MageiaUpdate broke LibreOffice; can't reinstall! [SOLVED]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

MageiaUpdate broke LibreOffice; can't reinstall! [SOLVED]

Postby Xhermin » Jun 7th, '18, 04:01

Since the usual solution is to uninstall the remainder of the suite and reinstall, I tried that. Trying to install either 32 or 64 bit versions of LO5.4.3.2 or LO5.4.7.2 generates the MCC error message "Sorry, the following package cannot be selected". Actually, 5.4.7.2_x85_64 seems to me missing. LibreOffice itself is up to version 6.x - at least on my Win10 box. I have Mageia 6, Plasma desktop, all current updates.
Code: Select all
uname -a

Linux localhost 4.14.44-desktop-2.mga6 #1 SMP Mon May 28 22:35:45 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

LibreOffice is an ABSOLUTE MUST for me, if this doesn't get solved for me, QUICKLY, this is a dealbreaker for me continuing to use this distro!!!
Last edited by Xhermin on Jun 7th, '18, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Xhermin

Re: MageiaUpdate broke LibreOffice; MCC won't let me reinsta

Postby daniewicz » Jun 7th, '18, 04:24

Have you recently updated your repositories?
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Postby benmc » Jun 7th, '18, 09:16

in a root terminal, what does
# urpmi libreoffice
return?
benmc

Postby wintpe » Jun 7th, '18, 11:19

when "Sorry, the following package cannot be selected" comes up, its usually that you have something installed thats incompatible with the packages available in the mageia repo.

as suggested by Benmc, using a a terminal
su -

enter root password

urpmi libreoffice

dont expect that to work, but the error it gives will be a much better clue to the problem to "Sorry, the following package cannot be selected"

it might be package incompatible with .......

removing that package, if its not tied into other packages may resolve the problem.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby Xhermin » Jun 7th, '18, 23:20

This is a relatively fresh Mageia6 install, the repos shoudn't need refreshing/tweaking this soon, but I'll try it. MageiaUpdate has previously been pretty good about dealing with repo shifts automatically. Stay tuned.
Xhermin

Postby Xhermin » Jun 7th, '18, 23:27

Shave my feet and paint me purple, that worked. I really need to learn urpmi, I'm so used to Debian-based apt/synaptik that I don't consider the alternatives.
Xhermin

Re: MageiaUpdate broke LibreOffice; can't reinstall! [SOLVED

Postby daniewicz » Jun 9th, '18, 03:13

Awesome! :D
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Return to Basic support