Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby marja » Nov 8th, '17, 17:01

AlBell wrote:After a total hardware change, I've decided to return to Linux, forever, for freedom, and I've chosen Mageia as the natural successor of my old preferred distribution.
(And I have a virtualized freeDos for the 80's nostalgia...)

Welcome back, AlBell!

Enjoy Mageia and our community.

If you'd like to contribute, most, if not all, teams can use more hands on deck :-D
marja

Postby nemmie » Nov 16th, '17, 21:11

Hello, my name is John and I been using Linux for six years now. It was not until this year I really started to dive into the real workings of Linux. My knowledge up to this point has been to keep to the GUI side of and make due, but now I want to get into the meat and potatoes of Linux. The friend who introduced me to Linux first started me out on Mandriva, then told me to switch over to Mageia about a year later. I have been using Mageia since Mageia 3 and loving every minuit of it.
nemmie

Postby Germ » Nov 16th, '17, 22:07

Hi John. Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

Stephen
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby marja » Nov 16th, '17, 22:09

nemmie wrote:Hello, my name is John and I been using Linux for six years now. It was not until this year I really started to dive into the real workings of Linux.

Welcome, John, and enjoy getting more fundamental knowledge about Linux! Mageia is a great place to learn.
marja

Postby caffilhobr » Nov 27th, '17, 14:21

nemmie wrote:Hello, my name is John and I been using Linux for six years now. It was not until this year I really started to dive into the real workings of Linux. My knowledge up to this point has been to keep to the GUI side of and make due, but now I want to get into the meat and potatoes of Linux. The friend who introduced me to Linux first started me out on Mandriva, then told me to switch over to Mageia about a year later. I have been using Mageia since Mageia 3 and loving every minuit of it.

Hello John. Welcome to the forum.
caffilhobr

Postby meurglys » Dec 4th, '17, 20:45

Greetings, Robert from Canada here. I'm a long-time linux user, having cut my teeth with Mandrake 6, back in the day For the most part, I've been primarily an antiX or Slackware user, but have distro-hopped quite a bit over the years.

I though I'd give Mageia 6 a spin, having used a 32-bit Plasma edition of ROSA. So far, so good! Looks like a lot of hard work and effort have gone into making Mageia a truly polished disrto.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Robert
meurglys

Postby Germ » Dec 4th, '17, 21:58

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Mageia! :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby meurglys » Dec 4th, '17, 22:14

Thx Germ! :-)
meurglys

Postby solarwarrior » Dec 5th, '17, 10:40

Hi there from New Zealand. I am completely new to Linux. I have always wanted to try it for a few years. I have an HP Pavilion t660a desktop which used to run XP. Crashed irretrievably and trial cd of windows 7 beta briefly brought it back to life. The only things that would run were PCUser OS and Ubuntu 8.04. Since then I have put Linux Mint Xfce on it and seeing Mageia, downloaded an ISO and loaded that. What a dream. I am still trying to get connected to the net though. All my posts here are via a Windows 10 desktop. I really look forward to learning to work with Linux.
solarwarrior

Postby isadora » Dec 5th, '17, 13:04

A very warm welcome solarwarrior!!!! :)

Great to hear your desktop revived to a second life by the magic of Mageia.
For your network-issues you can open (or probably already have opened) a topic in the network-section.

Have magical times around, and when feeling to build together with us, don't hesitate:
https://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/

And for newcomers i can also advise, to have a look at:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Newcomers_start_here
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby newmo » Dec 8th, '17, 00:54

Hi I'm Erik I am hardly a newcomer but never got round to saying hello. Been with Mageia since Mag 4 and just upgraded the other week from 5 to 6. The experience over the years has been Magic!

It has been the first distro which really pushed Windows aside for me. When I sit down to take on a new task I have a great feeling of confidence in it to have the right tools and capabilities to help me achieve my end. Thanks to the whole team well done with the latest release (though I loved 4 and 5 too)
newmo

Postby benmc » Dec 8th, '17, 01:41

Hi newmo,

Welcome aboard.
newmo wrote:The experience over the years has been Magic!

No need to preach to the converted ;) .
benmc

Postby dullblade2 » Feb 25th, '18, 18:27

hullo everyone ! - just discovered Mageia after several years of using other linux distros and I am impressed with how fluid it is and also with the thorough documentation it provides.
I am one of the great unwashed who use linux without knowing much about it, except that it makes it possible for me to do most of the things that I want to do without confusion.
I listened to Linus Torvalds's Ted Talk this morning from my 'new install' of Mga - https://youtu.be/o8NPllzkFhE - from 2016, and think that embracing linux in general is a much better choice than following the standard development of MS or Mac, and Mageia seems to be implementing the evolving vision of open source with great élan and precision.
So thanks to all of you who have been involved in it's development.
I would like to say that most of the intricacies of command line are way above my pay grade and I do not think I will be making much headway in that department, since I am pushing 7 decades, but the sky is the limit in this community and with linux and I love that. Best regards to all of you today and please excuse my dull bladed approach if you encounter any of my random comments on the forums. By the way, I also go to diaspora - https://freehuman.fr/ - which is also based in France, I believe, so perhaps I am also becoming a bit of a Francophile - BONNE CHANCE
dullblade2

Postby isadora » Feb 28th, '18, 07:27

Thanks for your great introduction dullblade2!!!! :)

And also thanks for the positive words about our distribution.
It's Mageia 6 now, and the team of volunteers is working hard on the follow-up.
Enthusiastically, that is the spirit to get great results.

But also always short on hands, and so i also invite you to let whatever dullness shine just by adding to this magical Linux-distro:
https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/contribute/

And finally, have magical times with Mageia!!!! :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby jeff33 » Mar 25th, '18, 18:53

I am Jeff Trueg.
jeff33

Postby korfuntu » Apr 4th, '18, 03:39

Hello to all!!!

I have been a life-long user of Microsoft Windows, but I have been seriously looking at Linux distros as a possible replacement for most of my desktop and laptop computers. I am concerned that Microsoft, Apple and Google want to gather up our user information and sell it. With Linux supported by a large and growing community of "free spirit" users, without a major for-profit corporation trying to make huge sums of money from the Linux infrastructure, I think I will be happier moving to Linux than I will staying with Microsoft, Google or Apple.

I have tried out all the well-known distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, and Linux Mint, among others. I also tried out Manjaro and really like it, however I have one Acer AspireOne netbook that runs on 32-bit processors, and Manjaro is ceasing support for 32-bit CPU's. So I have been looking for an alternative for the Acer and ran across an article discussing 32-bit Linux distros. I tried a number of them, but apparently the Ubuntu-based distros version 16.04 or higher have a hardware problem with my Acer. When I installed Mageia, it worked like a champ! I've loaded V6 on my Acer and will give it a good workout. If it turns out to be a useful and stable OS, I will consider installing it on my other PC's, most of whom I set up to dual-boot into Windows and Linux.

Now that I'm retired, I have the time to lend a hand, and will be looking for opportunities to contribute to the community. I'm happy to be here and looking forward to building relationships with as many of you as I can.

One question, please...Can someone provide me with the phonetic pronunciation of 'Mageia'? If I'm going to talk about it to others, I don't want to sound like a fool.
korfuntu

Postby jeff33 » Apr 4th, '18, 21:03

Welcome!
jeff33

Postby jeff33 » Apr 4th, '18, 21:04

Ma-Gay-Ya is the pronunciation.
jeff33

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 21:55

Welcome korfuntu :)

There is no official pronunciation, you can use whichever one you like :) https://wiki.mageia.org/en/FAQ

We have lots of other good reading in the wiki too https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation

But it seems you are already having a good start, great!

Help is always welcome. Helping on forum, proofreading or creating documentation, report problems clearly, test new versions before release, spreading the word...
Have a look around https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Contributing

Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Main_Page under "Mageia Users" and "Contributors corner".
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby jeff33 » Apr 4th, '18, 22:05

Sorry my answer was wrong there is no official pronunciation
jeff33

Postby benmc » Apr 4th, '18, 22:08

jeff33 wrote:I am Jeff Trueg.

Hi Jeff33 and welcome to Mageia.

I hope you enjoy your Mageia Linux experience

regards

Benmc
benmc

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 22:26

Oh, yes hi and Welcome Jeff too!
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby jeff33 » Apr 5th, '18, 09:30

Yes, I very much enjoy my Mageia Linux experience. Thank you.
jeff33

Postby apkerr » May 23rd, '18, 21:13

Hi All,

I actually joined this community quite a while ago. Searching for my name, it appears as though I had some Wi-Fi issues on my laptop back in 2011. Perhaps that is why I abandoned Mageia back then.

I spend the majority of my working hours in Linux (mainly RHEL and Ubuntu), so that's what I've had on my desktop at home for the most part as well.

I had recently heard how wonderful Manjaro is, so I installed that a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I got back from a weekend away and went to process some pictures in Darktable only to find that it wouldn't open the Canon raw files -- complaining about not being able to read the white balance information. I fiddled around for a couple hours trying to figure out why Darktable didn't like those files (something I hadn't seen before when I was in Fedora), to no avail. Then an update to a theme came in and I installed it. The next time I booted up I had lost all the window decorations and could no longer move windows around or resize them.

So then I had a decision, spend time trying to figure this stuff out or spend probably less time and just try out a different distro. I decided to give Mageia another try. I'll be installing it tonight and, if all seems good, it will become my home OS for the foreseeable future.

I work in software QA, so it's possible that I may be able to contribute in QA or Documentation. That all depends on how my experience goes over the next few weeks. :)
apkerr

Postby morgano » May 24th, '18, 11:28

Welcome back Andrew
I saw your name in an old post :) You also wrote you was a student and wanted to learn Linux for your employability and now you write you work in Linux - well done !

Mageia is like before, just developed. I have been using it since 2006 (Mandriva)

Here is a nice page with useful links: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation

Contributing is always welcome. Myself do a tiny bit of QA and wiki. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Contributing

Mageia 6 recently got a big slew of updates to Qt, KDE, Plasma. - You will find a lot of updates especially if you use Plasma. A spin of updated Mageia 6 isos will be released soon, dubbed version 6.1.

/Morgan
morgano

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board