, printers, graphics, Steam games, flashplayer - with no additional activities. MCC is excelent.
Despite the fact that Mageia uses more memory than distros i used, it works smoothly and fast. I have to learn get use to urpmi insted apt but i belive that it is worth.
At work i installed Mageia with MATE desktop but at home i will install Gnome or Plasma. I dont know why Mageia is not as popular as it desires.
Greettings for all Mageia users
astasz

Postby Germ » Jun 18th, '18, 16:29

Welcome to Mageia!
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby benmc » Jun 18th, '18, 21:55

Hi astasz and welcome to Mageia

astasz wrote:at home i will install Gnome or Plasma

you can install both, or more desktops at once if you want.
just select at login which one you want to use today.
you can change your mind and use another one tomorrow ;)
benmc

Postby prodromos » Jul 23rd, '18, 10:01

Hello everyone!
My name is Prodromos i am from Greece, and i have been used mageia from the first moment it was released. I belong at the Greece community, and we have fantastic team.

Thank you for the accepting.
prodromos

Postby benmc » Jul 29th, '18, 21:55

Hi prodromos and welcome to Mageia.

Nice to read that you have been here from the beginning,
hope you continue to enjoy using Mageia.

Best regards
benmc

Postby Germ » Jul 30th, '18, 12:52

Welcome prodromos! :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby buster » Aug 3rd, '18, 18:40

Buster here. Started with Red Hat and moved directly into Mandrake when it came out. Used it as long as it lasted. Made due with the excellent Mepis and some Ubuntu derivatives. Kept trying Mageia KDE, but never really felt comfortable til now with it. (Probably me not the distro.)

Really nice to work with! Of course (grin) everything pales in comparison with the excitement of Mandrake back in the day. Back then it seemed a dream come true, and I was much younger, which improves everything.

Mandrake would be proud of its grandchild.
buster

Postby benmc » Aug 14th, '18, 03:57

Hi buster,

Good to see that you have stuck around.
I, too, started with Mandrake (TM) all those years ago.
I have tied to like the Debian / Ubuntu derivatives, but there is something just missing.
Also, the MCC is just so much better / more convenient than what the others have available. (Maybe, its just that I like the tools.)

Must admit I am not a command-line junkie.

cheers,
and hope to see you around
benmc

Postby buster » Aug 16th, '18, 00:42

Well benmc, it's good to see that there are a few of us left of more 'mature' years who experienced the excitement back in the late 90's. Wonderful times! People complain about not being able to connect to this and that, or do some unusual procedure, and I remember being happy because I had a picture on the monitor, and my mouse worked.

And I agree with your comment about the command line, which I can use if I wish to. But I think it's my solemn duty to find a way to do something with a mouse and keyboard. That has to be the future for bringing in the modern user. And this 'duty' of mine annoys our other local Linux club members no end, Which is also in its own way satisfying.
buster

Postby Can80 » Sep 29th, '18, 19:40

Hello everybody!

I'm Regis from Canada, and most importantly a newly happy Mageia adopter.
Like many of you, I keep good memories of Mandrake/Mandriva and I am glad to see Mageia keeping the spirit alive.
I have been an exclusive user of Linux since 2006 and those years can be summarized like this: Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva (but mostly Fedora)
I owe my first taste of Madrake to a then locally made distro called ÉduLinux which was built from Mandrake. Simply put, it was great. Very easy to use, reliable, highly intuitive and rock solid, which at the time was a quite a novelty. I used it until it got discontinued.
Other than that, I have always been Fedora. Switching from time to time to give then Mandriva a run, but it was always short lived. Even though I found in general that Mandriva was way more stable, intuitive and user friendly, I was so used to the Fedora command line that I couldn't get myself to like Mandriva's.

But things do change with time, and so do people. Today, I just don't like the direction Fedora is taking. Must be a result of me growing old, now what I need is stability and reliability over novelty. I needed a alternative, especially at work. Enters Mageia!
I wanted to give one last try to the Mandriva experience before going with Debian.
That was a good decision. I felt the same magic as I did the first time I tried ÉduLinux. I find here the better of all world. Ease of use, reliability, a rock solid system, and the cherry on the cake, I get the thrill of the challenge for solving the minor issues I am encountering to get some specific applications work (like I did with older Fedora versions). And I love that DNF is now part of Mageia's arsenal, because I still can't get myself to like URPMI.
So, in short, I am now here to stay. I don't have the words to express my gratitude and my respect to the Mageia Team and community for making such a great distro.
Last edited by Can80 on Nov 23rd, '18, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Can80

Postby benmc » Sep 29th, '18, 23:53

Hi Can80 and welcome to Mageia.

Home you enjoy your new "home".
(the curtains have been changed, some minor additions and a new coat of paint, but still pretty much Mandrake)
benmc

Postby isadora » Sep 30th, '18, 13:34

Thanks for your great introduction Can80. :D
Wish you have magical times with Mageia!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Germ » Oct 1st, '18, 12:31

Welcome to Mageia! :mrgreen:
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby Cricklewood » Oct 3rd, '18, 18:43

Hello everyone,

I was distro-hopping for some time but Mageia Cauldron is one of the few that works pretty well with my Raven Ridge CPU and it's overall presentation is pretty nice so I'll be staying on it for a while I hope. :)
Cricklewood

Postby benmc » Oct 3rd, '18, 22:17

Hi Cricklewood

and welcome to Mageia.
Great that your CPU is supported in Cauldron, just be aware that Cauldron is a work in perpetual progress, so an update is very likely to break your system.

That said, as Mga7 is (will be) a snapshot of Cauldron in the very near future, you are welcome to migrate to Mga7 when released, as it will be a much more stable environment.

cheers, and enjoy

Benmc
benmc

Postby vinylninja » Oct 4th, '18, 00:39

Hello Mageia, hello community,

I thought why not introduce myself when I am already using Mageia since a few days after I carefully thought about how to make my migration from Fedora perfect and read a lot of threads on this very forum.

I decided to go with a Mageia 6.1 ISO as that is what will come out shortly, instead of having a ton of updates on install time with the regular more than a year ago 6 release. I hope that is encouraged and now I am even test driving it and I have to say everything works beautifully.
I have still some freezes with Plasma and I do not know why but maybe it will get resolved, in the meantime I am playing with the compositor options.

Coming from Fedora I expect a little bit more stability, the release cycle is just too rapid and the Plasma integration is not as nice as it is is on Mageia, where Plasma is treated properly it seems.

I am a Linux user full time since 2010 and I enjoyed also some other distributions, especially Debian and derivatives. But I mostly used Fedora with various desktop environments. My favorites are Plasma and Xfce.
It is nice to see dnf included because I felt right at home as a command line junky.

I hope to enjoy the community, be a part of it and hopefully can contribute and give something back to the project.
vinylninja

Postby Cricklewood » Oct 4th, '18, 01:52

I'll be keeping an eye on it :)
Cricklewood

Postby morgano » Oct 4th, '18, 08:17

Welcome :) Myself migrated to Linux in 2006, always been using Mandriva/Mageia. Also tried Lindows, SuSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint a little through this time and before, but never saw a reason to use anything else than what now is Mageia :)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby Ercouper » Jan 4th, '19, 05:17

Hi,
My name is Ben Hacker. I live in south central US. I'm a retired electronics tech.. My hobbies include electronics, PC's, motorcycles, classic cars, aviation & astronomy. I was a long time Windows user until about 10 yrs ago when I got interested in Linux. I think my first Linux experience was with Suse but over the years I have tried maybe 50 distro's to see what the differences are. My current pc has 11 small (120GB) SSD drives, each switch selectable and each with a different OS installed.
Currently I have Win 7, Mint Cinnamon, Mint LMDE 3 (Cinn), Mint Mate, MX Linux (Xfce), Fedora (Mate), Manjaro (Cinn.), Makulu (Mate), Manjaro (Deepin), KDE Neon, & Mageia (Cinn.). Anyway I am enjoying Mageia 6 a lot and will be looking forward to checking out 7. I might mention that I only boot Windows once every month or so but don't use it or need it. Looking forward to my stay here. :)
Ercouper

Postby isadora » Jan 4th, '19, 13:50

Our first new member in the new year, welcome!!! :D
Have magical times with Mageia and it's community.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby kuppuswamy » Jan 19th, '19, 04:38

Hi to all in the forum.
I am from Tamilnadu, India. I am a long time user of linux which I started some ten year back with my first PC installed with fedora 7 or 8 by my friend. Later on, of my own without anyone's help I installed Mandriva linux. After that I distro hopped and learnt what is there in different distro's and now I feel comfortable in using any distro. But I mostly prefer distro from Debian and Redhat family. Now in one of my laptop I installed Peppermint linux and in my Desktop two days ago I installed Mageia 6.1 along side windows 10.
I like the simplicity and aesthetic look of Mageia. Now started learning how to use urpmi. I take this opportunity to thank all involved with Mageia linux. :D :D :D
kuppuswamy

Postby isadora » Jan 21st, '19, 14:48

Thank you for the nice introduction, and welcome aboard kuppuswamy. :D
We wish you great and magical times around with this distribution and our forum.

You can even be part of realization of all this magic by participating.
I kindly ask you, to have a look at our contribution-page, for if you have some spare time left:
https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/contribute/

isadora

Postby kuppuswamy » Jan 22nd, '19, 03:53

Thank you Isadora for your request. I take this opportunity to acknowledge that I feel comfortable using Linux with some tweaks than using Windows.
For long I am contemplating to contribute in the development of open source, particularly Linux. I hope, I start contributing something to Mageia Linux.
kuppuswamy

Postby jamacla » Feb 19th, '19, 00:04

Greetings, everyone!

I too did a bit of distro-hopping in the 1990's, until I chanced upon a
favorable comment about Simply Mepis and was quickly caught by its works-
out-of-the-box quality, which I had not experienced previously. Mepis was
great while it lasted, and left me more fond of KDE than of any other
desktop I had tried. Thence followed more hopping, consistently favoring
KDE, especially on Manjaro and Mint. Eventually I had to drop Manjaro
because, though I loved pacman I consistently failed to update often enough
to keep my installation functional; then Mint dropped KDE, forcing me to
find a successor to Mint. So here I am.

Now I have Mageia 6.1 installed on a Windows-7-era laptop which abandoned
Windows several years ago, and I have a new desktop on which I hope to mate
Mageia 7 with the included Win 10 Home. So far I have "Recovered" Win 10
twice while trying (without success) to install Mageia 6.1 with Win 10.
But I persist, knowing that the surest path to failure is quitting early.

Best wishes to you all!
jamacla

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board