[SOLVED] Is Mageia 5 still downloadable anywhere?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Is Mageia 5 still downloadable anywhere?

Postby Xhermin » Feb 11th, '18, 07:34

I have a friend's eeePC that needs a new OS, Mageia 5.x actually works on it, but the only install disk I have is the Live version, which only has KDE & Gnome. I want to reinstall it with a lighter-weight DE (probably XFCE) to conserve the very very limited disk space (20GB total) on the machine. Am I out of luck here or not?
Last edited by Xhermin on Feb 15th, '18, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Xhermin

Re: Is Mageia 5 still downloadable anywhere?

Postby jkerr82508 » Feb 11th, '18, 10:18

All of the Mageia iso files are available on the Mageia mirrors in the iso directory. For example:
ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/iso/

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby filip » Feb 11th, '18, 17:05

Xhermin wrote:I have a friend's eeePC that needs a new OS, Mageia 5.x actually works on it, but the only install disk I have is the Live version, which only has KDE & Gnome. I want to reinstall it with a lighter-weight DE (probably XFCE) to conserve the very very limited disk space (20GB total) on the machine. Am I out of luck here or not?

All versions are still downloadable. Mageia 5 is here for example.

Good luck with eeePC. I struggled with one almost a decade ago. Unfortunately friend expected a server class performance so IIRC it didn't last long. I would first try Mageia 6 XFCE before 5 tough.
Plasma 5 pushed me over the edge to try XFCE. It's a bit different to set up but actually very logical. Overall I'm very happy with it :D.
filip

Postby Xhermin » Feb 12th, '18, 00:46

Is Mageia 6 available in 32-bit? That's what the eeePC's cpu is. Otherwise, I'll have to stick with 5.1. I looked at the available community builds, didn't see any such, but I admit I could have simply missed it. Thanks for the link, a way to it wasn't obvious to me from the main Mageia page. Also: I just found my old 5.1 Classic install disk so, assuming the disk didn't get scratched, I won't need to immediately re-download the iso, but probably will anyway. My friend just wants something to keep herself entertained with during her frequent hospital visits (for either herself or her daughter), she has a "real" laptop for her day-to-day surfing that she'd rather not take to the hospital...
Xhermin

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 12th, '18, 00:52

Xhermin wrote:Is Mageia 6 available in 32-bit?

Sure, any Mageia released so far is available in both i586 and x86_64.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Feb 12th, '18, 17:55

plasma needs a good graphics card , it actually makes use of the acceleration features.
I found this out building a 586 test PC for mageia.

for example FX5200 FX 6100 just completely go in slow motion on plasma, whereas a 7300GT is completely usable.

so for anyone else considering 32 bit, if you dont have a good graphics card stick to the lighter desktops, its not just the processors
capability.

for 64 bit you might have enough horse power to counter a poor graphics card.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby Xhermin » Feb 13th, '18, 03:28

doktor5000 wrote:
Xhermin wrote:Is Mageia 6 available in 32-bit?

Sure, any Mageia released so far is available in both i586 and x86_64.

It seemed like I was being steered towards x86_64 version on the download link, because the machine I was downloading to (not the intended install box) was a modern netbook. Unless the iso is dual-arch?
Xhermin

Postby Xhermin » Feb 13th, '18, 03:30

wintpe wrote:plasma needs a good graphics card , it actually makes use of the acceleration features.
I found this out building a 586 test PC for mageia.

for example FX5200 FX 6100 just completely go in slow motion on plasma, whereas a 7300GT is completely usable.

so for anyone else considering 32 bit, if you dont have a good graphics card stick to the lighter desktops, its not just the processors
capability.

for 64 bit you might have enough horse power to counter a poor graphics card.

regards peter

Granted, but if one is installing to a laptop, there is much less (if any) ability to change internal hardware :)
Xhermin

Postby Ken-Bergen » Feb 13th, '18, 03:46

Xhermin wrote: Unless the iso is dual-arch?
The Dual-Arch was dropped after Mageia 5.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Re: [SOLVED] Is Mageia 5 still downloadable anywhere?

Postby Xhermin » Feb 15th, '18, 05:52

Found it. The "steered" download link was the glossy professional-looking version of the site, not the more text-oriented "community" page. I'm also running M6 on the netbook I'm typing this on. Will put 32-bit M6 on the eeePC as well, now that I have it.
Xhermin

Return to Basic support