Cannot boot Mageia 6

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

Cannot boot Mageia 6

Postby MikeFinch » Jun 26th, '18, 05:29

My Desktop computer works well. However for some months now I have reverted to Mageia 5 on my laptop (the original, separate partition) because when I try to boot into M6 all I get is a black screen with the following message :

"[ 4.083499] kfd kfd:kgd2kfd-probe failed"

Why has this happened?

I managed to copy my Thunderbird hidden folder from M6 to M5 in Dolphin, so emails continue to work OK. Most of my serious work is done on the Desktop though.

Sometimes the M6 boot screen comes up for a few seconds; and when I leave, three lines of extra messages appear but only momentarily (so I haven't time to read/copy them).

Will I be able to rescue the M6 boot process without having to do a reinstall? I have tried a boot rescue using the install DVD but to no avail.

MikeFinch
MikeFinch

Re: Cannot boot Mageia 6

Postby benmc » Jun 26th, '18, 07:07

Hi MikeFinch
MikeFinch wrote:"[ 4.083499] kfd kfd:kgd2kfd-probe failed"

This now occurs for me after updated to a newer kernel, so I am guessing you have also.
how-ever for me, bootup continues as normal.

Have you attempted to select a previous kernel from your grub boot screen?
you could also try the fail-safe option or "esc" key during the bootup.

likely that your video driver is failing, but with limited info, it is only a guess.
in your Mageia5, what video card / driver are you using?
benmc

Postby morgano » Jun 26th, '18, 12:06

Can you boot mag6 into rescue mode, text only, and perform a full update? (may need wired ethernet)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby MikeFinch » Jun 27th, '18, 02:36

Thankyou benmc and morgano >> I tried several things and got umpteen messages; some lines had green OK signs. At least I can use M5 to get me by - until M7?
A few points that may be relevant >>
A) At my weekly linux group meetings I've had trouble for ages connecting to the Council's free wi-fi service. I usually have to reboot. This is for Mageia 5 also!
B) When I get home my laptop's name has usually changed. Why? It reverts back to the domain name. The change gives me an error message when I send an email in Thunderbird.
C) The broadcom wi-fi connection stopped working years ago. [ Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter ] Something called "wlp4s0b1" is used instead.
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron, now 7 years old.
Any help will be much appreciated!
MikeFinch
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Jun 27th, '18, 09:42

ok, so now we know that more is happening after that 4.083499 second report you opened with.

can you take a photo of where the text stops when you use "esc" or "failsafe mode" and post here.

as Morgano suggested, have you tried to update via command line?
If you dont know how, try the following:

connect a wired lan cable to your machine. ( you could use the wifi, but you may need to connect via command line. is this something you can do?)
in failsafe mode or after pressing "esc" eventually the text will come to a stop.
now, press together "ctrl"+ "alt" + "F2".
you should be presented with a tty terminal
enter your user name ( + press "enter" )
and then your user password. ( + press "enter" )
you should then be presented with a prompt with your user name. ($)
change to a root prompt
Code: Select all
# su -
password:
# urpmi --auto-update

please advise if there are any problems.

best regards
benmc

Postby MikeFinch » Jun 30th, '18, 06:27

Benmac > Thanks again for your response. For the last few days I have had a photo ready to send you, but my Samsung S4 just WILL NOT mount using Dolphin. A year or two ago it DID!! The USB connection charges the battery OK though. I've tried everything to mount the phone but to no avail.

So I am unable to send you the lines you need (about three lines seem to refer to Broadcom, which in my point C) doesn't work. Why?

It would be an extremely tedious job to type out each line manually. Do I need to?

My Friday morning linux group can't help me. Someone mentioned "a virus", but I think that was tongue-in-cheek.

This week my laptop DIDN'T change its name on returning home, but it did take me NINETY MINUTES to connect to the Council's free router at our Meeting. (We average a turnout of about seven most weeks). Our website is fridaycouncil.orgfree.com if you're interested.

Do you have any idea what is wrong? I seem to have multiple problems with this laptop of mine!

MikeFinch
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Jun 30th, '18, 09:58

Likelihood of a virus is low, but not impossible. I understand the first computer virii were created on and for unix machines.

when the text stops scrolling, are you able to invoke a tty terminal? (press "Cnrt" + "alt "+ "F2" ( or F3, F4, F5, F6, F7 or F8) together)
if you are, are you able to login to this terminal with your user, and password?
benmc

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 2nd, '18, 07:58

benmac > I am being driven mad. I wrote you a message but didn't save a draft. Then tried to attach the photo you wanted. Everything vanished (the photo was 3.8mb - too big). So then wrote a second message and saved a draft this time. WHERE IS THE DARNED THING?? I can't do an attachment to thin air!
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Jul 2nd, '18, 22:07

MikeFinch wrote: I can't do an attachment to thin air!

send it to me as a PM , see the top of this page when logged in, under "user control panel".

I will attach it to a reply (if possible)
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 3rd, '18, 01:19

MikeFinch wrote:Everything vanished (the photo was 3.8mb - too big). So then wrote a second message and saved a draft this time. WHERE IS THE DARNED THING?? I can't do an attachment to thin air!

If the attachment is not added because it's too big then it won't be saved with the draft either, it's not uploaded at all.

I've just changed the max. attachment size to 5MB, please try again.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 3rd, '18, 02:44

benmac & doktor5000 : the size of the attachment doesn't bother me (I reduced it from 3.8mb to 2.8). Anyway, here I go again >>>>

After using my Kindle cable to upload the photo you (benmac) wanted - the Samsung phone cable won't work!!! - I now attach the (original - 3.8mb) photo. In the middle there is a reference to Broadcom (one of my problems). Do the lines tell you anything - about my locked M6 or anything else?

Re the ctrl-alt-[functionkey] I have only tried F2 so far - nothing. (NB > with a Dell you have apparently to also press the Fn key). I tried both for F2.

Cheers MikeFinch

PS : didn't understand "send it to me as a PM , see the top of this page when logged in, under "user control panel".". Was it aimed at me or the good "Doktor" only?

PPS : I am sending this before I lose it!! I have sent attachments in the past but on this occasion I just cannot see how to make an attachment. All I see is "Submit / Full Editor". Am I supposed to use Full Editor? Probably so but I don't want to lose my message again.
MikeFinch

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 3rd, '18, 19:35

Regarding how to upload an attachment: Below the forum editor (only available in Full editor, not via quick reply), switch to the tab "Upload attachment".
Upload your picture, then when finished, click in the editor window where you want your picture to display, and click the button "Place inline".

I can't comment on the actual issue with your box not booting or whatnot because I don't see any screenshot here ...
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 4th, '18, 07:13

benmc > at long last > photo attached!!

20180628_110833.jpg
20180628_110833.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 3030 times
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Jul 4th, '18, 09:10

aha

at the bottom of the image, it says
login incorrect

so you can log in to a text mode screen?

do you have a wire lan cable to connect to the internet with?
benmc

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 5th, '18, 01:48

Yes; I use an ethernet cable for my Desktop and WiFi for my laptop.
MikeFinch

Postby benmc » Jul 5th, '18, 01:57

benmc wrote:so you can log in to a text mode screen?

connect the lan cable to the Dell, login to the text mode screen,

change to "root"
$ su -
password
# urpmi --auto-update"

advise if this fails
benmc

Postby MikeFinch » Jul 9th, '18, 08:58

benmc > the best I could do was get a <grub> prompt (tag?). Never mind - I can continue to use M5 until M7 appears.
I have once before reinstalled M6 so not keen to do it again!
Can you solve the other problems I mentioned?
Cheers
MikeFinch

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '18, 11:14

MikeFinch wrote:Can you solve the other problems I mentioned?

As a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread ;)
----
doktor5000

Return to Advanced support