Dropbox not working anymore on MGA 6

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Re: Dropbox not working anymore on MGA 6

Postby Erik » Dec 4th, '17, 15:27

Dear Rolf,

yes, I do. Some time ago I had to remove a whole bunch off libqt5 files too, but not anymore. Everything worked until the latest update of Dropbox. From then on I cannot open Firefox anymore via the Dropbox icon in the system tray, but need to login to Dropbox via a bookmark in Firefox. Let us hope that with the next update this problem will be solved too. In Rosalinux Fresh R9 I have the same problem; in Linux Mint Mate everything works as expected. This is why I suspect that there is some incompatibility between the KDE (Plasma) oriented Mageia/Rosa and the latest version of Dropbox.

Good luck with your wrestling to get Dropbox functioning.

Erik
Erik

Postby rolf » Dec 4th, '17, 16:18

20171204_dropboxmenu.png
20171204_dropboxmenu.png (37.65 KiB) Viewed 8078 times

So far, using 32-bit, I'm not missing any functionality. That "Launch Dropbox Website" opened in gedit as text, at first. It was a file, placed in /tmp by clicking that entry, and had the form: dbxlxxxxxx.html but is not an html file. Right-clicking in the file browser, it appears to be a script and I employed the "Open with" item to set it to open in my default browser, Seamonkey. "Launch Dropbox Website" now opens in Seamonkey. One drawback is that other such scripts might now open in Seamonkey but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it. ;)

The "Open Dropbox Folder" does the same as a "Nautilus-Dropbox" icon on the plasma desktop I had created with the application menu editor and consists of the command:

nautilus --no-desktop /home/rolf/Dropbox

copyq-screenshot_20170730_174429-whoru.png
copyq-screenshot_20170730_174429-whoru.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 8078 times

In the "Dropbox Folder", files have a green checked icon when files are synced, a blue syncing icon when files are syncing, and no icon when dropbox is not working. The right-click menu provides a link to any file, not just under Public, that can be used by anyone I give it to.

Having installed the required 32-bit libraries, I'm hopeful dropbox will continue to work when it upgrades itself, assuming it will honor the 32-bit nature of the existing installation. Otherwise, I'll keep your tip in mind, thanks!
rolf

Postby Erik » Dec 4th, '17, 16:50

Dear Rolf,
thank you for your comment. I tried the same on my computer, and set the python file that ends in ".html" in tmp to open with Firefox. I did not know that this is a script file. Now Everything works as expected. thank you. I do not ever edit such files, so I hope that no problems will arise.

Thanks a lot.

Greetings

Erik
Erik

Postby mab33 » Dec 6th, '17, 19:20

Erik wrote:Dear Rolf,

the newest version of Dropbox will "work" under Mageia 6 (I have the 64-bit version) if you remove the file "libdrm.so.2". ... The moment you don't see the icon in the system tray, you know that it has updated itself. Perhaps you must remove libdrm.so.2 again.
Erik

Thank you so much for the tip. Erik, which allowed me to get Dropbox working again on a UEFI Plasma install of 64-bit Mageia-6 on my laptop.
Oddly, though, the libdrm.so.2 file *is* in the ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86-39.4.49 file on the non-UEFI install of the same Mageia-6 .iso on my desktop, and there has been no Dropbox problem there...

But - as you say - one has to watch out for Dropbox updates restoring the deleted file!
mab33

Postby morgano » Dec 7th, '17, 00:33

Wow, many thanks!

Dropbox have for years not worked on my wifes laptop. Now I renamed that file (instead of deleting) and it worked - almost;
it started OK, system tray icon was visible and indicated it was syncing, its menu worked, dropbox site saw the client, wanted to sync 30 files, but it did not actually sync nor update itself for some minutes. This was the old version 14.4.19.

I then stopped it, removed ~/.dropbox-dist/ and downloaded the latest version. I got it from http://www.dropboxforum.com click Beta testers, and found a couple hours old "Stable Build 40.4.46" with a download link https://clientupdates.dropboxstatic.com ... .46.tar.gz I unpacked it in ~ , creating ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-40.4.46

Tested it as it was, but no icon nor sync, so I stopped it and again renamed /.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-40.4.46/libdrm.so.2 (prepended it "__RENAMED__") started it and it was all OK: syncing fully, icon working :)

Really puzzleing that it works on some systems, not on some others

On my desktop it have now updated itself to same version and still runs with original files.

Both computers have SSD as sda, with "msdos" partition table, use LVM and LUKS, both are over two year old 64 bit cauldrons now following mga6, both runs Plasma, have Intel CPU...
Differences i can think of Desktop / Laptop:
CPU: i7 / Core2Duo
GPU: Nvidia(proprietary driver) / ATI
Other hardware differences: Chipsets, network interfaces, workstation have two more disks, screen resolution, ...
Initial install: mga5(migrated in pain 2+ years ago to cauldron) / cauldron
They do not have all the same program installs, more changes and old stuff on the workstation.

I guess we can mark this thread [SOLVED] or maybe more precisely [WORKAROUND]
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby rolf » Dec 7th, '17, 04:30

the newest version of Dropbox will "work" under Mageia 6 (I have the 64-bit version) if you remove the file "libdrm.so.2". (I am not quite sure about the ".2). You won't be able to get to dropbox.com via the icon in the system tray, but it will work otherwise. I log in to dropbox.com via Firefox for a link. The moment you don't see the icon in the system tray, you know that it has updated itself. Perhaps you must remove libdrm.so.2 again.

Good luck with Dropbox.

Erik

Although I had hoped the 32-bit installation would update automatically to the next 32-bit release, I just found it had updated to the 64-bit version and promptly seg-faulted.

So, i removed the file you have discovered is the current blocker:

rm -f .dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-40.4.46/libdrm.so.2

and re-ran dropboxd. The page to connect my machine at dropbox.com opened in my browser, I authorized that, and dropbox seems to be up and running, knock, again, on wood.

Thanks for keeping us limping along with this devil, Erik!
rolf

Postby aselluza » Dec 14th, '17, 09:22

I also solve the problem removing libdrm.so after every update. I might be wrong, but I guess libdrm checks digital rigths and, as we all are using free software (that's the main point of using Linux) it blocks the use of dropbox. If that's right I wonder if it has any sense to keep a library that checks the use of digital rights in a free OS, and if the only purpose of that library is something that acts against free software and copyleft philosophy, shouldn't it be more logic, if possible, to pack dropbox rpm whitout libdrm.so library? Dropbox can keep DRM checking for Windows if they want, but should we admit any program to check DRM in our computers when we support the free use of software? I would be a great advance, in my opinion, to eliminate all libraries created to check DRM from all software used in Linux distros...
aselluza

Postby rolf » Dec 14th, '17, 13:30

Code: Select all
[rolf@z68x ~]$ urpmq --sources dropbox
rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib/6/x86_64/media/nonfree/release/dropbox-2015.10.28-1.mga6.nonfree.x86_64.rpm
[rolf@z68x ~]$ urpmq -l dropbox
/usr/bin/dropbox
/usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/dropbox.png
/usr/share/man/man1/dropbox.1.xz
[rolf@z68x ~]$ less /usr/bin/dropbox
[...]
DOWNLOAD_LOCATION_FMT = "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=%s"
SIGNATURE_LOCATION_FMT = "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=%s&signature=1"

DOWNLOADING = u"Downloading Dropbox... %d%%"
UNPACKING = u"Unpacking Dropbox... %d%%"

PARENT_DIR = os.path.expanduser("~")
DROPBOXD_PATH = "%s/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd" % PARENT_DIR
DESKTOP_FILE = u"/usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop"
[...]

I think you can see the rpm contains a script to download dropbox from dropbox.com and the actual dropbox program is contained in that download, including libdrm.so.2
rolf

Postby aselluza » Dec 14th, '17, 13:38

I see, I was afraid there was no way to eliminate that library from the rpm... thanx!!
aselluza

Postby mab33 » Dec 14th, '17, 13:39

Well, there is also a libdrm.so.2 in /usr/lib64...
Also, the version in ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_xxxxx of both Mageia-6 and Mageia-5 on my desktop does not cause a dropbox problem, nor on UEFI install of Mageia-5 on laptop.

The one that was blocking Dropbox was on the laptop's UEFI install of Mageia-6.
mab33

Postby rolf » Dec 14th, '17, 14:10

mab33 wrote:Well, there is also a libdrm.so.2 in /usr/lib64...

Yes, it's needed by a lot of packages:

[rolf@z68x ~]$ urpmf libdrm.so.2
lib64drm2:/usr/lib64/libdrm.so.2
lib64drm2:/usr/lib64/libdrm.so.2.4.0
libdrm2:/usr/lib/libdrm.so.2
libdrm2:/usr/lib/libdrm.so.2.4.0
[...]

[rolf@z68x ~]$ urpmq --whatrequires lib64drm2         
drm-utils
fbida
glmark2
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
gstreamer1.0-vaapi
intel-gpu-tools
kodi
kwin-wayland
lib64cogl20
lib64d3d1
lib64d3d1
lib64d3d1
lib64d3d1
lib64dri-drivers
lib64dri-drivers
lib64dri-drivers
lib64dri-drivers
lib64drm-devel
lib64drm2
lib64drm_amdgpu1
lib64drm_intel1
lib64drm_nouveau2
lib64drm_radeon1
lib64gbm1
lib64gbm1
lib64gbm1
lib64gbm1
lib64kms1
lib64mesaegl1
lib64mesaegl1
lib64mesaegl1
lib64mesaegl1
lib64mesagl1
lib64mesagl1
lib64mesagl1
lib64mesagl1
lib64mpv1
lib64mutter-private0
lib64qt5egldeviceintegration5
lib64va1
lib64vdpau-driver-nouveau
lib64vdpau-driver-r300
lib64vdpau-driver-r300
lib64vdpau-driver-r300
lib64vdpau-driver-r300
lib64vdpau-driver-r600
lib64vdpau-driver-r600
lib64vdpau-driver-r600
lib64vdpau-driver-r600
lib64vdpau-driver-radeonsi
lib64vulkan_intel
lib64vulkan_intel
lib64vulkan_intel
lib64vulkan_intel
lib64vulkan_radeon
lib64vulkan_radeon
lib64vulkan_radeon
lib64vulkan_radeon
lib64xatracker2
lib64xatracker2
lib64xatracker2
lib64xatracker2
mpv
mutter
plymouth
qemu-system-aarch64
qemu-system-alpha
qemu-system-arm
qemu-system-cris
qemu-system-lm32
qemu-system-m68k
qemu-system-microblaze
qemu-system-mips
qemu-system-moxie
qemu-system-or32
qemu-system-ppc
qemu-system-s390x
qemu-system-sh4
qemu-system-sparc
qemu-system-tricore
qemu-system-unicore32
qemu-system-x86
qemu-system-xtensa
redshift
vaapi-driver-intel
weston
x11-driver-video-intel
x11-driver-video-nouveau
x11-driver-video-openchrome
x11-driver-video-vmware
x11-server-xorg
x11-server-xorg
x11-server-xorg
x11-server-xwayland
x11-server-xwayland
x11-server-xwayland
[rolf@z68x ~]$

Try `urpmq --whatrequires-recursive lib64drm2`

$ man urpmq
[,,,]
--whatrequires-recursive
           Reverse search to what requires recursively the package given (looking through
           virtual packages).
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 15th, '17, 00:03

aselluza wrote:I might be wrong, but I guess libdrm checks digital rigths and, as we all are using free software (that's the main point of using Linux) it blocks the use of dropbox. If that's right I wonder if it has any sense to keep a library that checks the use of digital rights in a free OS, and if the only purpose of that library is something that acts against free software and copyleft philosophy

Next time please at least do a quick google search before coming up with such guesses :roll:
libdrm is a direct rendering manager runtime and a component of the X server, it has nothing to do with digital rights management.
First hit when searching for libdrm: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/community/libdrm
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby francoisds » Dec 24th, '17, 16:04

Hello,
I don't known where to post this kind of question : I have a problem that seems similar.

I have a mail.be account but it's not possible to acces to the cloud drive : the respons is Directory not available (Use PROPFIND instead of GET).

Can you help me ?

Thanks

François

ps : I'm a belgian user of Mageia for his basic fonctions. I'm not used to use the 'chat' and can't find it : can you explain it or send me to the explanation ? again thanks
francoisds

Postby rolf » Nov 15th, '19, 15:36

the newest version of Dropbox will "work" under Mageia 6 (I have the 64-bit version) if you remove the file "libdrm.so.2". (I am not quite sure about the ".2). You won't be able to get to dropbox.com via the icon in the system tray, but it will work otherwise. I log in to dropbox.com via Firefox for a link. The moment you don't see the icon in the system tray, you know that it has updated itself. Perhaps you must remove libdrm.so.2 again.

Good luck with Dropbox.

Erik

Hi Erik,
You're solution has kept Dropbox working for me through every automatic update for almost 2 years! However, the latest update would not complete, according to the never-ending spinner in the icon and "Upgrading Dropbox..." always reported in its menu.
First, I tried the manual installation but that created a Dropbox that would not start, segfaulting with, "libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file..."
That prompted me to install libatomic1 and, so far, it works. FWIW.
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 16th, '19, 10:06

francoisds wrote:Hello,
I don't known where to post this kind of question : I have a problem that seems similar.

I have a mail.be account but it's not possible to acces to the cloud drive : the respons is Directory not available (Use PROPFIND instead of GET).

Can you help me ?

Hi there, please create a separate forum thread for your issue, thanks in advance.

Also, where's the relation between your mail.be account and the cloud drive related to dropbox ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Previous

Return to Basic support