HP Envy Photo 7155 printer

HP Envy Photo 7155 printer

Postby garymon » Nov 11th, '17, 18:08

I just purchased this printer. However it is Linux supported but not Mageia. hplip is outdated. It needs to be 3.17.9. I need to do a manual install. I am strictly a user and this is a problem. It certainly would be beneficial to users to have current printer support. I have been a Mageia user since the beginning. I am using Mageia 5 with the latest updates. It would be greatly appreciated if someone would update hplip.
Gary
garymon

Re: HP Envy Photo 7155 printer

Postby garymon » Nov 12th, '17, 22:04

No support for HP. Amazing. Probably the only distro that doesn't. WHY???? I tried to install the update but had problems in the command line. My aged brain could not resolve the issue. At least Mageia recognizes the printer and I can use it with limited capabilities. I have been extremely pleased with Mageia until now.
garymon

Postby xboxboy » Nov 13th, '17, 00:12

Couple of things. Mageia is a community distro, it is built from peoples spare time, so expecting everything is a little ambitious.

Secondly Mageia 5 isn't the current version. Did you see which HPLIP is in mageia 6?

Third thing, some times later updates end up in the backports repo, which people often forget to check.
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 13th, '17, 20:08

garymon wrote:No support for HP. Amazing. Probably the only distro that doesn't. WHY????

Bumping a thread after one day without a response, and yelling no support, why? And then mentioning in the second sentence that the printer works although with limited capabilities. Amazing.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby garymon » Nov 26th, '17, 18:19

Sorry for the bad comment. I have been very frustrated as a user. The printer works. However the scanner does not. I am strictly an aged user. I have been with Mageia from the beginning and have always used an HPLIP printer. I have tried to update HPLIP without success. I consistently get an error in terminal which I don't understand. I guess my only solution seems to be to try and return the printer/scanner and try and find an older one. I cannot print from Gimp either. Thanks for understanding an 83 year old man.
garymon

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 26th, '17, 20:59

garymon wrote:I consistently get an error in terminal which I don't understand. I guess my only solution seems to be to try and return the printer/scanner and try and find an older one.

Well, you could maybe post that error so others could help you try to understand what it's about and maybe how to solve or workaround it?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby garymon » Nov 26th, '17, 22:46

There was to much for me to understand. I am going to buy another printer scanner. Hope I get the right one. It is hard for me to figure out which printer to buy.
garymon

Postby wintpe » Nov 27th, '17, 14:29

im tending to get people to move away from inkjet printers now.
not because they are troublesome under linux, quite the opposite they work as well as any others.
but they break down after about 2 years of use, or clog up with stale ink.

the cartridges are expensive for the turnover you actually get out of them, for example,

you spend £20 on a set of compatible cartridges or double on originals,

most of it gets used in cleaning,

and your actually lucky if you get 30 pages out of them, meaning an overall cost of aprox a £1 per sheet.

while lasers do cost more initially, they tend to be built better, and your more likely to get a consistent 10 p a sheet cost, when using compatible
tonner.

the one i recently recommended to my sister in law (running mga5) was a samsung 1810w which works out at 146 at the moment at printerland.

and compatible cartridges from amazon are around £70 (you get upto 1500 sheets of paper out of that)

theres no scanner with that, for that you need the C1860 version, which my friend chris has, and is running mga5.

I know the printer works fine with Mageia 5 , cant remember if the scanner worked now.

personally id recommend get a separate scanner, someone was selling the epson 330 i have for £50 pounds on ebay (he had 10 of them and a friend of mine bought one, very happy) and that works fine with mageia 5 and 6.
that guy seems to have sold all of his 10, but this one looks similar

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epson-Perfec ... SwXaRaBL5P

as with any recommendation i make, it worked for me, your mileage might vary.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby garymon » Nov 28th, '17, 20:50

Thanks for the info. Checking HP today I found that there is no printer currently manufactured that is supported by the installed HPLIP. Really depressing as I have been using mageia from its beginning and HP printers. How do I determine what other brand printer is supported? I am strictly an aged user. I have been unable to update HPLIP.
garymon

Postby xboxboy » Nov 29th, '17, 01:40

Are you still using Mageia 5? It's less than 40 days from end of life, so you'd be better off looking at using Mageia 6, and the drivers there: I don't know if the HPLIP driver in mageia 6 is newer than in 5, I would expect so.

I seem to be lucky here in Australia, in that our computers/printers etc are usually old models, and I've never been caught, and I use HP printers. I buy ink in bulk for my business, and once had that printer die while I had a box full of ink, so I hit the second hand market and found a low use printer. Maybe consider looking at second hand markets, but get a better version than base model, they're often built far better than personal use printers and will last better.
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 14th, '18, 20:21

doktor5000 wrote:You can follow https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21945

As a followup, I've submitted an update candidate for hplip 3.17.10, if you want to help test it ... but it's only for Mageia 6.
----
doktor5000

Return to Printers and Scanners