[CLOSED] Black screen after login to 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[CLOSED] Black screen after login to 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

Postby marchugo » Apr 3rd, '18, 17:31

Hi,

This morning I upgraded my 64 bit PC with Nvidia Geforce 6200 video card, to kernel 4.14.30 via the updater icon.
After restarting the login screen appears, then after filling in my username and pw the system comes to a halt, leaving me with a black screen.

Until today the system worked perfectly smooth, no problems.

I tested my graphics card by launching a Ubuntu cd, which gives me a working graphical desktop, so the hardware seems ok.
I ran journalctl -xb, as suggested by the system, but this journal seems to be stopped somewhere half way booting.

Using the grub command line with the command videoifo, results in no error messages, only the info that the adapter is “ VGA Video driver” (no info avalilable).

Then I rebooted into the previous kernel 4.14.25. This too results in a black screen directly after the login screen.

I am not too smart with systems, and I do not know how to repair this situation.

Further I removed silent splash from the boot line. Same result: black screen.

Booting into IceWm also did not help.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Marc.
Last edited by marchugo on May 18th, '18, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.
marchugo

Re: Black screen after upgrading to kernel 4.14.30 Mageia Y.

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 01:33

marchugo wrote:Hi,

This morning I upgraded my 64 bit PC with Nvidia Geforce 6200 video card, to kernel 4.14.30 via the updater icon.
Mageia *6* ?
After restarting the login screen appears, then after filling in my username and pw the system comes to a halt, leaving me with a black screen.
At that point, if you press Ctrl-Alt-F2, do you get to a prompt?
If so you can type "root", enter, and root password

If you can not reach a prompt using Ctrl-Alt-F2, then reboot and in grub menu select failsafe, to boot to text mode.

Maybe your mirror was out of sync in the update and something needed did not come in, so try updating now: issue
Code: Select all
urpmi --auto-up

If this is when booted in failsafe mode you need ethernet (not wifi) connection for updating, or if you need wifi ask and maybe someone can guide how to wake wifi up at this point.

Another idea to try is to select another graphics driver: issue
drakx11
At the bottom of the list there is xorg nouveau, which is the free/libre driver for Nvidia cards.
(i am not sure it works for that old card, but try. if not, try xorg vesa )
Then reboot. If we manage to get to desktop, everything is easier.

Further I removed silent splash from the boot line.
Good. That way you see more log messages.
Did you see anything about nvidia or other failing in some way?

kernel 4.14.25. This too results in a black screen directly after the login screen.
Booting into IceWm also did not help.
So something is really wrong with graphics.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby wintpe » Apr 4th, '18, 10:24

did i not see nvidia driver updates in the recent round.
perhaps its that rather than the kernel that is at issue.
try downgrading that if im right.
if you can get a text prompt rpm -qa --last|more will show you recently installed rpm's
if nvidia is in that it might be the one responsible for your black screen.

I wonder if like the FX5200 the 6200 (which is basically the same card) has also fallen off the list of working cards.
if you have a 64 bit system, as already said by morgano, this is a very old card, and perhaps time to get something a bit newer.

kde/plasma uses the acceleration features of these cards, and it makes a big difference to performance.
ebay is loaded with thousands of second hand graphics cards, you dont have to buy new.

i have a FX5200, and FX6200 and a 7300GT all AGP cards, and the last time i checked (not this month) it was so slow it was not useable, although it did work

the 7300GT is in my opinion the minimum performance that will run kde/plasma5

is your system one of the early 64 bit agp systems or is it PCI-e

for example i have a GTX650 and that works with the latest driver

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphics-Car ... 0507.m3226

thats only £34

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby marchugo » Apr 4th, '18, 12:02

Hi morgano, thanks for your suggestions.

My system is indeed Mga 6, can’t change the name of my topic, sorry.

I tried to get a prompt with ctrl-alt-f2, but no prompt appears.

However, by signing in as root, instead of normal user, I managed to get a desktop, but with a frozen cursor, so I can’t navigate graphically. I have an internet connection under root.

During boot up, I do not see any warnings or errors in the messages.

Opening a console from the K-menu, I did urpmi —auto-up, which resulted in messages that all mediums are up to date. I had to update 4 packages (lib4rpm, python2-rpm, python3-rpm and rpm, which seem to me just regular updates).
Then I had to install a further 64 packages, like gstreamer, wayland, vlc, quicktime, openssl, which also seem to be regular updates, nothing like graphical packages.

After reboot, I can login again to the root desktop, but again with a frozen cursor. A xmessage window however says: “Couldn’t start. Ksmserver”. Could this be the problem?

(I still cannot login as normal user, this results in a black screen right after logging in).

As I can open a konsole, I’m interested to hear of any command line commands I can try to solve my problem.

Regards,
Marc.

PS: I now had a glance at the file dmesg, but no warnings or errors to be seen.
Dmesg has a few lines at the end in which nvidia seems to be loaded, don’t know if this is the normal procedure:

Nvidia: loading out of tree module taints kernel
Nvidia: module license ‘Nvidia’ taints kernel
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Acpi: PCI interrupt link (APC3) enabled at IRQ 18
Nvidia 0000:05:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem, decodes=none:owns=io+mem
[drm] initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20150116 for 0000.:05:00.0 on minor 0
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 kenel module 304.137 Thu Sep 14 13:51:03 PDT 2017
Device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
Device-mapper: ioctl: 4.37.0-ioctl (2017-09-20) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
( here ends the file dmesg, is that normal?)

@wintp. Peter, Thanks for your suggestions, will try them tomorrow. Have to go to work now on the Mac of my wife...

Indeed maybe a change of graphics card could be due. I have PCI Express slots (the Nvidia Nforce4 is build in on the chipset) and ATA133 IDE slots. The processor is AMD athlon 64 3000+, dated 2005. This pc runs for 13 years without a hickup with Mandrake, Mandriva and now Mageia.

Maybe I should find a new motherboard, but not sure what to buy at the moment, as Spectre and Meltdown bugs are not ironed out of the actual processors for sale from from AMD and Intel. Apparently I have to wait some more months...
Last edited by marchugo on Apr 4th, '18, 12:55, edited 3 times in total.
marchugo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 4th, '18, 12:40

Please next time do not use fullquotes, but only use the Reply function. Greatly improves clarity and reading flow ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Apr 4th, '18, 17:19

marchugo

amd 3000+ is that the single core 1.8 gig.

then im not sure you need a motherboard although you might want to consider it, but maybe your motherboard would take a fster chip, and while your updating your graphics from ebay these are quite literaly cheap as chips.

you may find your motherboard will take anything upto a athlon 6400+, check the cpu supported list and then see what you can find on ebay.

more memory if possible as well.

but at the end of the day you have to balance spending on second hand money that could go new a new rig, only you will know
when to stop throwing good money at old. But the upgrades ive suggested could make life much more interesting.

perhaps an SSD as well that can make a whole difference.

anyway i dont want to turn this thread into a hardware one so ill leave those suggestions at that.

regards peter
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby morgano » Apr 4th, '18, 20:59

You still have problem when booting kernel 4.14.25, which you say was working OK with desktop ?

In the konsole, try to use drakx11 per my first post.

Side note: I had a 32 bit machine with Geforce 6200 that worked OK for simple office stuff with KDE4.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Re: Black screen after logi 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

Postby marchugo » Apr 5th, '18, 11:38

@morgano,
@wintpe

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to upgrade to another graphics card.

The problem with the black screen after login is still there for my normal user.

But: now that I can login as root on a graphical desktop, I was able to add a new test user. Login in as test user works o.k.

So I doubt wether my problem with the black screen has anything to do with the upgrade to kernel 4.14.30.
I also doubt wether it has anything to do with my graphics card, as the graphical desktop is behaving normally under the test user. Don' t need to try drakx11 or other graphical environments.

Of course the problem with black screen of the normal user remains unsolved. Maybe the account of the normal user is damaged somewhere? Any idea how to find the cause of the black screen? Where do I start to look?

BTW: is there a trick to copy the account of my normal user to a new user, so that I can keep all my stuff in the account? Or will copying the account just copy the problem of the black screen to the new user?

Regards,
Marc.
marchugo

Re: Black screen after logi 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 5th, '18, 14:00

marchugo wrote:Of course the problem with black screen of the normal user remains unsolved. Maybe the account of the normal user is damaged somewhere? Any idea how to find the cause of the black screen? Where do I start to look?

You could switch to any tty (by pressing e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) when you are at the display manager / login screen, then login as root, and run
journalctl -af | tee /tmp/journal.log

Then switch back to your graphical session, and login as your regular user. Wait half a minute or so to be safe nothing happens. Then reboot, and attach /tmp/journal.log here, and also the /home/username/.xsession-errors
and mention the time at which you tried to login so it can be correlated with the logfiles.

marchugo wrote:BTW: is there a trick to copy the account of my normal user to a new user, so that I can keep all my stuff in the account? Or will copying the account just copy the problem of the black screen to the new user?

Unless you know where the issues originates from, if you just copy the whole user folder over, you will most certainly also copy over the problem.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 5th, '18, 21:53

One idea - i did similar to this a few years back:
If space is enough make a full copy (i.e using cp- a) if your /home/youruser to /home/youruser-backup
/!\ - do that while not logged in as that user!

Then (re)move/rename KDE plasma configurations, then log into it and fresh configurations is made.
If it works then customise Palsma like you want it, reboot and see if still OK.
When that works, put back configurations of some programs that need such.

Currently i do not know where all configuration is... maybe some other can correct...
~./config/
~./kde/
~./kde4/
~./local/
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 5th, '18, 22:11

morgano wrote:One idea - i did similar to this a few years back:
If space is enough make a full copy (i.e using cp- a) if your /home/youruser to /home/youruser-backup
/!\ - do that while not logged in as that user!

No need to create a complete copy for that, simply rename the folders so new ones get created with default configuration, and you still have your old settings available.
----
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Apr 6th, '18, 11:56

I updated my 32 bit system with the 7300GT this morning

ive also now got a blackscreen

watch this space while i try to fix it

regards peter
wintpe

Postby wintpe » Apr 10th, '18, 15:59

sorry, just to say i never successfully fixed this.

mine ended up being a library conflict that is effecting sddm, and i cant fix it, so rebuild.

im not suggesting that your issue, so please dont follow me unless you feel theres not solution.

mines just my test host for QA

regards peter
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 10th, '18, 20:06

wintpe wrote:mine ended up being a library conflict that is effecting sddm, and i cant fix it, so rebuild.

Mind to share what conflict in particular?

Apart from that, it seems this issue is about older Geforce chips, so those which are not supported by nvidia-current but from this thread seems only the nvidia304 variant is affected, so Geforce 6xxx - 7xxx cards
----
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Apr 11th, '18, 10:18

wintpe, to clarify: you mean a fresh install + updating works without problem?

IF there is/was a problem with SDDM, it can be uninstalled if there is some other DM installed and chosen.
(task-plasma, task-plasma-minimal will get uninstalled which is suboptimal, but to get it going...)

I believe historically, SDDM have always been the most problematic DM so why not now also...
morgano

Postby wintpe » Apr 11th, '18, 10:51

To: Doctor, posted problem to discuss mailing list same time i posted that i have the problem too.

ive am still to rebuild, not had time, so i cant answer wether the problem comes back yet.

but i have tried to remove and re-install stuff.

and im just going round in circles at the mo with it.

i got it working with an alternative login manager, the one that comes with lxde, and then the desktop hangs and looking at the processes goes into a never ending migration,

whats odd is that my two 64 bit machines both updated no problem and no library problems.

see 3 emails last posted by me, 6th april

for now consider this a closed issue, for me , im just going to rebuild.

regards peter
wintpe

Re: Black screen after login 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

Postby marchugo » Apr 13th, '18, 15:02

Thanks for your time Doktor.
Some days after your post, after a restart I was suddenly able to login as normal user in the graphical desktop environment. No idea what made the problem disappear, I only remember it was after I updated a couple of RPMs via the updater. So I think it is of no use to produce a journal log here, now that my black screen has gone.

I tend to close this post, but not as 'solved', since I still do not know what caused the problem. Besides, user wintpe has stumbled into a kind of blackscreen too, so I'll leave the post open.

BTW, I can't find a file called /home/username/.xsession-errors. Maybe I should look for a different name?

Anyway thanks to all the folks who gave me advice.

Regards,
Marc.

You could switch to any tty (by pressing e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) when you are at the display manager / login screen, then login as root, and run
journalctl -af | tee /tmp/journal.log

Then switch back to your graphical session, and login as your regular user. Wait half a minute or so to be safe nothing happens. Then reboot, and attach /tmp/journal.log here, and also the /home/username/.xsession-errors
and mention the time at which you tried to login so it can be correlated with the logfiles.
marchugo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 13th, '18, 18:45

marchugo wrote:BTW, I can't find a file called /home/username/.xsession-errors. Maybe I should look for a different name?

Well, username is meant as a placeholder there, so if your username is marchugo, then it would be /home/marchugo/.xsession-errors
You can also write that as ~/.xsession-errors as ~ is short for your home folder.
----
doktor5000

Postby marchugo » Apr 13th, '18, 20:35

Thanks. Sure I know what is a placeholder. In my system there is no file “xsession-errors”, using locate, nor in user, nor in root.

Regards,
Marc
Last edited by doktor5000 on Apr 13th, '18, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
marchugo

Re: Black screen after login to 4.14.30 Mageia 6.

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 13th, '18, 22:14

It's .xsession-errors which means it's a "hidden" file, not sure if locate picks up dotfiles by default.

Can you show the output as normal user of
ls -al ~/.xsession-errors
----
doktor5000

Postby marchugo » Apr 14th, '18, 10:54

If I ask locate .bashrc, the answer is: /etc/skel/.bashrc
When I ask locate .xsession-errors, then nothing is found
If I ask find .xsession-errors, the answer is: no such file or directory
(Did this as root and as user)
Seems there is no .xsession-errors on my machine.

Regards,
Marc.
marchugo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 14th, '18, 11:23

marchugo wrote:If I ask locate .bashrc, the answer is: /etc/skel/.bashrc

Well, there's definitely a .bashrc in your user folder, maybe your mlocate database is not current. But as you didn't want to show output of ls -al ~/.xsession-errors we'll never know.
----
doktor5000

Postby marchugo » Apr 14th, '18, 11:53

I did, but this was the result:

$ ls -al ~/.xsession-errors
ls: cannot access ‘home/marc/.xsession-errors’: No such file or directory

Same under root

I have a folder in usr/share called xsessions, but it only contains some configuration files, like 01plasma.desktop, icewm-session.desktop and icewm.desktop. In these config files there is no reference to .xsession-errors.

Marc.
marchugo

Postby marchugo » May 18th, '18, 15:59

After doing the Big Update, my system behaves normally at boot up. So I mark this item as closed.

Marc.
marchugo

Return to Basic support