Diagram - Mageia Media and the different types of users

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

Diagram - Mageia Media and the different types of users

Postby macxi » Jun 12th, '11, 07:05

Hello,

Below, I suggest an organizational diagram showing how different types of media Mageia relate to different types of users Mageia. I think that repository of software Mageia provides software for three types of users: the "common user", the "tester user (testator)" and the "developer user". I'm not sure if this diagram is right or not. But it is only a suggestion of viewing the system repository mageia, to be understood more easily for novice users:

1 - COMMON USER - In light blue - the repositories of the "Common user" (End User), for the computer in a production environment, and stable system. - The media should be able 1, 3, 11, 13, 21 e 23.

2 -ADVANCED USERS - In yellow and orange - the repositories for users ADVANCED, the one who wants last versions of software but without switching to Cauldron.

3 - USERS DEVELOPERS - in dark blue - the repository for users DEVELOPERS, with packages "debug" for records of procedures to find and fix bugs.

Diagram of the software repositories of Mageia

----------------->Click image to enlarge < -----------------

Note: This diagram was made ​​with the software Dia. If someone wants to translate, fix, modify it or improve it, just tell.

Below, Medias of Mageia Installed - the media enabled to the common user: the media 1, 3, 11, 13, 21 and 23.

How to install the media of Mageia

Note-1: the same page in the forum MageiaBrasil.

Note-2: This diagram was based on another diagramI made to the system repository of Mandriva 2010, last year. :)
Last edited by macxi on Aug 4th, '12, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
macxi

Re: Diagram - Mageia Media and the different types of users

Postby macxi » Jun 14th, '11, 14:54

Hi,

I made ​​this imagens to help the beginners understand what is the media (software repository) of Mageia.

Most windons user doesn't know what is a software repository and many new Linux users also not clear what it is and how it works, so I made these graphics as a suggestion.

Note: This diagram was made ​​with the software Dia.

---------------------> Click image to enlarge <------------------

Explanatory note on the site Mageia about software repositories:

Software online repositories

The packages in Mageia exist in three different repositories/media, depending on what license each package uses.

Here's an overview of those repositories:

Core:
    The Core repository includes packages with free-open-source software, i.e. packages licensed under a free-open-source license, the set of the Core media are added by default and the “Core Release” and “Core Updates” are enabled by default

Nonfree:
    The Nonfree repository includes packages that are free-of-charge, i.e. Mageia can redistribute them, but they contain closed-source software (hence the Nonfree name); For example this repository includes the nVidia and ATI graphics cards proprietary drivers, firmware for various Wi-Fi cards… etc. The set of the Nonfree media is added by default and the “Nonfree Release” and “Nonfree Updates” are enabled by default

Tainted:
    The Tainted repository includes packages under various licenses, free and nonfree ones, but the main criteria for packages in this repository is that they may infringe patents and copyright laws in some countries in the world (e.g. multimedia codecs needed to play various audio/video files, packages needed to play commercial video DVD… etc); as such the set of the Tainted media is added by default but not enabled by default, i.e. it's completely opt-in; so check your local laws before using packages from this repository. This repository is only added for the convenience of the users. This repository is to Mageia what PLF is to Mandriva users or RPM Fusion is to Fedora users.

Note-1:
    - There are, in all, 30 medias (in Mandriva are 32)
    - 10 Core, 10 Non free e 10 Tainted
    - There are 15 "normal media" and 15 "debug media" with tools for developers, ie, for each "normal media", there is a "debug media".

Note-2: the same page in the forum MageiaBrasil.
macxi

Postby isadora » Jun 14th, '11, 15:28

Thanks macxi for your outstanding job, will bookmark it.

Additional to your "Note-2":

Core:
The Core repository includes packages with free-open-source software, i.e. packages licensed under a free-open-source license, the set of the Core media are added by default and the “Core Release” and “Core Updates” are enabled by default
Nonfree:
The Nonfree repository includes packages that are free-of-charge, i.e. Mageia can redistribute them, but they contain closed-source software (hence the Nonfree name); For example this repository includes the nVidia and ATI graphics cards proprietary drivers, firmware for various Wi-Fi cards… etc. The set of the Nonfree media is added by default and the “Nonfree Release” and “Nonfree Updates” are enabled by default
Tainted:
The Tainted repository includes packages under various licenses, free and nonfree ones, but the main criteria for packages in this repository is that they may infringe patents and copyright laws in some countries in the world (e.g. multimedia codecs needed to play various audio/video files, packages needed to play commercial video DVD… etc); as such the set of the Tainted media is added by default but not enabled by default, i.e. it's completely opt-in; so check your local laws before using packages from this repository. This repository is only added for the convenience of the users. This repository is to Mageia what PLF is to Mandriva users or RPM Fusion is to Fedora users.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby macxi » Jun 14th, '11, 15:33

isadora wrote:Thanks macxi for your outstanding job, will bookmark it.

Additional to your "Note-2":

Core:
Nonfree:
Tainted:

Isadora,
To avoid confusion, I chose to replace my explanation for the explanation of the blog, which is much better.
Last edited by macxi on Jun 14th, '11, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby isadora » Jun 14th, '11, 15:42

You're welcome!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby macxi » Jun 14th, '11, 16:00

isadora wrote:You're welcome!!!

Isadora,

Thank you.
The files I'm editing (edited in the software "Dia", for exemple: Diagram-software-repositories-Mageia-en.dia), is available for translate into other languages, editing or correction, if someone requests.

Cheers :)

Note: the software "Dia" are in Mageia official repository, available for installation by the graphic-mode or text-mode.
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '11, 21:52

Could someone of the moderators team please move this and make it a Sticky?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jun 29th, '11, 23:45

Make it sticky - Done
Move it - whereto?
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 30th, '11, 08:59

Basic Support?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jun 30th, '11, 10:54

As for the description of my status I can moderate this forum "Other". (see "The team")
I can lock a topic, unlock it, even merge and split and make it sticky or even a global announcement. But I can't move it somewhere else!
Although I have given up to find some reason in the current permission system, in such situations I start asking myself what I am doing here anyway. :?

In short: you need a Global Moderator to do that. :D

Edit: and done
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby ennael » Jul 20th, '11, 15:40

Good job indeed

I have a small modification for you description. Mageia intends to provide usable backports packages not "use it at your own risks". So I would not say it should be dedicated to testers but 2 kind of users

- the one who does not want to upgrade packages and is just fine with current version
- the one who wants last versions of software but without switching to Cauldron

At least this is what is/will be notify in packaging policy
ennael

Postby macxi » Jul 21st, '11, 05:34

ennael wrote:Good job indeed
I have a small modification for you description. Mageia intends to provide usable backports packages not "use it at your own risks". So I would not say it should be dedicated to testers but 2 kind of users
- the one who does not want to upgrade packages and is just fine with current version

Ennael,

Thank you for your comment.
I will suggest something to change the diagrams.
macxi

Postby macxi » Jul 21st, '11, 17:48

ennael wrote:Good job indeed

Ennael,

I took a look in a Policies for Mageia project, Mirrors Policy of Mageia, and compared with the Backports Policy of Mandriva and Advanced use: Backports and candidate updates, and I modify as you suggested: two types of users: the "common user", the "advanced user" and the "developer".

1 - COMMON USER - In light blue - the one who does not want to upgrade packages and is just fine with current version.
computer in a production environment, and stable system. - The media should be able 1, 3, 11, 13, 21 e 23.

2 - ADVANCED USERS - In yellow and orange - the one who wants last versions of software but without switching to Cauldron. The media should be able 1, 3, 11, 13, 21 e 23 and more testing: 5, 9, 15, 19, 25, 29 and backport: 7, 17 27.

3 - DEVELOPERS - in dark blue - the repository for DEVELOPERS, with packages "debug" for records of procedures to find and fix bugs. The media should be able (all previous and more) (all pairs): 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.

Diagram of the software repositories of Mageia

Note 1: I'm not sure if this diagram is correct with policy Mageia. This is just a suggestion and I ask for help to fit it properly. It is only a suggestion of viewing the system repository Mageia, to be understood more easily for novice users.

Note 2: This diagram was edited in software DIA and exported to PNG format and edited in GIMP. If someone wants to translate to another language, fix, modify it or improve it, get here the editable file.

Note 3: In GIMP, I reduces screen width to 840, (layer to the screen size) and fill with yellow the figure "advanced user".

Hugs :)
macxi

Postby macxi » Jul 22nd, '11, 16:10

Hi,
The correct link to the software "DIA": Wikipedia: DIA and Official website of the software "DIA"
macxi

Postby ningbojoe » Aug 14th, '11, 08:01

Congratulations on this effort it will lead to a better understanding of Linux and how distros work.
ningbojoe

Postby DiBosco » Aug 31st, '11, 10:30

A pedant writes:

There is no such word as medias. Media is the plural of medium. It's a Latin word, hence the unusual way of creating the plural. Similar thing with criterion/criteria

Other than that, cool idea! :mrgreen:
DiBosco

Postby aa-kk » Aug 20th, '12, 22:05

Yes. it seems nice.
It has been made sticky? Well....nice to see, but if nothing will be done with it, by the Mageia dudes, then why bother?

In this case, use it or loose it, I'm afraid. But as votes go: you got my vote.

F.
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 25th, '12, 10:40

aa-kk wrote:Well....nice to see, but if nothing will be done with it, by the Mageia dudes, then why bother?

F.

The Mageia dudes? Well, we're all a community, who are "those Mageia dudes" that you mention?
Also, what exactly do you have in mind, what should be done with this?
----
doktor5000

Postby rollercomsolutions » Mar 29th, '13, 08:48

The number one most confusing thing about Mageia , GNU/Linux for people who've never used it before is trying to get them to understand where the software and updates come from and why tutorials or guides aren't working ("Which media do you have enabled?" .... Huh?)

This is spot on :ugeek:

doktor5000 wrote:
aa-kk wrote:Well....nice to see, but if nothing will be done with it, by the Mageia dudes, then why bother?

F.

The Mageia dudes? Well, we're all a community, who are "those Mageia dudes" that you mention?
Also, what exactly do you have in mind, what should be done with this?
rollercomsolutions

Postby guyjin » Jan 4th, '14, 07:03

macxi wrote:Image

Pardon my nitpick, but in row 3, column 3 of that image, someone has misspelled tainted.
guyjin

Return to The magician suggests...