[SOLVED] Mageia 6 64-bit updater freeze

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Mageia 6 64-bit updater freeze

Postby mailedfist » Sep 16th, '18, 23:03

Hi. For the last few days, I have been unable to update on one machine. Initially I thought it was just the GUI updater that was affected, but I have found that even urpmi --auto-update no longer works.
Using --debug, all seems to be fine up to the point where it opens the rpm db. It then just stops - no errors.

opening rpmdb (root=, write=)
[wait forever - or at least long enough for me to give up!]

A similar problem occurs if I try to edit media.

The machine did run out of space on / a week or so ago, and /var does not have its own partition so this may be related, although there is now space available again.
I have (unwisely?) tried an rpm --rebuilddb and this has not helped.

Any ideas?
Last edited by mailedfist on Sep 17th, '18, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake->Mandriva->Mageia starting in 2003. I really dislike another well-known distro starting with U.
mailedfist

Re: Mageia 6 64-bit updater freeze

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '18, 00:14

mailedfist wrote:I have (unwisely?) tried an rpm --rebuilddb and this has not helped.

Did you check whether there were any lock files?

Also see http://rpm.org/user_doc/db_recovery.html
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mailedfist » Sep 17th, '18, 12:51

Many thanks. Whilst I don't seem to have the rpmdb_dump, stat, or verify commands (I had been hoping to use verify when I started looking at the issue) what I had not thought to do was the

Code: Select all
lsof | grep /var/lib/rpm

This showed that I did still have locks due to a process I'd missed. Killing the process then allowed rpm -qa to execute without freezing, and all now seems to be well.

I'm a intrigued as to why these various commands were all freezing rather than doing the usual reporting that the rpm db was locked.
Mandrake->Mandriva->Mageia starting in 2003. I really dislike another well-known distro starting with U.
mailedfist

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '18, 16:58

mailedfist wrote:Whilst I don't seem to have the rpmdb_dump, stat, or verify commands (I had been hoping to use verify when I started looking at the issue)

Keep in mind that those binaries are located below /usr/lib/rpm and hence are not in your $PATH by default, but I don't have an mga system at hands to check.
They might have also been relocated somewhere else maybe.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support