Mageia 6 No "Install Software" item in Menu (SOLVED)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia 6 No "Install Software" item in Menu (SOLVED)

Postby Micromet » Aug 3rd, '18, 13:30

Have recently installed Mageia 6 after many years with Mageia 5 and 4. One of the menu items that I frequently used in Mageia 5 was the "Install & Remove Software" menu item which I also included in "Favourites". Yes - I know that this option is still in MCC in Mageia 6 - but is there any way to include this in the Menu list as a separate item. It's not a problem - just an inconvenience - but that may be how Mageia 6 is setup for good reason.
Last edited by Micromet on Aug 6th, '18, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Micromet

Re: Mageia 6 No "Install Software" item in Menu

Postby benmc » Aug 4th, '18, 00:25

if you still have Mageia welcome displayed, it is item 4 Install and remove software, below item 3, configure media sources and update system.

or just enter
Code: Select all
rpmdrake
in the search window from the menu or "alt+F2"
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 4th, '18, 04:31

You can just add a shortcut for that to the control panel. Although you didn't mention which desktop environment you're using.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Aug 4th, '18, 15:15

I'm running standard default Mageia 6 Plasma as my DE, but with the "Application Dashboard" panerl widget to list my menu items. I quite like this widget way of showing the menu - and it may be that it is the widget that doesn't have the option to attach the "Install & Remove Software" to my Favorites folder area. When I am "in" the MCC Software Management section - how do I make a shortcut to add to my Favorites folder? I note that there is a "Windows Shortcut" in the right click dropdown from the Window icon under "More Actions" but don't know quite what this does even when I tried it. I will do some more searching on this in the meantime - but any info would be apprecieted in the meanwhile.
Micromet

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '18, 11:47

Micromet wrote:When I am "in" the MCC Software Management section - how do I make a shortcut to add to my Favorites folder?

You don't. You create the shortcut in the menu, right-click it and "add as widget" I believe it's called.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Aug 5th, '18, 15:02

Thanks Doktor5000 - your suggestion works, as I know, for items that are currently in the menu tree. But "Install & Remove Software" is not a separate menu item as it was in Mageia 5 - but is inside the MCC Software Management section - and none of those items in the Software Management Section responds to a Right-Click. It may be that I cannot get a separate "Install & Remove Software" item into my favorites folder - and will just have to open the MCC from within my Favorites and then go into the Software management and then go into the "Install & Remove Software" option. Just seems like a backward step for KDE - "the most configurable Desktop Environment". Perhaps I could create a Menu Item for "rpmdrake" and do it that way - where is rpmdrake located?
Micromet

Postby Micromet » Aug 5th, '18, 15:10

OK - found rpmdrake (usr/bin/rpmdrake) - opened in expected fashion from Terminal. So will create a menu item for rpmdrake - unless someone comes up with an alternative solution.
Micromet

Postby Micromet » Aug 6th, '18, 14:43

Creating my own menu entry for rpmdrake worked OK - so will mark this as Solved.
Micromet

Return to Basic support