Mageia 6 Plasma Dolphin crash

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia 6 Plasma Dolphin crash

Postby rychok » Jul 24th, '17, 16:40

Before reporting any bug I'd like to confirm I'm not only one having it due to specific hardware or installation, so after fresh installation I see 2 issues with dolphin:
1) about 50% of times I'm getting crash notification when I'm closing it using the "Close" button .
2) holding ctrl or shift does not work when dragging files between windows( I have not tried split window), I'm always getting popup with options (I think it was same at some point on KDE3 to KDE4 change)
It also stopped responding on deleting more than one file.
Probably there will be more issues, since KDE has done it again, replacing something they finally got almost as good as previous one (KDE4 to KDE 3.5) with something new loosing on the beginning some customization, usability and software.
rychok

Re: Mageia 6 Plasma Dolphin

Postby wintpe » Jul 25th, '17, 12:42

1) about 50% of times I'm getting crash notification when I'm closing it using the "Close" button .

yes im seeing that all the time on my desktop, built from mga6rc and updated, hw phenomII 1100T, GT560 , 16 gig mem, 990FX chipset

maybe we need to clear out .kde4/.config pain as ive customized my desktop to just the way i like it.

2) holding ctrl or shift does not work when dragging files between windows( I have not tried split window), I'm always getting popup with options (I think it was same at some point on KDE3 to KDE4 change)

that works OK for me, perhaps its something odd with your kb/mouse

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby rychok » Jul 25th, '17, 14:16

Thanks Peter,

The add thing is that it works fine when used in split window or between tabs, so mouse and keyboard status are recognized just nut applied between separate instances of dolphin.

best regards,

Ryszard
rychok

Postby roadrunner » Jul 25th, '17, 14:44

rychok wrote:It also stopped responding on deleting more than one file.

I'm also having this problem when I mark multiple files and then select "Delete" from the Right-Click menu.
- Mageia6 - 64-bit - Plasma 5.8.7 -
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
- 8Gb RAM - nVidia 8500GT GPU -
roadrunner

Postby wintpe » Nov 21st, '17, 16:56

Id like to bring this to the front again

I origionaly though this small collection of us, just had some obscure config that was causing this.

but since getting my new system up and running, a new fresh install, im till getting crashes in dolphin and gwenview when closing the apps.

and once in a blue moon a ladybird icon and a completely locked up plasma session.

control-alt-backspace gets me back after logging on, so its definitely display issue.

these two problems may or may not be related.

by the way ive updated the heading to be clearer what the subject is about, ie crash

regards peter
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: Mageia 6 Plasma Dolphin crash

Postby Plisgyn2 » Nov 21st, '17, 21:25

I am also getting the same plasma lockups with an fully updated mga6 with a GF108 [GeForce GT 420] video card and NVIDIA GeForce 420 series and later driver.
Plisgyn2

Postby wintpe » Nov 22nd, '17, 16:31

im also on nvidia, i saw it on my gtx 560 and 1070ti, ill have to fire up my geforce 630 system and see if that also does it.

not seen it on my laptop which is ivybridge based built in graphics chip.

anyone else seeing this only on geforce.

the latest drivers are not at fault so to speak, as it has done it well before they came along, basically since mga6 was released, id say.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby Plisgyn2 » Nov 27th, '17, 13:31

Plisgyn2 wrote:I am also getting the same plasma lockups with an fully updated mga6 with a GF108 [GeForce GT 420] video card and NVIDIA GeForce 420 series and later driver.

Update - after latest update to nvidia drivers 384.98 problem seems to be fixed.
Lockups with a red bug showing on Taskbar are back again, it doesn't seem tied to any particular program, logging out and back in clears it.
Last edited by Plisgyn2 on Jan 1st, '18, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Plisgyn2

Postby GNUguy » Dec 10th, '17, 05:59

Not for me. Using an nVidia GF108 (GeForce GT630). Current driver is 384.98. Dolphin is still crashing.

I've switched to using Krusader. It isn't crashing.
Last edited by GNUguy on Dec 21st, '17, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
GNUguy

Postby jmsarat » Dec 21st, '17, 13:28

Same problem with GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] and driver 384.98-1.mga6. When Dolphin stops responding, it is using 12% of the CPU and I have to kill it to use it again.
Maybe it's related, when restarting from a suspend to disk or to ram, the the desktop display is partially garbled (text under the icons) an OpenCL is not available to application using it with the message : "could not get platforms: -1001"
jmsarat

Postby Gelsenbury » Jan 4th, '18, 19:42

A crashing file manager is kind of a big deal. I'm still too worried to upgrade to Mageia 6. :(

Are the issues described in this thread perhaps related to these existing bug reports?
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17507 - deleting files causes crash in KDE ... although this says Mageia 5 and KDE 4.
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21296 - error message when Dolphin closes
Gelsenbury

Postby zeebra » Jan 10th, '18, 17:49

rychok wrote:Before reporting any bug I'd like to confirm I'm not only one having it due to specific hardware or installation, so after fresh installation I see 2 issues with dolphin:
It also stopped responding on deleting more than one file.
Probably there will be more issues, since KDE has done it again, replacing something they finally got almost as good as previous one (KDE4 to KDE 3.5) with something new loosing on the beginning some customization, usability and software.

Only dolphin crashes? Or also Plasma? Do you get KDE bug report?

I recommend filling the bugreport to KDE and possibly also on the KDE forum.
zeebra

Postby wintpe » Jan 15th, '18, 11:07

The crashing of dolphin only happens on close.
happens in mga6
its never happened to me during an operation.
and yes it still happens regularly btw.
regards peter
wintpe

Postby spring » Feb 9th, '18, 16:45

I don't get a crash, i just get the instance of Dolphin going Zombie, and taking 100% of a processor until i manually kill it sometimes.
Also, cannot copy/paste from tab to tab in Dolphin sometimes, but same operation is fine between 2 instances of Dolphin.
Also, some strange issues with SAMBA shares asking for passwords, which is new in Mageia 6.
using the Geforce 420 nVidia driver, and no major changes to Stock Plasma MGA6.
I had 'black screen' failure when i installed mga6 over my /home from mag5, and fixed this by removing some of the .kde4 (i forget which ones, but desktop related) folders in /home to get plasma to start.. maybe i'll do the same with dolphin related configs.
spring

Postby spring » Feb 12th, '18, 11:58

Had my first ever "crash on exit" incident with Dolphin just now, as described earlier in this thread by others - so it is a thing for sure.

Some other very odd stuff i'm noticing now with Firefox failing to switch the view output from tab to tab - so You can click on a different tab, and the title in the top bar will change to display whatever that tab is doing, but the view stays at a frozen snapshot of the previous view - needs a restart of firefox to get it working again. Also, Ktorrent will appear to freeze in the same way sometimes when opened - again, like firefox, it is processing/functioning in the background, but the view has frozen, again needing a restart.
spring

Postby wintpe » Feb 12th, '18, 13:21

the updates team are preparing a new update of plasma/kde.
while i dont know if this will address this issue, its certainly worth hanging on for as the issue itself, is only a minor irritation.
and yes i feel your pain as i get it all the time.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby spring » Feb 12th, '18, 14:07

Ah, it's not the end of the world - maybe i will switch off the eye-candy 3d desktop thingy, compiz or whatever it is called these days, i bet that help, always did in the past when KDE took on eye candy and bloat :) ALT+SHIFT+F12 to toggle BTW..
spring

Postby spring » Feb 14th, '18, 10:50

Turning off the desktop effects with the F12 trick causes things like the clock/panel/taskmanager bar and any widgits to freeze until you re-enable them, so if You still want to see what time it is (etc.) then You need to leave things as they are.
spring

Postby wintpe » Feb 26th, '18, 10:47

ive updated my plasma/kde to the latest updated-testing version.

I can honestly say ive not had a dolphin crash since.

I would wait until its pushed to updates before jumping to it, unless your not worried about other issues creeping in,

but its good news anyway.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby spring » Mar 6th, '18, 12:56

Just noticed that KONSOLE is also crashing on exit, and then taking up 100% of whatever processor it was last using sometimes. There is no notification of this, you just notice one processor is maxed out doing nothing.
spring

Postby oldcodger » Mar 8th, '18, 14:39

I find that anything with a K does exactly the same.
So I of the opinion that is not a Mageia fault. But it only happens with Mageia 6 release.
I have gone bakc to Mageia 5 release so that I have a workable desktop.
oldcodger

Postby wintpe » Mar 9th, '18, 12:33

spring/oldcodger

while im not disputing your experience.

the way you say it suggests theres a problem with mageia 6 thats not getting fixed.

I can say i have 1 laptop, 2 64 bit systems, a 32 bit system, all running mga6 and not one of those is experiencing this since the updates, or the crashing of konsole.

There has to be something about your situation that is contributing to this.

can you tell us more about your hardware so we can see if there is not someone else running the same hardware , and see if they are also experiencing the same.

so we can see if this is a bug or not.

thats the cost of using an open source free operating system.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby spring » Mar 14th, '18, 22:45

Yes, i'm suspicious that only a small group have these problems. I'm also noticing the Device Notifier crashing, and i have noticed messages about 'graphics restarting' once or twice - i stupidly didn't make a note of the exact error message/notification as i was busy, but there is something rotten with my system for sure. NEVER a bother with <= MGA5 & KDE, just new plasma.

My install retained only the /home from (many) previous MGA/Mandriva installs, and plasma was not originally working when i finished installing MGA6 - stuck at a black screen until i deleted some .KDE4 folders in /home - maybe this is caused by residue from previous KDE settings?

Hardware:

Code: Select all
$ lspci -vv
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8388
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        NUMA node: 0
        Capabilities: <access denied>

00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff [size=4K]
        Memory behind bridge: fd000000-feafffff [size=27M]
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000ce000000-00000000dfffffff [size=288M]
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp

00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: None
        Memory behind bridge: feb00000-febfffff [size=1M]
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: None
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff [size=4K]
        Memory behind bridge: None
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fbf00000-00000000fbffffff [size=1M]

00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8389
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
        Region 0: I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at a000 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at 8000 [size=4]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 7000 [size=16]
        Region 5: Memory at fcfffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at fcffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
        Kernel modules: ohci_pci

00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Region 0: Memory at fcffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17
        Region 0: Memory at fcfff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel modules: ehci_pci

00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Region 0: Memory at fcffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Region 0: Memory at fcffb000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
        Region 0: Memory at fcfff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel modules: ehci_pci

00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M4A785TD Motherboard
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort+ <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Kernel modules: i2c_piix4, sp5100_tco

00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64
        Region 0: I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 03f4
        Region 2: I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at 0374
        Region 4: I/O ports at ff00 [size=16]
        Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp
        Kernel modules: pata_atiixp, pata_acpi, ata_generic, atiixp, ide_pci_generic

00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Latency: 64
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=64
        I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff [size=4K]
        Memory behind bridge: None
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: None
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-

00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: Memory at fcffa000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 0
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 1
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 2
        Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 3
        Kernel driver in use: k10temp
        Kernel modules: k10temp

00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 4
        Kernel driver in use: fam15h_power
        Kernel modules: fam15h_power

00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 5

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 640] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83f3
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 30
        Region 0: Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 3: Memory at ce000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Region 5: I/O ports at cc00 [size=128]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia_current

01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83f3
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
        Region 0: Memory at fea7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

02:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Controller (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 85bf
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
        Region 0: Memory at febf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8 series motherboard
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 29
        Region 0: I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        Region 2: Memory at fbfff000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Region 4: Memory at fbff8000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

04:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio (rev 10)
        Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64 (500ns min, 6000ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
        Region 0: I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_cmipci
        Kernel modules: snd_cmipci
spring

Postby wintpe » Mar 15th, '18, 17:21

spring
your system is not that different from my asus crosshair v-formula amd 990FX based and i have a geforce 650
thats my second 64 bit system. with an 1100T in it.

each evolution of linux uses a bit more memory so it could still be at the outer edge a hardware issue, but its very unlikely.

make 100% sure you are not overclocking, as ive had stability problems even when only a small overclock, i had intermittent SSD errors, not what you would expect from overclocking.

I think perhaps back up the data in home , mkfs the home partition and restore only your data, leave all the dot files out export your firefox bookmarks, and keep your thunderbird .thunderbird directory

i personaly always backup and reformat between releases, Im not going to say this is best practice as i dont want to undermine any of the work the developers do to make this upgrade work, but in cases such as yours i think it has to happen.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby spring » Mar 17th, '18, 15:39

Even after eliminating the .dolphin folder, this is ongoing - parent process is KDEinit5, Dolphin fails to close properly and holds a core at 100% until manually killed.
I see some other distros in the past 2 months have had something similar with KONSOLE causing very high processor use after failing to close. I regularly use the F4 in Dolphin to get to a command line quickly in the folder i am working in, i will pay attention to this, see if it's related to the issue.

I won't be rolling back to MGA5 yet, as so far this has not caused any major issues for me - 1 total system freeze when using lots of Dolphin windows, and some serious loss of input (jittery mouse) when using Ktorrent once - but Ktorrent has been very flaky in MGA6 since day 1, regularly freaking out and freezing when called by opening a magnet file in Firefox, needing a restart.

It does concern me that our main file manager has issues though - if any updates make it worse i will roll back.

Also: no tweaking or overclocking whatsoever, but i will check now, make sure i'm vanilla at the bios.
spring

Next

Return to Basic support